Richard Thompson A Winding Road DVD in Dolby 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorO

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Just enjoyed A Winding Road: A Ramble with Richard Thompson, a 43 minute montage of life-on-the-road, soundchecks, concert excerpts and interview snippets with Richard Thompson and his bandmates of the Trio. There's a Dolby 5.1 mix but no menu at the top. My Oppo 103 played the stereo by default and had to go into audio choices in the Oppo to get to the 5.1.

It's a slice of life from recent tours across the US. The credits kindly identify the theaters that were utilized, although the viewer is left to link each venue with each song. It is a good quality DVD picture as it was filmed with hi-def cameras, which I know from being at one of the shows that is featured.

The mix is immersive for the concert footage. There are three unusual things here. 1) On Rocking Chair, the video and audio are out of synch in my setup, although the rest played with appropriate synch. 2) There is a brief presentation of Richard's speaking voice in a Darth Vader distortion/reverb thing--I can't explain it!

and 3) there's a segment when, to capture I suppose the sameness and weariness, Richard's voice pans around the room a couple of times!!! Now, not to be narrow minded, but RT's speaking voice circling around the listening room is quite a surround surprise! o_O

Back