RIP Conductor Seiji Ozawa

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I have at least two laserdiscs of Ozawa conducting, and they are both excellent performances. I also have the DGG recording of Russo and Gershwin. I haven’t been able to play anynof those for some time due to hardware failures, but as I recall, they sing and they dance.

He’s been out of circulation for a while, but he’ll be missed.

Ah, I actually know who this is! He was a student of Herbert von Karajan! And his nephew was in a band together with Cornelius!
How the multichannel tables turn...we have some Karajan records in multichannel, some Ozawa records in multichannel, and some Cornelius records in multichannel.

One of his more famous recordings , done in 1969, was of the Firebird Suite -- the finale of which became Yes's concert opening music in 1971 and for years after.

It was also, apparently, released in quad, though I've never seen it in any trading circles.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...c-general-discussion-thread.25804/post-706367

MjEtNDg1OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Led the Boston Symphony for three decades--and, early in his tenure there, participated in several excellent (and unusually discrete, for classical) quad recordings engineered by @Thomas Mowrey for Deutsche Grammophon, reissued on SACD in the PentaTone Remastered Classics series.

New York Times obituary ("gift" version):
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/09/arts/music/seiji-ozawa-dead.html
Humprof, I have a quad 8 transfer of Ozawa/BSO from around 1970 doing Petroushka and Firebird. It has some issues, but it's a still a pretty great listen.

Ssully,

Thanks for posting this. This is the 8 track cartridge I had. I don't have it anymore, as sadly the Captain passed on while he was working on it. I have two different transfers of the cartridge and one way or another we'll get them cleaned up and shared.

Back