RIP Moody Blues' Mike Pinder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
posted on his Facebook group just a little while ago:

In Honor Of Our Beloved Mellotron Man, Mike Pinder
(Musician, Father, Cosmic Philosopher & Friend):
Michael Thomas Pinder died on Wednesday, April 24th, 2024 at his home in Northern California, surrounded by his devoted family. Michael's family would like to share with his trusted friends and caring fans that he passed peacefully. His final days were filled with music, encircled by the love of his family. Michael lived his life with a childlike wonder, walking a deeply introspective path which fused the mind and the heart.
He created his music and the message he shared with the world from this spiritually grounded place; as he always said, "Keep your head above the clouds, but keep your feet on the ground." His authentic essence lifted up everyone who came into contact with him. His lyrics, philosophy, and vision of humanity and our place in the cosmos will touch generations to come.

439318542_10161943276257975_732425122693507933_n.jpg

And sadly, with Mike's passing, all the original members of the Moodies are no longer with us!
Well Justin I consider a real original. Or the leader of the MK II Moodies, as much an original as Ian Gillan is to Deep Purple.

Moody Blues...one of my favorite groups, favorite music and Pinder's songs, mellotron and vocals were a key part of what made them so unique.

Om - one of my favorite MB songs of all time, on my favorite MB album.
2 songs that are perfect tributes to Pinder's passing: Om and Out & In

Peace, as you journey through the universe.

That leaves Justin & John Lodge still with us. I hope the 2 of them can do some kind of music tribute to Ray, Graeme & now Mike.

Last edited:
Mike Pinder WAS the Moody Blues to me. All the best 'out there' tracks on the albums for me were his. I usually single them out to listen to.
RIP
The thing I love about The Moody Blues is that they had four competent front men, and Edge also participated with his poetry and a song here and there on each album. I seem to gravitate to bands with more than one lead singer such as The Beatles, The Who, Chicago, CSN&Y and especially the MBs.

Groups with a single front man and solo acts are OK, but they never draw me in as much as those bands where many members share lead vocal duties.

The Mike Pinder tracks on the Core 7 were always favorites of mine. No doubt I loved the Hayward & Lodge songs, but the Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder tunes really filled in nicely between the songs from the main two players. Time marches on and we all check out when our time comes, but Mike Pinder will always be with folks on the Earth as long as people play those timeless albums

"Someday I hope to see you shining when you're a free man again"

posted on his Facebook group just a little while ago:

In Honor Of Our Beloved Mellotron Man, Mike Pinder
(Musician, Father, Cosmic Philosopher & Friend):
Michael Thomas Pinder died on Wednesday, April 24th, 2024 at his home in Northern California, surrounded by his devoted family. Michael's family would like to share with his trusted friends and caring fans that he passed peacefully. His final days were filled with music, encircled by the love of his family. Michael lived his life with a childlike wonder, walking a deeply introspective path which fused the mind and the heart.
He created his music and the message he shared with the world from this spiritually grounded place; as he always said, "Keep your head above the clouds, but keep your feet on the ground." His authentic essence lifted up everyone who came into contact with him. His lyrics, philosophy, and vision of humanity and our place in the cosmos will touch generations to come.

439318542_10161943276257975_732425122693507933_n.jpg
Oh no! He brought the mellotron to the masses long before King Crimson. If you wanted one in that period, you had to be an engineer of it as well to keep it going, and he was such, besides being an excellent keyboardist.

This afternoon was my goodbye to Mike extended listening session:

The Sunset

Twilight Time

I Really Haven't Got The Time

Simple Game

Om

To Share Our Love

So Deep Within You

Have You Heard

Out And In

Sun Is Still Shining

How Is It (We Are Here)

Melancholy Man

My Song

Lost In A Lost World

When You're A Free Man
(Mom liked this song. She called it an 'old time' song.)

One Step In To The Light

Among The Stars

That is quite an impressive list of songs. Thanks, Mike. RIP

IMG_20240425_142641958.jpg

Back