SACD Player Recommendation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, whenever the manual refers to "digital outputs" it is referring to S/PDIF and not HDMI. Even though we know HDMI is digital. Poor choice of words, I guess.

That is certainly a poor choice of words, yet there are times when they qualify "digital output" with HDMI leading one to believe that A) they are using the term interchangeably, or B) that they are doing as you said (acting as if HDMI is somehow not a digital output); both are terrible choices.

"SACD digital audio is only available
through the HDMI outputs when
connected to an HDMI-compatible amp
that can handle protected audio contents."

It seems that Pioneer needs to clean up their manual.

I've looked through the manual for your player, and other than making sure that you have your subwoofer set to "On" and that you are set to 5.1 output, I can't say. My Denon has a menu specifically made to boost the bass output. With it off, I get almost no bass (definitely not enough for a satisfactory experience). With it on, I have audio bliss.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I have a Denon player and am not quite sure what you mean by "a menu specifically made to boost the bass output".

Can you elaborate?

The Denons can be confusing to set up properly and this is something I might want to use.

Thanks

I have a Denon player and am not quite sure what you mean by "a menu specifically made to boost the bass output".

Can you elaborate?

The Denons can be confusing to set up properly and this is something I might want to use.

Thanks

I will get the exact instructions next time I use it. If I just try and tell you, I'll surely mess it up.

:mad:@:

OK, after all this I believe I've found a solution to my problem! :D

I got an idea after I realized that since my speaker and receiver are inseparable, that it must know to roll off the bass frequencies to the subwoofer automatically. So I tried (from the Pioneer side) setting all my speakers to "large" even though they aren't full range and the subwoofer to "on". From what I can gather, this is sending all the possible bass information from the Pioneer to my Logitech. I figured my Logitech must be sending the proper information to my sub because it's now outputting way more bass than it did with the speakers set to "small" on the Pioneer.

This leads me to believe that the Pioneer's "bass management" isn't really managing much of anything. I figured setting the speakers to "small" would roll off the bass frequencies to the LFE channel, but what it actually feels like is it's just attenuating the bass frequencies for the satellites.

I know the Logitech Z-5500 isn't exactly ideal for SACD listening but at least I can now hear my favourite albums in uncompressed 5.1 which is what I was going for. Again, I'm sort of new at this so if anyone can revise my setup or give me any additions tips/info, it would be greatly appreciated. Everyone has been nice and informative so far, I'm glad I was able to sort out this problem.

Eventually I'll be adding an HDMI receiver to the mix so I can enjoy pure DSD but until then, this seems to do the trick. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Back