Sansui QRX-7001 Christmas story

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have been watching this forum for years and finally decided to jump. So, taking the advice of many who have gone before, I started looking for a Sansui QRX-7001. I found one that looked promising on eBay in early December and purchased it for around $250. The description said:

"You are bidding on a Vintage Sansui QRX-7001 4 Channel Receiver Working. This receiver is in great cosmetic condition and appears to function as it should. We do not have speakers to test, but from our understanding it came from a working environment."

Just as the Holidays were kicking in, it arrived. I quickly plugged it in - saw that all of the lights worked - and then put in on the shelf thinking I'd have time to look at later during the break. Well, later turned out to be this past weekend - after the parties and celebrations were over. I hooked it up to my speakers with anticipation and spun through the FM bands -- and nothing! No sound at all. Not even any static without FM mute.

Thinking maybe the tuner was shot, I hooked up my turntable. Again nothing. I tried a few other line level sound sources and still nothing. I know I'm setting it up correctly, because I also purchased a 9001 (that Obbop found) a week later and while it has a few problems until it warms up (read re-solder candidate) -- it at least works somewhat.

I sent an email to the seller and of course got "I am sorry but unfortunately we can not take this item back being it has been so long."

So, I am not going to get discouraged. I wanted to jump into this hobby and restoration seems as good a place as any to start. As I've been diagnosing this, I've found some information on how to test these without speakers. Headphones is an obvious choice. Also, if the tuner strength and signal meters don't move as you turn the tuner dial, it's a sure sign there is a problem. An expensive lesson, but I'll be smarter next time.

Also, if I've read the historical posts correctly, this is most likely a 2436 preamp board problem. I've ruled out the protection circuit, because the headphones don't work either. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Thanks for listening,
- Ben

Last edited:
If you paid by Paypal and it's under 45 days of payment you can file a dispute through Paypal. Perhaps try for a partial refund at least.

If you paid via credit card, you have 90 days, I think, to challenge any purchase you made.

MTGC (Michael)

I have asked the seller for a partial credit given it did not arrive as advertised. I would prefer to settle it agreeably, but I might have to go the disagreeable route.

Is there any way to determine if this can be brought back to life? I mean, is there a way to verify the unobtainable parts so that I can have some confidence the problem is resolvable?

Thanks,
- Ben

Is there any way to determine if this can be brought back to life? I mean, is there a way to verify the unobtainable parts so that I can have some confidence the problem is resolvable?

Thanks,
- Ben

Yes, but if you are starting out on a "1st" project at restoration, you are at a disadvantage since "no sound" and "doesn't work" doesn't give anyone here much to work with. Hopefully, you paid for this through PayPal and can challenge the sale as coming from a dishonest seller. When the item you bought on eBay is not as advertised, and the seller has fed you some BS, get tough. I say this from experience. I have been selling and buying on eBay for just about as long as they have been around. If you paid directly by credit card, you have 30 days from your statement date to protest. If you paid directly to the seller using a debit card,, MO or check, well... to use an old Vietnamese phrase "sin loy", sorry 'bout that.

since "no sound" and "doesn't work" doesn't give anyone here much to work with.

There are a few more clues than that. The Tuner meters don't move when I scan the FM band and the headphones don't work. Since the headphones would work if the problem were a protection relay, I believe it means there is something basic wrong; like the control boards or maybe the transformer.

However, I've decided to get tough and after exchanging a half dozen emails with the seller (all civil) I opened a dispute on PayPal. We'll see where this goes.

Back