Sansui QSD-1 (Japan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an OPENING bid of over $500? Yeah, right! I sure hope nobody gives him the pleasure.....but there's always some sucker out there who will keep these kind of leeches in business.....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

A QSD-1 in this condition is easily worth $600.00. You are getting upset with the guy just because he knows the market? If I were selling mine I would probably pick a similar opening bid. There is no reserve on the auction, so the guy is simply protecting himself on the downside with high opening bid.

This unit will sell, no doubt about that.

"A QSD-1 in this condition is easily worth $600.00"

Why? What does this thing do that one of the x001 series receivers dosen't? Actually, it does a lot LESS! Sure, I understand the argument about an item's "rarity" or "collectable value"....but this kind of "value" only comes about because just like old guitars and albums, people sit this stuff on a shelf and never use (and thus enjoy) it, taking it out of circulation among those who would....paying artificially inflated prices for something only perpetuates the "collector mentality" and ruins things for those of us among the great unwashed masses without unlimited funds....

"You are getting upset with the guy just because he knows the market?"

Nah, not at all....after all, this is still America (despite the best efforts of those currently in power), and I certainly have nothing against the profit motive. If someone knows the market, then they should feel comfortable taking their chances in it instead of outright trying to gouge people....

"This unit will sell, no doubt about that"

As I said, there's always some sucker out there....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

john e. bogus said:
"A QSD-1 in this condition is easily worth $600.00"

Why? What does this thing do that one of the x001 series receivers dosen't? Actually, it does a lot LESS! .....Nah, not at all....after all, this is still America (despite the best efforts of those currently in power), and I certainly have nothing against the profit motive. If someone knows the market, then they should feel comfortable taking their chances in it instead of outright trying to gouge people....
Wow, I didn't know this forum attracted folks with such diatribe. Before you condemn someone trying to sell an extremely rare item as this, and making statements as the above, you should check with people in the know about Sansui, such as (tada) QuadBob. Do u know how many of them are around? I can't give u the number but it isn't many, in the several hundred maybe. QB has a good idea. Post a question and ask him...then decide how much it is worth.

As far as your political opinion, what does that have to do with quad??? Nothing!!! Vote yor conscience in Nov and vote with your dollars by NOT bidding on the QSD-1. You sound like a sore loser, or sour grapes that you can't pay the price of entry.

I've been beaten out many times trying to buy unique quad LP's on Ebay by someone who had "unlimited funds." While I may post a teasing message here from time to time, I don't get worked up about it. On to the next.

Whoever buys this, I'm sure, will not let it sit on a shelf but get many years of enjoyment from this rare and high end decoder. Bid on a used x001 receiver if you don't have one and have QB restore it. Guess what, dude, QB charges over a $1K to restore one, so you will still have to pony up...

grow up
ss9001

john e. bogus said:
... What does this thing do that one of the x001 series receivers dosen't? ...

The QSD-1 is a rare triple band QS decoder unlike the x001. It means that there are 3 decoders inside (bass, middle and treble). It performs very well and in my humble opinion the detail is much higher as with a x001 receiver.

Tobi

PS: please keep a cool head if you write next time

Last edited:
Cai is right, the opening bid is NOT out of line. If it is for Mr. Bogus, then he should move on. That is the beauty of the free market; you have a choice. With Cai's help, I bought a QSD-2, and I can tell you that I would MUCH rather have an outboard Variomatrix decoder than a QRX reciever because there is a LOT less to go wrong after 25 or 30 years, and a lot less to recap and refurbish for the same performance.

It is ONLY MY OPINION, but the rest of thefunctionality of a QRX receiver is redundant (and I own two of them myself), and easily replaceable with modern, better-sounding, and more trouble-free components. It is ONLY the Variomatrix that is important. The bottom line is, RELAX Mr. Bogus, and don't freakin' bid on it. Someone who sees its value will get an excellent piece of equipment for a FAIR FREE MARKET PRICE ... no more, and no less. Mike.

Quadzilla said:
Cai is right, the opening bid is NOT out of line. If it is for Mr. Bogus, then he should move on. That is the beauty of the free market; you have a choice. With Cai's help, I bought a QSD-2, and I can tell you that I would MUCH rather have an outboard Variomatrix decoder than a QRX reciever because there is a LOT less to go wrong after 25 or 30 years, and a lot less to recap and refurbish for the same performance.

It is ONLY MY OPINION, but the rest of thefunctionality of a QRX receiver is redundant (and I own two of them myself), and easily replaceable with modern, better-sounding, and more trouble-free components. It is ONLY the Variomatrix that is important. The bottom line is, RELAX Mr. Bogus, and don't freakin' bid on it. Someone who sees its value will get an excellent piece of equipment for a FAIR FREE MARKET PRICE ... no more, and no less. Mike.
I agree with all comments about having an outboard decoder compared to the receiver. As a 9001 owner, I personally know about the problems they develop with 25 yrs+ on them. Frankly, I've considered replacing it with the QSD-1 or QSD1000 decoders. But, they are so rare to find. And I've spent the price of admission twice on my 9001, buying it new in '79 and having it restored by QB. All I use the 9001 for IS the QS and CD4 sections. With Bob's installation of preamp outs, I have it connected to the analog multichannel in's on a Pioneer Elite flagship.

If I hadn't already spent the restoration $ on it and could get the CD-4 demodulator, I'd be bidding on this QSD-1 in a nanosecond!!:eek:

ss9001

"Before you condemn someone trying to sell an extremely rare item as this"

Who said I was condemning anyone?

"Do u know how many of them are around? I can't give u the number but it isn't many, in the several hundred maybe"

I've read that's it's more like about 2 dozen of them that made it to the US...

"then decide how much it is worth"

You've quite obviously missed my point!

"You sound like a sore loser, or sour grapes that you can't pay the price of entry"

Do I detect a bit of snobbery there? The "price of entry" can get pretty cheap for someone with a good bit of technical knowledge and a bit of elbow grease.... And what does schoolyard namecalling have to do with quad, anyways?

"I don't get worked up about it"

Sure sounds like it to me.....and if you think that I am, about to fall off my chair laughing is more like it....but if I get at least one person to *think*, then of course working a few people up is well worth it....

"Whoever buys this, I'm sure, will not let it sit on a shelf but get many years of enjoyment"

But what will it offer them over a piece of equipment that will do the *same thing or more for a fraction of the cost*? Will their enjoyment truly be through the use of the equipment? Or will it come from simply being able to say that they have one? Does simply "having one" REALLY make it worth so much more? THAT is the point, my friends.....to me, it dosen't.....

"from this rare and high end decoder."

So what's so rare about the very same circuit board that was used in thousands and thousands of receivers? If you really want to pay $600 or more only for the "rarity" of the metal box it comes in, I'm certainly not stopping you....

"Bid on a used x001 receiver if you don't have one"

My '6001 should arrive any day now.....can't wait to find out if they're really as great as everyone says they are!

"QB charges over a $1K to restore one"

I'll do my own restoration, that's easy enough....should I start offering this service myself and charge $950?

"you will still have to pony up..."

Let's see....so far I've got about $100 in a 4 channel tape deck to make my own quad recordings that are otherwise completely unavailable.....the '6001 will be hitting my doorstep for less than $50....I'll have to take stock of my capacitor bins and see what I have left....who says that quad has to be expensive? Just as in amateur radio, to me the fun of it is getting the same results as the guy who spent 20 times what I did or more....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Without getting into the "nuts and bolts" of this discussion :rolleyes: , I am trying to remember if the 6001 has the same decoders that are in the 7001/777/9001/999. I seem to recall that it does not, but I may be wrong..............and it won't be the first time! ;)

:-jon

"The QSD-1 is a rare triple band QS decoder unlike the x001. It means that there are 3 decoders inside (bass, middle and treble)."

Interesting.....is this documented anywhere? I wonder what they did to eliminate any crossover distortion-type artifacts....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

PS- Oh yeah....I almost forgot that my JVC demodulator cost about $20....

john e. bogus said:
"Before you condemn someone trying to sell an extremely rare item as this"

Who said I was condemning anyone?

"Do u know how many of them are around? I can't give u the number but it isn't many, in the several hundred maybe"

I've read that's it's more like about 2 dozen of them that made it to the US...

"then decide how much it is worth"

You've quite obviously missed my point!

"You sound like a sore loser, or sour grapes that you can't pay the price of entry"

Do I detect a bit of snobbery there? The "price of entry" can get pretty cheap for someone with a good bit of technical knowledge and a bit of elbow grease.... And what does schoolyard namecalling have to do with quad, anyways?

"I don't get worked up about it"

Sure sounds like it to me.....and if you think that I am, about to fall off my chair laughing is more like it....but if I get at least one person to *think*, then of course working a few people up is well worth it....

"Whoever buys this, I'm sure, will not let it sit on a shelf but get many years of enjoyment"

But what will it offer them over a piece of equipment that will do the *same thing or more for a fraction of the cost*? Will their enjoyment truly be through the use of the equipment? Or will it come from simply being able to say that they have one? Does simply "having one" REALLY make it worth so much more? THAT is the point, my friends.....to me, it dosen't.....

"from this rare and high end decoder."

So what's so rare about the very same circuit board that was used in thousands and thousands of receivers? If you really want to pay $600 or more only for the "rarity" of the metal box it comes in, I'm certainly not stopping you....

"Bid on a used x001 receiver if you don't have one"

My '6001 should arrive any day now.....can't wait to find out if they're really as great as everyone says they are!

"QB charges over a $1K to restore one"

I'll do my own restoration, that's easy enough....should I start offering this service myself and charge $950?

"you will still have to pony up..."

Let's see....so far I've got about $100 in a 4 channel tape deck to make my own quad recordings that are otherwise completely unavailable.....the '6001 will be hitting my doorstep for less than $50....I'll have to take stock of my capacitor bins and see what I have left....who says that quad has to be expensive? Just as in amateur radio, to me the fun of it is getting the same results as the guy who spent 20 times what I did or more....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus
John, You may be able to replace the caps, but the x001 had problems with cold solder joints. That was one of the major problems with aging. If you can repair those, more power to you. The Sansui's are VERY complex receivers, too. I don't know about the 6001, but the 7001 - 9001 are layers deep. If figuring it out and doing the repair yourself is fun to you, enjoy. It is beyond my ability. I opened up my 9001 recently, and I wouldn't have a clue how to start to disassemble it. It is far more complicated than the build of my modern Pioneer Elite 59TXi. QuadBob told me that it took him a long time and a lot of trial & error to figure how the thing was assembled. In the days the 9001 was made, it was a very complicated design, since multilayered PCB's, etc, were not in vogue then. I had a repair shop that did Sansui warranty repair work look at mine in the mid-80's and his comment was the labor cost alone to disassemble it just to get to the decoder boards would be hundreds, that I'd be better off buying a new "modern" receiver with Dolby.

Jon, I'm not totally sure myself on the QS decoder in the 6001, but if my feeble memory is working, the QS Variomatrix decoder was in the 7001, 8001, and 9001 only. I think the 6001 has standard QS so would not have the separation of the Variomatrix. I may be wrong, but don't think so.

John Bogus, I'm sorry I offended you, but you were the originator of this, with your criticism of someone selling something at a fair price. You obviously know more than me about how many of these are around, which makes your criticism somewhat more puzzling. I'm not going to waste time on this thread anymore. I did respond to your PM on the S&IC. Hopefully, I was helpful to you in your quest. No snobbery intended, and sorry you took it as such. Peace.:sun Enjoy your 6001!

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Was this the first quasi-flame war in QQ history????!!!!!

I wanna' join in!!!!!!!!

My Radio Shack passive decoder can outperform yer' overpriced QSD whatever any day!!!!

Nyah nah nah nah nah.......

And, yer sister wears jogging shoes.

Nyah nah nah nah nah....

(slinks away in shame after realizing the reversion to 7th grade antics)

"the QS Variomatrix decoder was in the 7001, 8001, and 9001 only."

If this is true, then I'm sure gonna be awfully disappointed....oh well, if that turns out to be the case, then I'll restore and trade it for something else....but I do recall reading that the Variomatrix decoders were in all of these models....and given that the models were a series, wouldn't that make sense?

"John Bogus, I'm sorry I offended you"

I'm not offended, no apologies necessary! Since when was an honest opinion anything to apologise for?

"My Radio Shack passive decoder can outperform yer' overpriced QSD whatever any day!!!!"

LMAO! Glad to see that at least one other person catches the humor! Now let's watch and see how much someone is willing to pay for a QSD-1....I'm willing to bet that it goes for at least a grand.....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Obbop said:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Was this the first quasi-flame war in QQ history????!!!!!

I wanna' join in!!!!!!!!

My Radio Shack passive decoder can outperform yer' overpriced QSD whatever any day!!!!

Nyah nah nah nah nah.......

And, yer sister wears jogging shoes.

Nyah nah nah nah nah....

(slinks away in shame after realizing the reversion to 7th grade antics)
Might have been!
I'll come better prepared for the next one. Good one, LMAO!

ss9001

Back