Sansui QSD-1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Woo-hoo! I finally got myself a QSD-1! This sucker looks as mint as mint can be. It even smells brand new! I'm seriously wondering if it has ever been used. It came complete with original owners manual and warranty registration card. No original carton, though. I can't wait to get home and give it a go!

Hey, write up a review when after yah' test drive it!!!!

And..... whadda' splendid inclusion to place on your page of visible decoding!!!!!!

Won't that be neat.... the great Tate VS Sansui showdown. Who will win the "visual race"????

It would be effervescent and aurally stimulating to perform a side-by-side aural comparison to compare and contrast the output.

Go for it Cai..... the quad community eagerly anticipates your opinions on the goody!!!!!!!

Well, I'm not going to do a full-blown "Tate VS Sansui" thing. I mean, the obvious thing is the Tate is best for SQ and the QSD-1 is best for QS. Besides that, you can compare the two units in their ability to synthesize surround-sound from stereo source material. I like both, and will use one or the other depending on a specific album, but generally I prefer Sansui's approach over Tate's for this. Some folks disagree, so it boils down to a matter of taste.

Also, you might be confusing me with Tab... he is the one with the "visual decoding" thing on his website. I don't have anything like that!

I did get a chance to play with the QSD-1 last night and compare it to my QSD-2. In terms of quad performance, it is my impression that the two compare very favorably to one another. In terms of separation, directionality, soundstage, and general quad performance, they seem very similar. However, the QSD-1 does offer a richer sonic presentation, with fat, robust tonality across the audio spectrum, giving it a very realistic presence. This is undoubtedly due to it's three-band design compared to the QSD-2, which is a single band unit. The QSD-2 is certainly no slouch and sounds great in its own right, but the QSD-1 won out in my informal test. It sounds exceptional!

I'll be keeping it as a backup for awhile, until I'm sure that the QSD-1 isn't going to suddenly blow up on me or something. When I reach my comfort zone, I'll probably sell the QSD-2. It's a special custom unit from Germany, and I paid an arm-and-a-leg for it... I'll want to try and recoup a majority of my investment, so it's not going to be an incredible deal or anything. Still, when I'm ready, I'll offer it to the group before going to eBay.

I figured as much. I probably can't afford it anyway. Times have been harder lately. I'm spending my quad dollars on DVD Audio discs. They seem to be the best value at this time.

The Quadfather

Yeah, I should probably do that. I need to send him my Tate as well. I won't do both at once or I'd go crazy with anxiety while they were out. What's his turn-around time like?

I sent "QuadBob" my QRX-999 and $300 deposit last August (2001), and still have not heard from him about it, other than he received it!! I know he is busy and has a lot to do, so he does not have much "spare time" to do thins kind of stuff.

I would assume his turn around time is fairly long :D

:-jon

QuadBob - He never made any promises, hopefully he will get to it soon. I told him "no hurry"!

:-jon

If you send it to Popham, I have the schematics and all for it which he will need. I recapped mine and got into a fix, but he got me out of it and tweaked the heck out of it. He didn't think much of it at first, then he listened to it while I was on the phone with him. After about 10 seconds I heard a "Oh, WOW!" Pretty funny moment....

Hello boys and girls! Who here would be interested in buying a near-mint condition Sansui QSD-1 decoder? I got lucky and managed to get my hands on a second one. I'm not the type to hoard equipment, so I am offering it to the quad community. If nobody here wants it, off to eBay it goes. I would like to get $550.00 for it. It is in beautiful cosmetic condition and is 100% operational. This is the real deal, guys!

Send me a private message if you are interested. I will wait one week and take the best offer at or above my asking price.

What's this? Nobody is interested in obtaining a QSD-1? Hey, this is the ultimate QS decoder! It is a professional, rack-mount, triple-band QS decoder that smokes all the others, including the rarer prettier looking QSD-1000, but that one is only a single band unit. The QSD-1 was the ONLY triple-band unit produced and has the equivalent of three QSD decoder in one. Each decoder operates on a separate portion of the audio spectrum for the ultimate in decoding and sonic presentation.

The unit I have for sale is a Japanese late-production model that has been converted from 100v to 117v. It functions FLAWLESSLY. There are no bad decoder chips or anything like that. It sounds incredible. It has the coveted vario-matrix circuit for phenomenal surround-from-stereo performance. In this aspect, I feel it beats the Tate almost all the time.

Cosmetically, it is virtually perfect, with the only annoying thing being a scratch on top. The faceplate and knobs are mint, so it displays wonderfully.

$550.00 for this thing is a really good deal. I don't doubt that I can get more than this off eBay. I would just rather see it go to the good home of one of my quadraholic buds!

Yeah...just when you go and sell something I want for my main system, I have no cash...as usual. Just my freakin' luck. Do you have a lay away?

Tab

I want it. I wanna' QSD-1. Sigh....... if you don't sell it I'll be done with this return to school stuff in a year. Once I'm working again I would buy it.

So............

If yah' still got it when I return to work... consider it sold!!!!!!

Okay, okay, that's the spirit!

Quadradial, I wish I could do the layaway plan but I need cash... I've got a bad Jones that needs fixin'...

If yah' gotta' sell it yah' gotta' sell it. But, if you are not in a hurry.... when I depart school and am working again I will most definitely be interested!!!!!!

But.... looks like it will be at least a year from now.

However........................... patience is a wondrous commodity!!!! hint hint : )

Back