Short User Review - Yes' "Fragile" DVD-Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kstuart

Hello,

This is a short review for people who are already familiar with the album "Fragile" by the musical group "Yes". (It's a classic of the genre called "prog rock" and like most music, if you haven't heard it, you might like it or you might hate it.)

I'm a fan of this group, I've seen them live more than once, and have several copies of this album on both LP and CD. Despite that, I'm only going to talk about the multichannel surround mix.

I consider this DVD-Audio release to be a "must have" for anyone who likes this group. Like most surround mixes, the album was transferred from the original multi-track tapes, thus bypassing some of the problems that have plagued "remasters" of the past decade or so that are done from the two-track mixdown masters.

The engineer, Tim Weidner, was the same person who engineered Yes' most recent studio album, so he is familiar with the band and their sound. And he did an excellent job on "Fragile". Here the use of more than two channels has the effect of allowing the listener to hear each instrument more clearly, because they don't overlap and conflict with each other, the way they inevitably do in any multi-miked and overdubbed recording reproduced in stereo. Thus, the use here of multiple channels is not gimmicky (instruments don't move from their starting position), but instead simply enhances the sound quality.

The result is a very clear and intimate experience of these performances. Highly recommended for Yes fans.

PS Instead of adding video extras (such as music videos), on this disk, they use the extra space to provide the album in many different formats: DD, DTS, HiRes Stereo and HiRes Surround. You can switch between HiRes versions for comparison, although it restarts the song when you do this. (BTW, I have yet to verify the DTS track - it is listed on the cover.)

Prior to my buying this DVD-A the total count of Yes' albums in my collection was 0. But, this disc was a turning point for me. I bought it on the chance I MIGHT be able to enjoy it and it FAR exceeded my expectations. So in my case it's a must-have for hesitant Yes fan. :lol:

The clarity of this disc is amazing, I just wish the mix was a bit more active.....it's a tad conservative.....but I'm a spaz.......

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Prior to my buying this DVD-A the total count of Yes' albums in my collection was 0[/quote]

Normally, I would suggest "Close to the Edge" as the logical next Yes album <strong>but</strong> it is the one they are currently trying to make into a DVD-Audio disk, so you should hold off and wait for that.

So, I would say that the next best thing is to go to your local video store and see if you can rent the DVD "Yessongs" which was filmed live a year or two after "Fragile" (and there is a matching Yessongs CD, but hey, why not rent for a couple of bucks just to try it).

Even though I didn't have any Yes in my collection, I'm still somewhat familiar w/ their catalog. I don't mind waiting for the "Close To The Edge" on DVD-A and if the delay has to do w/ find the original masters, then I appreciate them not trying to fob off safety copies just to get a release out. My next choice would be the "Yes Album" and I'd be content.

90125 is tailor made for 5.1!!! Trevor Horn's mental production will shine in multichannel.....can't wait to hear Leave It in surround! Please hurry with this one!

Back