Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pond built during the front drive rebuild and rear patio renovation (i.e. it was collapsing), so had to have a chunk dug-out and rather than fill it in, it became the start of a 7m x 2.5m pond! I got them to use the same tanking material (some kind of waterproof cement) that is used on cellars, basements, and lining water-tanks (so non-toxic). Its working really well and worked out about half the price of neoprene pond liners.

I have finally learnt not to do mechanical or building things, as it costs me a lot to do it, and then twice as much to get somebody in to fix it by doing it properly! :LOL:
I went cheapo this time with LLDPE liner. I don't like it. Very hard to get the folds smoothed out. But should last my lifetime. The original liner lasted over 20 years, I want to say it was PVC but don't really remember. I did not change the structure of the pond. I bought a 20x15 ft liner as I couldn't find a 20x10. I also bought those "liner blankets" to keep those pesky roots from puncturing the liner.
This time I had to do it all by myself, as my wife has COPD and can't do such things.
I hope in about two weeks I can get some fish back in the pond.

I've been trowling concrete and mortar for the past few weeks. It's just patching my pond waterfall and remortaring the large and small rock down the sides of the pond (I had to put a new liner in) and it's been kicking my old butt. Some of the rock is heavy, and a 6 gallon pail of concrete is killer. As well as the 80# bags of mortar.
Take it slow, Boonie. Trying to do too much in too short a period of time on a big project is what ultimately did in my knee cartilage.

Take it slow, Boonie. Trying to do too much in too short a period of time on a big project is what ultimately did in my knee cartilage.
Yeah I'm getting a bad case of knee-sels for sure. It's balancing on those rocks on the waterfall putting down mud that maxes out my balance ability. but I'm getting there. I would have probably been better off to strip everything off and start from scratch but too late now. lol.

OK you concrete guys. I'm decades from the days I used to do stucco and such, but a question?
I did some concrete-on-mortar patching, mostly reinforcment in spots, and I need to go back with a layer of mortar to smooth it out as I can't trowel concrete smooth around rock. Yeah I suck at it.
How long before I can skim some mortar on? I've been keeping the concrete patches dampened up several times today & yesterday (when I did the patching) to help with the shrinking but really need to get this in gear soon.

I went cheapo this time with LLDPE liner. I don't like it. Very hard to get the folds smoothed out. But should last my lifetime. The original liner lasted over 20 years, I want to say it was PVC but don't really remember. I did not change the structure of the pond. I bought a 20x15 ft liner as I couldn't find a 20x10. I also bought those "liner blankets" to keep those pesky roots from puncturing the liner.
This time I had to do it all by myself, as my wife has COPD and can't do such things.
I hope in about two weeks I can get some fish back in the pond.
I didn't know that your wife had COPD. I'm sorry to hear that and I wish her many more good days than bad ones.

Some light reading (800 pages) that just arrived.

As Ronnie van Zant might have written (and sung with surround accompaniment),

“Oh, lemme tell you all about it

Text books are made for learnin’
They ain't no good for nothin' else”

IMG_8930.jpeg

Some light reading (800 pages) that just arrived.

As Ronnie van Zant might have written (and sung with surround accompaniment),

“Oh, lemme tell you all about it

Text books are made for learnin’
They ain't no good for nothin' else”

View attachment 104730
Gadzooks! I see this is on Amazon for $250!

That is really sone spatial spending. Please share some insights as you go along

Gadzooks! I see this is on Amazon for $250!

That is really sone spatial spending. Please share some insights as you go along
It was on sale from the publisher for $200, and I’m a sucker for technical books. It’s quite comprehensive, from Ambisonics to wave field synthesis to all the nitty gritty about matrix encoding/decoding to binaural reproduction and HRTFs. My A16 really pushed me into wanting to know more, and what can I say, I’m a nerd and love all of the mathematics.

Plus since Ambisonics uses the same spherical harmonics as hydrogen wave functions I figure it can’t be all that obscure 😀.

I once bought “Reflections of a Nuclear Weaponeer” as a used book from Amazon, back when they were just an online book dealer. The author was my neighbor growing up, and I think I paid about $120. Take a look on Amazon at the used price now.

Last edited:
It was on sale from the publisher for $200, and I’m a sucker for technical books. It’s quite comprehensive, from Ambisonics to wave field synthesis to all the nitty gritty about matrix encoding/decoding to binaural reproduction and HRTFs. My A16 really pushed me into wanting to know more, and what can I say, I’m a nerd and love all of the mathematics.

Plus since Ambisonics uses the same spherical harmonics as hydrogen wave functions I figure it can’t be all that obscure 😀.

I once bought “Reflections of a Nuclear Weaponeer” as a used book from Amazon, back when they were just an online book dealer. The author was my neighbor growing up, and I think I paid about $120. Take a look on Amazon at the used price now.
Knowledge is fun. I dabbled with Ambisonics a bit for upmixing. These days I just want to listen to the music. :)

Listening to Luther Vandross's Never Too Much reminded me that i won a lip sync contest "singing" "A House Is Not A Home" back in 2018 at Oakton Community College–$200 that i gave to my daughter. Too much fun! Really LOVING the SDE release! Gonna bump it again!
Clem
how about a re-enactment? video it and put it up on here !

Back