Small problem with DiscWelder Chrome

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar problem and it ended up being that CHROME and CHROME II where reporting the incorrect size. I called Minnetonka and they confirmed it. Try removing a file or if you are using 5.1 try removing 'track 4' especially if you aren't using any LFE. This will reduce the total image size.

The latest update I've received has corrected the problem :)

I just hit the same problem with my own Discwelder Chrome, which is a few years out of date (I think it's something like 2.0.6).

I burned one DVD-A last week with no problems at all--in fact, one of the smoothest authoring burns I've ever done. It was all 44.1kHz/24bit files (borrowed the USB "Beatles" set to put onto disc for playback). First disc, all WAV files, 2-channel...smooth like buttah. I was even able to use ImgBurn to create an ISO image and burned a couple of backup copies. I burned right to disc--I did not make an image file.

2nd disc, I could not fit the remainder of the albums on, so I used MLP to compress the files. I got everything to fit, around 99.x% worth, and it hit that error. I compressed more of the files, and got to 97%. Same error. Compressed even more, and I'm at 95.32% (which was lower than what I had with Disc 1, which was around 96%). Still the same error. So I don't burn another coaster (as happened the first time out--the computer had actually rebooted itself in the middle of the night), I was burning to an image file first.

I'm thinking one of two things: 1) it may be MLP, or 2) it may be the fact that I'm not burning to disc, but burning to image. Those are the ONLY two variables. The only customizing I've done for both is put up some basic JPG backgrounds as menus, but both discs are pretty much the same in that respect. (IOW, no video content, no still images, etc.) I may sacrifice ONE more DVD blank on this. If not, I may be resorted to going back to all WAV files and spreading it across three discs. Which would be a waste, as with all WAV, I came out at only around 110%.

Frustrating...

Edit: I tried setting the disc size to "DVD-9", which puts it at 56% full. Still get the error.

When I'm done with homework, I'll try burning right to disc again, and hope like heck there isn't another error that burns a coaster...

In looking at how Discwelder operates, it assembles the DVD-A files into a temporary folder. To me it looks like all of the correct files are there. I'm thinking that if I put them into an AUDIO_TS folder, add an empty VIDEO_TS folder (which is how the other DVD-A disc came out), and create an ISO image from those, it might work. ImgBurn has the ability to detect if the potential disc is a DVD or not--I went ahead and used the Build mode on the two folders (with it asking if I intended to create a DVD, which I am), and it created an ISO image for me that appears to be correct. (I use MagicISO to mount disc images as virtual drives.)

Should I give it a try? :confused:

Here are the files:

Code:
 Directory of C:\temp\DiscWelder\AUDIO_TS

01/26/10  03:51 pm    <DIR>          .
01/26/10  03:51 pm    <DIR>          ..
01/26/10  01:50 pm             4,096 ATS_01_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:49 pm             4,096 ATS_01_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:50 pm       646,885,376 ATS_01_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:51 pm             4,096 ATS_02_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:50 pm             4,096 ATS_02_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:51 pm       480,696,320 ATS_02_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:54 pm             4,096 ATS_03_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:51 pm             4,096 ATS_03_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:53 pm     1,073,741,824 ATS_03_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:54 pm       444,780,544 ATS_03_2.AOB
01/26/10  01:55 pm             4,096 ATS_04_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:54 pm             4,096 ATS_04_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:55 pm       274,491,392 ATS_04_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:56 pm             4,096 ATS_05_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:55 pm             4,096 ATS_05_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:56 pm       454,713,344 ATS_05_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:57 pm             4,096 ATS_06_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:56 pm             4,096 ATS_06_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:57 pm       684,734,464 ATS_06_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:58 pm             4,096 ATS_07_0.BUP
01/26/10  01:57 pm             4,096 ATS_07_0.IFO
01/26/10  01:58 pm       515,895,296 ATS_07_1.AOB
01/26/10  01:49 pm           131,072 AUDIO_PP.IFO
01/26/10  01:49 pm            14,336 AUDIO_TS.BUP
01/26/10  01:49 pm            14,336 AUDIO_TS.IFO
01/26/10  01:49 pm           245,760 AUDIO_TS.VOB
              26 File(s)  4,576,401,408 bytes

Seems like a reasonable plan to me. (attempting it, that is)
Where you will need to box clever is to copy these temp structures before closing Chrome down, and it may work.
It may not - it all depends on the sectors that each file is placed on.
The alphabetical listing there ain't going to work as there have to be certain files at thestart of the disc - Audio_TS.IFO has to be first item, and the IFO & BUP files should *never* be next to each other.
This is where you will probably run into trouble.
Still - you can attempt tpo an RW disc, so only time to lose

It may not - it all depends on the sectors that each file is placed on.
The alphabetical listing there ain't going to work as there have to be certain files at thestart of the disc - Audio_TS.IFO has to be first item, and the IFO & BUP files should *never* be next to each other.

I'm not sure if ImgBurn has control over this or not. When you open a VIDEO_TS folder in ImgBurn, it seems to recognize the disc is a DVD, and burns accordingly. I've burned DVD folders like this in the past, and the discs have been fine. However, it may have recognized this DVD-A folder set as being a DVD, but did not know what to do with the AUDIO_TS folder.

Anyway, I gave it one last try, burning directly from Discwelder. After one coaster (buffer underrun...that's a first!), I managed to complete a burn. It's just about OK! The only problem is that two of the tracks have small clicks at the beginning of them. I checked both the WAV file and the resulting MLP files, but they play back OK. So it has to be one of two things: a burning error, or a glitch in the player. Thing is, after the disc is written, it is verified against the contents on the hard disk, so you think it would notice the glitch being something present in the sound file on the DVD vs. not being present on the original files. That leaves the player as the only other culprit: I'm using a Pioneer DV45A. But, I can hook up my DV578A if I need to, or check it on a couple of Denons a friend nearby has.

It's also interesting that both of these tracks are ones that use MLP. And it's not like they are the first track in a group that uses MLP either. (If you know the running order of Magical Mystery Tour and Past Masters Disc 2, "Hello Goodbye" and "Hey Jude" are in the middle.) On the Abbey Road group on this DVD-A, I switch from MLP for the first seven tracks, to WAV, and there is NO ill effect there either.

I'm going to attempt one more burn. Just for kicks, I'll substitute WAV files for the two errant tracks and see if that changes anything. I need to create a couple of backups anyway. If the glitches disappear, fine. If not, then so be it. I'm not losing sleep over it. :D The results sound really nice (24-bits, even at 44.1kHz, sound better than CD quality), and those small ticks are at the very beginning of the track before the music even begins, so they are not intrusive...just annoying!

And I guess we can write off the "error 56" as being a bug in this version of Discwelder, and also write off using Discwelder to write to an image first...

Rudy, I would really get the update. There are so many issues with the early builds of Chrome 2 it's just not funny.
Mine is currently at 2.0.28 or 29 (cannot remember) and I am sure there is a build 30 now that fixes a killer showstopper introduced in 2.0.25 or 26.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helv]Minnetonka Audio Discwelder Chrome 2, v2.30
(and earlier)

BUG: When creating a DVD9 (Dual Layer) Discwelder will automatically suggest an invalid layer break point. The software documentation is currently also wrong.
The disc will be burnt / the tape image written, but Eclipse will flag the error.

WORKAROUND: Contrary to what the documentation says, the layer break must be on a track point (beginning of a track), NOT on the beginning of an AOB file.
So when the layer break dialog comes up, expand the tree of the AOB file in which the LB must occur and pick any track point that falls within the acceptable sector range.
If the track point sector number is not divisible by 16, adjust the OFFSET (and hit refresh afterwards) until it is. Then enter that track point number as the Layer Break.
[/FONT]

Rudy, I would really get the update. There are so many issues with the early builds of Chrome 2 it's just not funny.
Mine is currently at 2.0.28 or 29 (cannot remember) and I am sure there is a build 30 now that fixes a killer showstopper introduced in 2.0.25 or 26.

I may update it one of these days. I rarely make DVD-A discs anymore, but I do like having something that works properly when I need to use it.

I did get a good final burn, too. I found out I had encoded a file to MLP that didn't reset the track timing, so there is about a minute of silence at the end of one track. (The Surcode MLP encoder, for some weird reason, makes you reset the start and end time whenever you load a fresh set of tracks.)

At any rate, it's done, and I"m using ImgBurn to make an ISO file so I can make a few clones.

I may update it one of these days. I rarely make DVD-A discs anymore, but I do like having something that works properly when I need to use it.

I did get a good final burn, too. I found out I had encoded a file to MLP that didn't reset the track timing, so there is about a minute of silence at the end of one track. (The Surcode MLP encoder, for some weird reason, makes you reset the start and end time whenever you load a fresh set of tracks.)

Simply use File/New instead - all gets reset for you automatically that way.

I wonder if one could add the video folder to iso file created in Cirlinca using an ISO Editor like winiso,ultraISO

Thanks for this hint - even if it was 5 years ago.

I was hitting the Error 56 issue with a compilation that was at a tad over 72% for just the DVD-A and 92.17% with the DVD-V added.

The solution was to create a DVD-A only ISO, and then add the VIDEO_TS contents using UltraISO.

Worked a treat.

Back