Smyth Research A16 REALISER Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve no interest in purchasing a Realiser because, as I’ve mentioned here several times, headphone listening (even stereo) just doesn’t work for me. But in any case, I’m not sure I fully understand the rationale behind the device. Why does it seem to be focussed on emulating the sounds made by an arbitrary set of loudspeakers in an arbitrary room rather than attempting to re-create the original recording environment? Seems a bit like being offered a very high resolution way to copy Polaroid snaps.
If headphone listening "doesn't work for [you]", why are you participating a forum dedicated to headphone listening (specifically binaural emulation over headphones, which is what the Smyth units aim/claim to do)?

I don't believe you have tried the Sennheiser RS-175. Because the in-head/out-of-head effect is SO PRONOUNCED with this unit -- I think it's a better front-center out-of-head effect than I get from the Smyth processors. In fact, it's how I can tell if I accidentally hit the SURROUND button when trying to raise the volume while listening/watching TV -- the audio center image pops back into my head. Then when I turn on the SURROUND effect again, the front-center L+R jumps out of my head back into the TV screen 9 feet in front of me. It's really STRIKING, the in-head/out-of-head difference with this unit.
I will track another set down and try again, maybe I was being too critical............................

Recommend you turn on Optical Stabilization for Head Tracking. To me that should be the default.

Otherwise the tracking wonders off and you have to keep hitting that button on top of the tracker (while looking directly at the display).

If you don't plan on using head tracking... Disable it in the menu system... Otherwise it may cause an auditory imbalance in your headphones.

Well... I'm either 5... or 6 maybe. Received mine last week. Paid full boat, was not a kickstarter... I have only spent a couple hours with it so far but I'm absolutely amazed. I look forward to exploring this amazing device.
Welcome to the club... You are in for a real treat.

Well... I'm either 5... or 6 maybe. Received mine last week. Paid full boat, was not a kickstarter... I have only spent a couple hours with it so far but I'm absolutely amazed. I look forward to exploring this amazing device.
Well, what do you think of your new Realiser?

Well, what do you think of your new Realiser?

I’ve been meaning to get back on this thread and post impressions, but I don’t have the head tracking or the HP EQs setup yet, if you can believe that! So no in depth review from me yet… I can say I think that even with my not completed setup this thing is everything I hoped for and then some. It’s amazing to me, even with upmixed two channel stuff. And it works perfectly with discrete MCH fed over HDMI both From my Roon Nucleus+ and Oppo 105. Very painless to get started with.

Anyway once I get the rest of this set up I’ll post again. :)

And it works perfectly with discrete MCH fed over HDMI both From my Roon Nucleus+ and Oppo 105.

Awesome... FYI... Depending on your source and output (5.1 or 7.1) in Roon... it may mix up the rear surrounds. You may find it necessary to use these settings for proper playback.

Screenshot_20220402-171248_Roon.jpg

Also, there seems to be a problem with 5.0 content and the communication between the Oppo and A16. It gets converted to 2.0. fortunately the same ripped SACDs play correctly in Roon.

Did you create your own PRIR?

Awesome... FYI... Depending on your source and output (5.1 or 7.1) in Roon... it may mix up the rear surrounds. You may find it necessary to use these settings for proper playback.

View attachment 77526

Also, there seems to be a problem with 5.0 content and the communication between the Oppo and A16. It gets converted to 2.0. fortunately the same ripped SACDs play correctly in Roon.

Really appreciate this info, I will take a look this weekend. I don’t anticipate creating my own PRIR but I’ve got my eye on a certain third party offering :)

View attachment 77526

So this is absolutely correct, even if I have Roon set to deliver 7.1 but I’m playing 5.1, then I do have to flip the surrounds and rears just as you said - thanks for that!

Have not tried a 5.0 SACD yet from the Oppo, that will be interesting.

So I’ve got the head tracking set up, with the Optical setting on. It seems to be working fine, and when I display the azimuth angle it moves around as I would expect. I’m wondering on the little set top device though if I should be seeing lights? Are those LEDs?

Anyway thanks for the great tips, appreciate it.

Next step is capturing some headphone EQs… maybe next weekend :)

No problem... Glad to help.

I’m wondering on the little set top device though if I should be seeing lights? Are those LEDs?

You should be seeing the green LEDs... Unless you have to them turned off in the menu.

I think the "Set-top display" brightness is set to 6 by default. But you can set it to off, 1-6, and max.

Screenshot_20220403-194331_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes.

I guess turning on Optical Head tracking would be the most important thing I can think of to mention.
Thanks, will do.

I have to figure out how to attach the tracker to the top edge of my LG OLED (just a thin sheet of glass).

If anyone knows of a sound shop with a great ATMOS listening room in the Denver/Colorado Springs area that might be willing to rent the room out for a couple of hours to me to take PRIR measurements (once I figure out what I’m doing and practice at home) please let me know.

Back