Snow Patrol

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Snow Patrol: Final Straw
this is a fun new sacd.
just picked it up cold yesterday
So far I like the songs
www.snowpatrol.net

I hear it will be a dual disc soon as well

Went to their site and played some of the clips, they do sound good. Is the SACD a stereo or MCh release, couldn't find info on it?

Hey the more I listen, the more I reallty like the songs. The MC mix is more of a 3 channel mix, good but not great.

solaris said:
Hey the more I listen, the more I reallty like the songs. The MC mix is more of a 3 channel mix, good but not great.

I bought this really cold too - I have never even heard of the group before..:)

It will take a few listens to get familiar with the music, but initial opinion is that I like it from a music perspective..so no regrets..

if you like this there is another group with a new SACD you might like
Keane Hopes Fears
kind Cold Play like

solaris said:
if you like this there is another group with a new SACD you might like
Keane Hopes Fears
kind Cold Play like

Who did the the surround mix and mastering on on the Keane disc and what's it like in terms of aggression and discreteness?

Last edited:
Natanial Kunkel did the Keane remix.

Both Keane and Snow Patrol are both available as DualDiscs as well.

Bob Romano said:
Natanial Kunkel did the Keane remix.

That's promising. He did a great job on Graham Nash's DVD-A, and supposedly did a crazy mix for Insane Clown Posse.

Well I like the mix on the snow patrol the more I hear it.As far as the Keane mix I not so sure. At first I though it was a super stereo mix but i was surprised how much sound was coming out of the rear speakers. Some songs sound like a super mono mix with everything in each speaker. Sure the only have 3 members and one only sings.
Yea drums, piano and vocals. I still need to give the whole thing a good listening though.

eelkiller said:
I like the Keane SACD so I will have to look into this Snow Patrol title. Sounds like I may like it.
I hate to hijack this thread, but how is the Keane mix?

Hey Dave...
Prefer the Keane disc to the Snow Patrol but honestly prefer the music too. Find SP really overrated and Keane is just an overall more pleasant listen. IMHO
As for the surround aspect - Keane is a much fuller surround experience and SP feels somewhat more "front focused".
Both are certainly interesting new acts but Keane gets the nod from me...
/\/\

I've been a fan of their regular stereo CD for quite a while. "Run" is actually an amazingly powerful song. If you like Coldplay, this band and Keane are right up your alley.

As for the SACD, I was disappointed with the mix. Pretty flat. Not much of a bass punch. Heck, the recent Elton John reissues have a more pronounced bass than this particular SACD.

best,

Drew

Hmm. Well, I thought the mix was interesting -especially the front-rear movement which was excellent, and there's some creative use of the rear channels for a change. Production generally seems first rate. Which is more than I can say about the music though. An elusive appeal I find... rock bands who don't.
Ah well. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same stuff! If you like this sort of music, you'll love it, and buy with confidence. If you don't, give it a miss.

Just picked this up. BestBuy finally got it in along with Genius Loves Company. Talk about compressed! The music isn't bad but sonically it's one of the worst SACD's I have. Maybe I should try to listen to it again and not have something like Genius Loves Company on first.

Guy Robinson said:
Just picked this up. BestBuy finally got it in along with Genius Loves Company. Talk about compressed! The music isn't bad but sonically it's one of the worst SACD's I have. Maybe I should try to listen to it again and not have something like Genius Loves Company on first.
So, i played the whole thing last night. It's not the actual recording that is compressed but some of the instrumentation (the drums have that really heavy gated compressed sound on some tracks). I liken them to Coldplay if produced by Brain Eno and featuring Robert Fripp on guitar! The songs are really good and I like the vocals.....nice to be sung to instead of sung AT. The mix is decent. Some nice use of the rears at times.

daved64 said:
So, i played the whole thing last night. It's not the actual recording that is compressed but some of the instrumentation (the drums have that really heavy gated compressed sound on some tracks). I liken them to Coldplay if produced by Brain Eno and featuring Robert Fripp on guitar! The songs are really good and I like the vocals.....nice to be sung to instead of sung AT. The mix is decent. Some nice use of the rears at times.

Agreed. It is just some of the instruments. I also agree that there is one great song after another. Not a bad one in the bunch. Their DVD is pretty good as well.

Back