SONY PS-FL77/99 Biotracing Turntable w/ CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segacd

I'm thinking about getting a Sony PS-FL99 (or PS-FL77 if the 99 is too hard to come across). They're linear tracking turntables with a "biotracing" tone arm. I've heard some of these analyze the cartridge bias and such.
Do you think the turntable would work with CD-4? Or would the high frequencies be processed and possibly lost?

Hi there, I've been looking for CD-4 turntables for some time now. I know the Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002 with an MMC 4000 cartridge has the same linear tracking design tone arm. Although it was for SQ.
CD-4 designed turntables that I know existed: BIC 980/960/1000 models, Pickering XUV4500Q and Pansonic SL 850/721/750 models (all using a EPS450QD Shibata stylus).
Not sure about the frequency loss. Good luck searching....I 'm still looking for a decent deck!
Duncan

I have a Sony PSX-555ES turntable, with a biotracer tonearm, since 1984, with no problems. The past 2 years I've used it with an Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge to decode CD4 Lp's, I get clean clear sound and great separation.
I can't speak personally of how well a PSFL-77 or 99 TT would would work, but given that they and my model share some design and engineering, being from the same era, they should work well.
I think however that you'll need to find a P-mount cartridge with a Shibata or linear contact stylus, since if I remember correctly both the models you're looking for can't accomodate 1/2" mount cartridges.

Hi there, I've been looking for CD-4 turntables for some time now. I know the Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002 with an MMC 4000 cartridge has the same linear tracking design tone arm. Although it was for SQ.
CD-4 designed turntables that I know existed: BIC 980/960/1000 models, Pickering XUV4500Q and Pansonic SL 850/721/750 models (all using a EPS450QD Shibata stylus).
Not sure about the frequency loss. Good luck searching....I 'm still looking for a decent deck!
Duncan

Actually, the B&O 4002 and its MML 4000 cartridge were designed to work with CD-4, which they did quite well back in the day, but they are devilishly expensive to repair, and you now have to have the cartridges re-tipped by SoundSmith, which isn't cheap either. As for the Panasonic turntables, don't forget that the EPS450QD cartridge is of the semi-conductor type and requires a special phono stage that, as far as I know, were only installed in Panasonic/Technics receivers of the era.

Back