Sony SACD Car Players - Now in U.S. Market

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a strong possibility I will get a MEX-DV2000 unit for SACD playback.

I'm still puzzled by the Rumplestillskin-like tact of Sony rolling these units out about 3 years after some SACD critical mass could have been achieved.

It's not like the stars were lined up, so why now?

There's a strong possibility I will get a MEX-DV2000 unit for SACD playback.

I'm still puzzled by the Rumplestillskin-like tact of Sony rolling these units out about 3 years after some SACD critical mass could have been achieved.

It's not like the stars were lined up, so why now?

I'm sure it's another way for their models to stand out vs. the competition.

Once they have the capability, why not add it to their car stereo line? And then offer the chips/parts to others as an OEM. (Which I'm sure is also coming).

I'm sure it's another way for their models to stand out vs. the competition.

Once they have the capability, why not add it to their car stereo line? And then offer the chips/parts to others as an OEM. (Which I'm sure is also coming).

Why bother? I am NOT taking my SACDs into the car, ESPECIALLY when most are now out of print. If they get ruined or stolen, then what? Give it up Sony, that ship has sailed. :(

Why bother? I am NOT taking my SACDs into the car, ESPECIALLY when most are now out of print. If they get ruined or stolen, then what? Give it up Sony, that ship has sailed. :(

I agree! I can hardly even FIND SACDs anymore to puchase! Sony has a bunch of Morons working for them.

I agree! I can hardly even FIND SACDs anymore to puchase! Sony has a bunch of Morons working for them.

That seems a bit harsh - the people working there are just peasants of the corporation. The individuals in charge are the morons :D

I can hardly even FIND SACDs anymore to puchase!

Check the web stores like Acoustic Sounds, CD Universe, Elusive Disc, Amazon.Com and Music Direct.

All of them still have many SACDs available in stock for purchase.

Will this work with the MEX-DV2000?

Alpine SBS-05DC
In-dash center channel car speaker

I now own two MX-DV2000 units. One in my PT Cruiser and one in my RAV4. These units cost me less than $200 each. I have never run a car unit that has this much clean power nor as strong an AM/FM section. Although not perfect, it is a superb unit and does a great job with my multi-channel SACD's, and the multi-channel DD/DTS sections on several of my DVD-A disks. I high recommend this to anyone who lusts to play their multi-channel disks in their vehicles.

Richard:D

are you running with just the amp in the head unit or do you have extra power

Just running the 4 built in amps. They are rated at 17 watts, but I expect they are more powerful than the typical 17 watt unit Sony promotes. I get relativey flat frequency response with the multi-band eq set to +8 at 60 and at 0 at the other bands. With the volume cracked up as loud as I can take it still does not distort, even at the low end, I gets lots of solid deep bass on the few disks with actual bass, Goucho, for example. It blows my mind how good this unit sounds. All you need is one amp for a center front speaker if you have the room for one; I don't in either vehicle.

Richard

Just running the 4 built in amps. They are rated at 17 watts, but I expect they are more powerful than the typical 17 watt unit Sony promotes. I get relativey flat frequency response with the multi-band eq set to +8 at 60 and at 0 at the other bands. With the volume cracked up as loud as I can take it still does not distort, even at the low end, I gets lots of solid deep bass on the few disks with actual bass, Goucho, for example. It blows my mind how good this unit sounds. All you need is one amp for a center front speaker if you have the room for one; I don't in either vehicle.

Richard

I have a question. You say you are running without a center channel. So I assume you are not hearing anything that is recorded on the center channel only, because to listen in multichannel, you have to engage the "HQ" mode (manual pg 19). When you engage "HQ", it defeats the "CSO" option that creates a vrtual center channel (manual pg 33 note) (also defeats bass management & time alignment). Is this correct?

I have no need for bass management or time alignment in these vehicles so I set the HQ mode for SACD. I don't know if the 4 amps are setup to reproduce the center channel from front L and R. I do know that I have noticed any loss of vocals from the material I have played. I'll go through my collection for the odd multi-channel disk that places all of the vocal in the front center and report back to you.

Richard

Some MCH releases have vocals only in the center channel (ex PT - FOABP), so if you are running phantom, you will not have vocals.

All my stuff is DTS, with a few DVD-A's all of older quad material. For me, it's perfect.... no need for the center channel! I have noticed that the time counter gets lost on DVD-A's if I skip ahead to the next track. I think it's a problem with the authoring of the discs though.

You have got to try one of the great multi-channel SACD's out there to really put a smile on your face. This unit sounds so good. I just played a 43 year old SACD stereo recording of Muddy Waters [Folk Singer] on my way into work this A.M., and could not believe the dynamic range and clarity comming out of my speakers. [This recording makes the early Stones sound like Cub Scouts in comparison].

Richard

Back