Subwoofer(s) - Brand(s), How Many, Active/Passive ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 sets of dual SVS-2000 sealed subs. Together they handle anything I will ever throw out. I got a pair direct from SVS and the other pair I bought 1 at a time as B stock, but still can't find any issues. Hands down one of the best values out there for subs.

Keep in mind, I am happy with my setup, others may agree or disagree, but SVS has a great budget friendly lineup. I don't know why anyone who doesn't live in an auditorium would need anything bigger than a pair of 10" subs.
I have a pair of SVS-2000 sealed as well. I love how they sound, and don't take up much space. I used to have a monster 15" Rythmik Audio sealed sub that literally could move mountains. It was too much overkill for my small room...not to mention the tremendous amount of space it took up.

I have a question for you sub guys.
I have my audio rack with my L/R front speakers to outside of rack and two subs (REL's 3 total, 12' X 14' room) to outside of the speakers.
I see most have there subs to the inside and speakers to the outside.
My rears, two, are set closer to wall then fronts.
So if my rears are say 6" off the wall my fronts are 2' off wall.
If I remember correctly I think I did it this way because of my seat, making the perfect triangle.
I know the answer, experiment.
But I was wondering if there was a simple explanation as to why subs to the inside at front.
For what it's worth, my sub is in the corner, so it's outside of my fronts. If I move the sub 2-3 feet from its corner position, the bass just disappears at the main listening position.

For what it's worth, my sub is in the corner, so it's outside of my fronts. If I move the sub 2-3 feet from its corner position, the bass just disappears at the main listening position.
Yeah, I have been dialed in on my subs with directions from inside help from REL, actually Norcal rep came over my house, and this is what we came up with.
It definitely puts out, my style is not bombastic but room filling of the nulls and voids, mission accomplished.
I also did a recent filterset with Mitch Barnett, starting with REW and ending with Audiolense, subs where never a problem point.

I'm just always trying to fuck with things, overactive mind. :ROFLMAO:

I have a pair of SVS subs, one of which crapped out on me while playing Camille Saint-Saens 'Organ' Symphony at a volume of 11. Clearly out of warranty, I called them up last week to explain the situation, and long story short they are REPLACING my amp free less the cost of shipping!

This is not the first time I have had impeccable service with SVS. They replaced a grille free of charge a few years ago when I yanked one out and couldn't get it seated back in correctly. Second -to-none customer service from them. HIGHLY recommended.

I see you max out at $1K…but SWs are primordial if you want some real air movement…speakers are where you should spend the most, just like the best stylus for your TT…

For my studio monitors I chose the awesome Adam A7Vs

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A7V--adam-audio-a7v-7-inch-powered-studio-monitor

which are heavenly, although if money had not been an issue, my choice would have been the Genelec 8331 one holers but that would have quadrupled my budget…
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...8331-sam-3-way-coaxial-powered-studio-monitor

But for my SW I decided to splurge so I DID get a Genelec 7630 10” SW which goes down to infrasonic territory, 19 Hz, +/- 3 dB which is built like a TANK, and makes the foundations of my house rattle at normal volume…if you talk to any sales rep in Sweetwater , mine is Felipe Bonacic, you will get a nice discount…I highly recommend this beast…

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/7360A--genelec-7360a-10-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer

I see you max out at $1K…but SWs are primordial if you want some real air movement…speakers are where you should spend the most, just like the best stylus for your TT…

For my studio monitors I chose the awesome Adam A7Vs

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A7V--adam-audio-a7v-7-inch-powered-studio-monitor

which are heavenly, although if money had not been an issue, my choice would have been the Genelec 8331 one holers but that would have quadrupled my budget…
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...8331-sam-3-way-coaxial-powered-studio-monitor

But for my SW I decided to splurge so I DID get a Genelec 7630 10” SW which goes down to infrasonic territory, 19 Hz, +/- 3 dB which is built like a TANK, and makes the foundations of my house rattle at normal volume…if you talk to any sales rep in Sweetwater , mine is Felipe Bonacic, you will get a nice discount…I highly recommend this beast…

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/7360A--genelec-7360a-10-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer
Genelecs are definitely nice but really the OP can pick up an old SVS PB10 isd that's flat from 19hz-150hz +/-1 db for peanuts and walk away with outstanding performance.Its a big black ugly box that weighs 60 lbs but it does the job

SVS PB12-Plus Subwoofer
Specifications:

● 12" Down-firing Driver

● Ported Enclosure

● 525 Watt BASH Amplifier

● Parametric Equalizer Built-In (except on Textured
Black version)

● Dimensions: 25" H x 18" W x 25" D

● Weight: 110 Pounds

What kind of subs are we going for here?
Careful calibrated bass response in a medium (give or take) room?
Or the club/festival thing with the kick drum with the triggered sample layered in with 4000W of bass where even if you are young and healthy you wonder if this is OK for your heart to even be near?

I have two of my 4 subs hooked up right now and everything is calibrated in a medium room.

The recommended setup if your sub is in a separate cabinet:
Place sub at main listening position sweet spot and run test tones.
Walk around the room and find the spot where the bass blooms.
Now put the sub in that "hot" spot.
Now calibrate your sub.

Result: The bass will never get weird in other spots in the room. Which can be distracting.

Done perfect room treatment?
Sweet! Now the crude wholly unacceptable garbage I just suggested above would be a moot point because you don't have any hot spots!

Listen for weirdness in the crossover area of the frequency band when setting up. Play a test tone sweep. You don't want to hear a dropout or a volume lurch in the crossover area. Play with the crossover frequency and polarity of the sub if you need to dig into this and tweak.

Although I play mostly popular music, I have this Telarc CD:
https://www.discogs.com/release/10460802-Saint-Saëns-Eugene-Ormandy-Philadelphia-Orchestra-Michael-Murray-Symphony-No-3-Organ

Flat to 15Hz (1 dB, could be EQ'd) is all I want...one popular music song I bought on MP3 claims Bass down to 4Hz though.

Kirk Bayne
This is the recording of the Organ Symphony that FUBAR'd my SVS sub. If you really enjoy this piece, I would highly recommend obtaining a copy. In surround, to boot! Truly a "reference recording."
R-8748333-1490212442-5300.jpg

Currently using a Klipsch R-121-SW II [Reference Series 12"]
I have one of these as well. Plus an SVS, a Velodyne and a BIC PL-200. All 12". Nice deep ever present bass without being boomy. Incredible as well for watching movies. My other speakers are floor standers (4 for fronts and backs), a center and 2 bookshelves for the surrounds on the wall. They are all matching with the same tweeters and the same multiple 6.5 inch mid/bass units. Very happy with the sound. The subs all seem to complement each other and fill in holes making the bass pretty much the same anywhere you sit or stand in the room. I say bullocks to the idea of not mixing the subs.

Last edited:
Back