Speaking of CDs: Do you remember your first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim the Oldbie

My right elbow hurts.
Mine was Peter Gabriel's Security, his 4th solo album after leaving Genesis. I didn't even have a player yet! But I worked at a music store where we sold some nice stuff (McIntosh, Sony ES, etc.), and by 1986 I'd been enjoying these newfangled discs in our showrooms for several years, and I just couldn't wait any longer. (I did get a player soon after, a used Sony, can't remember the model, shame on me!)

I loved this Gabriel release on LP, and was curious to see how the CD compared. I was impressed with the CD sound - very dynamic and powerful, with no distracting background noise.

Howzabout you guys & gals? What was your first little shiny disc?

Wow. Strangely enough--even though I'd been hungrily following the development of digital recording and the advent of the CD for years in all the hi-fi magazines...I don't!

But I still remember my first 45 rpm single: "Precious and Few," by Climax, on Bell Records. (My second: "TSOP," by MFSB.)

As for LPs: I wanted to get Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill, but my mother was scandalized by the cover. So I bought Chicago Transit Authority instead--not a bad second choice, as it turned out. (And I eventually sneaked the Steely Dan into my collection anyway.)

This, christmas 1982

G5NUW3a7UjC0wZDqQIXgbSZwKr_3X6UXnheUDem2EJlYP86raONZX1m833ni57xZs34AZ2ZeIi0Yd04hOQ=w800-h692-no

The Kink Kontroversy and Face to Face by the Kinks and A Day at the Races by Queen in 1987. The first 2 cds convinced me to get a cd player because I could not get these albums in any other format. My first cd player was a Mitsubishit which had problems.

My first one was free in 1983! It was this demo disc taped to the front of one of the mags (HiFi News & Record Review I think) who were doing a special edition on the new technology:

Scan018.jpg

And yes, despite the threat of laser rot, it still plays (I’ve just tried it for the first time in decades!)

Back