Spectrum - Billy Cobham & Thrust - Herbie Hancock - Audio Fidelity Quad SACD (Feb 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat to see we're actually getting an unreleased Quad. Very cool. I even checked my excel spreadsheet of unreleased stuff and wouldn't you know it:

Atlantic QT-7268 Billy Cobham Spectrum

Not exactly my cup of tea, but I'll have to check it out.

Wow, these are incredibly exciting titles!

Herbie Hancock's Thrust was one of the ones I reccomended in the Sony/AF thread back in the summer so needless to say I'm really happy that it's coming out. The quad mix is excellent, and it very much has the same vibe as the stereo mix - I don't think there was a mixing credit on the album sleeve but I wouldn't be surprised if it was done by Fred Catero and David Rubinson like Headhunters was. This was one of my most played Q8's, and I'm sure as a full-range SACD it's going to be even better.

Someone was asking what Herbie Hancock's music is like - to me his playing (as a keyboardist) is very much in the same neighbourhood as some of the other Miles Davis alumni like Joe Zwainul (Weather Report) and Chick Corea (Return To Forever) but also with some of the down-to-earth R&B sensibility of Joe Sample from The Crusaders. What sets Hancock's material from the Headhunters album in 1973 onward is the rhythm section (and arrangements). Hancock relates a story of going to a party in the early 70's, when he was l eading his Mwandishi band - they were jazz-fusion too, but more in the avante-garde mediative spacey variety. At this party someone was playing a Sly & The Family Stone record and Hancock was struck by the way it connected with the people there, who were dancing and having a good time, and he knew he couldn't put one of his records on and have it have the same effect. After that he resolved to make his music more 'danceable' and you hear it starting in Headhunters and just continuing to get stronger and stronger in importance to him as the decade went on. However I don't think he ever dumbed down his soloing even as he was smoothing out some of the rhythms - for my money I don't think you can find a stronger Rhodes soloist in the 70's, and that's saying something because there were a lot of good ones. Hancock is not only a remarkably muscular soloist, he's also incredibly harmonically complex with a lot of chordal stuff in his solos rather than just single note runs, not to mention the interaction between his left and right hands. Sometimes they sound so independent of each other it sounds like his right hand is one keyboardist soloing, and his left hand is another keyboardist playing rhythm.

AF releasing the previously unreleased quad mix of Billy Cobham's Spectrum is even more exciting. I was never happy with the wonky DVD-A mix, and even ripped it apart to examine it but even with the tweaks I made it was still deeply unsatisfying. It's great to hear from Jon's description that the quad mix is the discrete kind of mix this album deserves, and I can't wait to hear it. Jon mentions two guitarists, one in each rear speaker - I think one of those is actually keyboardist Jan Hammer playing his Moog synthesizer in a way that makes it sound like a guitar. He had a remarkable technical facility with the pitch bend wheel that enabled him to sound almost indistinguishable from a guitarist - for years I thought the intro solo on the first track of this album 'Quadrant 4' was a guitar, but it's not, it's Hammer playing keyboard. You can tell because right at the end of the solo (before the main theme starts) the last few notes of the solo dissolve in to a bunch of squonky bleep-bloop noises that only a synthesizer could make. I suppose the years he spent playing with John McLaughlin in The Mahavishnu Orchestra was basically a masterclass in aggressive guitar sounds and soloing, because I've never heard another analog synth player get close to him in getting their soloing style close to that of a guitar. Even guys like George Duke who were very fond of using the pitch bend wheel in their solos always still sounded like they were playing a synthesizer.

I can't wait for this title and hope it signals that Warner is willing to let more unreleased quad mixes out of it's vaults. Bring on Black Sabbath 'Sabotage'!

Very interesting reading, Steelydave!

I was already planning on acquiring these 2 SACDs from AF, but your (and others) in depth discussions of them whet my appetite even more!

Fantastic news!! Thank you, Audio Fidelity!!!

And yes... Black Sabbath "Sabotage"... PLEASE!!!

Thanks Lute, I didn't intend for that post to be so long, and after I wrote it out I debated editing it down. Glad someone out there enjoys my windbag tendencies ;)

The other thing I forgot to mention about Hancock's music is up until the Man-Child album in 1975, he didn't employ a guitarist in any of his bands. He believed the clavinet (with wah-wah pedal) could take the place of a guitarist and listening to Headhunters and Thrust, you couldn't really argue with him!

Do you know who is doing the 2.0 and 4.0 mastering? Is it Kevin, and Gus S. or Steve H & Stephen M.?

The Analog Tape to DSD transfers and mastering is by Kevin Gray (Stereo tracks) and Gus Skinas (Surround Tracks) on both Multichannel SACDs.

Anyone seen any pre-orders for the Thrust SACD?
I don't wanna miss that one! :eek:

(Pre-ordered Spectrum Quad SACD already @Amazon.com.. wow.. still can't quite believe AF have pulled that one out the bag..!)

Anyone seen any pre-orders for the Thrust SACD?
I don't wanna miss that one! :eek:

(Pre-ordered Spectrum Quad SACD already @Amazon.com.. wow.. still can't quite believe AF have pulled that one out the bag..!)

No preorder yet for "Thrust", but I imagine it may go up on amazon within the next week or so. :)

I've the DVD-A of Spectrum, I like the music but I wasn't impressed with the mix so its a must buy for me, along with the Herbie Hancock who's another great musician.

A good start to the 2016 releases :woopie

Billy Cobham - "SPECTRUM" for Me!!!!!!!

Can't wait for "Red Baron" track in glorious 4.0

Regards,

Sergio Perez-More

That's the track I'm most interested in too. Was playing some of the Royal Guardsmen on youtube yesterday. I really like that Christmas one. APO should have put that on their Christmas sampler. And that Ray Stevens XMAS song too.

"Thrust" is still not available to preorder yet, but when it is is ready, it will be available from this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A22VC3O :)

If anybody's really interested in getting this 4.0 SACD, preorder it on amazon now to lock in the current price of $23.50
(Also full packshot of front cover below) :)

81CwThUBMYL._SL1500_.jpg

wow - well that Herbie Hancock should be a stunner in Quad. I don't know much about Billy Cobham.....

Actually if you had to get only one, it would be the Billy Cobham Multichannel SACD.
I'm a fan of Herbie Hancock and Thrust turned out well on the Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD.

But Spectrum from Audio Fidelity on SACD, well - as Jon says, you will sell your Spectrum 5.1 DVD-A disc when you hear the Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD.
It is that good!

Actually if you had to get only one, it would be the Billy Cobham Multichannel SACD.
I'm a fan of Herbie Hancock and Thrust turned out well on the Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD.

But Spectrum from Audio Fidelity on SACD, well - as Jon says, you will sell your Spectrum 5.1 DVD-A disc when you hear the Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD.
It is that good!

I can't agree more with Brian. This Spectrum Quad SACD is spectacular. I have to admit I was never into this album back in the day, and probably never gave the DVD-A enough playtime in the car, but man, this quad mix is incredible. I was playing it tonight on my way home and it was so good I wanted to grab bystanders and put them in my car to hear it.

I honestly can't wait for you all to listen to it. To me this is the finest 4.0 SACD released by AF since they started. Even if you are a rock fan who isn't into jazz per say, this disc will grab you if you give it a chance.

I can't agree more with Brian. This Spectrum Quad SACD is spectacular. I have to admit I was never into this album back in the day, and probably never gave the DVD-A enough playtime in the car, but man, this quad mix is incredible. I was playing it tonight on my way home and it was so good I wanted to grab bystanders and put them in my car to hear it.

I honestly can't wait for you all to listen to it. To me this is the finest 4.0 SACD released by AF since they started. Even if you are a rock fan who isn't into jazz per say, this disc will grab you if you give it a chance.

Another comment I would make is the Spectrum Quad SACD is a drumming spectacular.
So, if you like albums where the drums are a featured part of the music - or certainly if you are a drummer - this is your SACD! :)

And a side story on this one.

When Audio Fidelity was exploring Spectrum as a candidate for Multichannel SACD release, Warner Music had both tapes in the vault - the 5.1 mix (DVD Audio) and the never released 4.0 Quad mix - available for licensing.
Marshall asked me my advice on which one to license and I told him it had to be the unreleased 4.0 Quad. My reasoning was the 4.0 Quad would likely have one of the immersive WEA Quad Mixes (vs. the less than exciting 5.1 DVD-A mix), the Multichannel SACD tracks would be a direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer by Gus Skinas and it would be a chance for everyone to hear the previously unreleased Quad mix. Listening to the test SACD disc and comparing it to the earlier DVD-Audio disc, that was definitely the right call.... :)

Back