Spinners QUADIO Blu Ray Comments

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhino is aware and is working on making it right.
Apologies folks.

Hi FR, I hope replacements will automatically be shipped to those who ordered the album. That's the best way for all. But if we have to email, fill out a form, scan & copy the barcode, send copy of original order, mail the existing disc back first, etc. that's not so convenient ;)

I've seen it done with varying degrees of complexity. For example, for season 8 of the XFiles bluray box set that had messed up black levels, and remastered Fifth Element from Sony to fix some issues, all we had to do was request the replacement by email and attach copy of original order. Replacement discs were mailed out in a timely fashion by both Sony & 20th C Fox (pre-Disney of course).

Please keep this replacement process as simple as possible. Thanks!!

Apologies folks.
Your reply is just what I was hoping for, Steve
A rethink of the listening process, prior to manufacture, maybe the order of the day.
I'm giving this one an 8 with a hopeful uplift, once it's been rectified.

Last edited:
Apologies folks.
Greatly appreciated and thank you for letting us know. Though since the first thing I always do with any new music is put it on hard drive, I'd also be fine with nothing more than definitive instructions for how to fix it myself. (Obviously that's not an option for everyone.)

My beef with this release is the price. Why is it $25 for one album and no extra track in plain 4.0 when there are plenty of other releases in Atmos (or at least new mixes) available on Dutton Vocalion or Super Deluxe with sometimes up to three albums in surround? So 11/10 for the music, 2/10 for the release.

Even worse when it seems like there are technical shortcomings with this release, too.
Ummm, no. These discs for the most of us are being shipped out the door for $20 plus tax for many of us. Four-pack bundle deals, discount codes, and free shipping (if you spend enough is much less than $25 a disc. In fact this is the lowest price on an audiophile type physical disc since Audio Fidelity releases could be found 'on sale" on Deep Discount's website nine years ago, almost a decade.

Hi FR, I hope replacements will automatically be shipped to those who ordered the album. That's the best way for all. But if we have to email, fill out a form, scan & copy the barcode, send copy of original order, mail the existing disc back first, etc. that's not so convenient ;)

I've seen it done with varying degrees of complexity. For example, for season 8 of the XFiles bluray box set that had messed up black levels, and remastered Fifth Element from Sony to fix some issues, all we had to do was request the replacement by email and attach copy of original order. Replacement discs were mailed out in a timely fashion by both Sony & 20th C Fox (pre-Disney of course).

Please keep this replacement process as simple as possible. Thanks!!
I don't recall the exact process for getting the replacement discs for the Chicago set, but I'm sure others here do. IIRC, it wasn't very complicated. Little more than email requesting it and some nominal verification that you had purchased the set.

Used a CPI calculator:
$6.98 (1973 WEA group CD-4 disc price) is $47.84 (2023)

[$25.01 (2023) is $3.65 (1973)]

The Rhino Quadios seem like a great deal at $24.98.

Kirk Bayne
True on one hand. The other to take into account though, is that the expenses of producing these titles were paid for LONG ago. This is the equivalent of re-releases from the 1920s in 1973.

But I have no issue with Rhinoā€™s price. I think it is fair.

Used a CPI calculator:
$6.98 (1973 WEA group CD-4 disc price) is $47.84 (2023)

[$25.01 (2023) is $3.65 (1973)]

The Rhino Quadios seem like a great deal at $24.98.

Kirk Bayne
Any other label licensing these titles to reissue would have to charge an additional $5 per title. But since itā€™s in-house licensed, and a bulk of the sales are from their own web store, weā€™ve been given a better deal here.

A lot to be thankful for.

Last edited:
View attachment 97673

Well I don't have my disc yet. And the lower dB on the front left is interesting.
But the question is, how does it sound?
@quicksrt seems to think the sound is balanced OK, and we all have different setups, etc so I'll wait until my discs are here before I make any judgements.
Still interesting, though, especially after looking at @fredblue CD-4 waveforms.
What in world is this link doing in my post?
Guess it only shows as a link in the original post. I mean, what is going on?

What in world is this link doing in my post?
Guess it only shows as a link in the original post. I mean, what is going on?
I responded to a reported post request in the Spinners POLL thread which is currently an absolute mess. Apologies if I cut in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Got this email from Rhino today -
"Hello William,

Thank you for contacting us!

Can you check if your copy is defective? Only some of the Spinners Quadio were defective and we can only replace defective CDs. If it is defective, please provide a photo and short video of the CD for our records.

I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Marcus
Rhino Store"

I've written back to ask what they want a video of.

Rhino knows who ordered the discs from their store
All they have to do is check their orders make a list and ship us replacement Spinners
Easy.
They know all the Spinners discs they sold were defective. Those who bought elsewhere can email requests. I believe with the Chicago box set replacements all you did was email Rhino with your address info.

Hi FR, I hope replacements will automatically be shipped to those who ordered the album.
I don't think Rhino is that generous.
Xmas23_ProductShots_Replacements.jpg

Can you check if your copy is defective? Only some of the Spinners Quadio were defective and we can only replace defective CDs. If it is defective, please provide a photo and short video of the CD for our records.
Matrix number would be a more pratical way to inform what discs are defective and what not. Doubt that a "fixed" disc could have all the exact same matrix number as the bad one.

Back