Spoon "Lucifer On The Sofa" - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess it'd be under the same country limitations?

QOTSA would be awesome.
Yes, at least for the time being.

QOTSA isn't nearly as impressive a mix as Spoon or some of the other ones (the Water From Your Eyes album is also pretty wild), but the sonics are vastly improved. Interestingly there are a lot of discrete elements in the 'wide' speakers on a 9.1.x setup.

Just to give an idea of what could potentially be in the pipeline, here's a (likely incomplete) listing of all the Atmos mixes I could find on Apple Music from Beggars-associated labels. I'm pretty sure these are all genuine (as in not upmixed/derived from stereo). Of course, there are also the out-of-print 5.1 mixes of Love & Rockets' Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven and Gene Clark's No Other.

Artist:Album:Label:Apple Music Link:
SpoonLucifer On The SofaMatadorLucifer On The Sofa
Queens Of The Stone AgeIn Times New Roman...MatadorIn Times New Roman...
Water From Your EyesEveryone's CrushedMatadorEveryone's Crushed
InterpolThe Other Side Of Make-BelieveMatadorThe Other Side Of Make-Believe
The NationalFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein4ADFirst Two Pages Of Frankenstein
The NationalLaugh Track4ADLaugh Track
PixiesDoolittle4ADDoolittle
Lucy DacusHome Video4ADHome Video
Bartees StrangeFarm To Table4ADFarm To Table
Future IslandsPeople Who Aren't There Anymore4ADPeople Who Aren't There Anymore
Tkay MaidzaSweet Justice4ADSweet Justice
DaughterStereo Mind Game4ADStereo Mind Game
The LibertinesUp The BracketRough TradeUp The Bracket
CASISDEADFamous Last WordsXLFamous Last Words
IbeyiSpell 31XLSpell 31
OvermonoGood LiesXLGood Lies
YaejiWith A HammerXLWith A Hammer
FKA TwigsCAPRISONGSYoungCAPRISONGS
RomyMid AirYoungMid Air
SamphaLahaiYoungLahai
Tantalising!

A few more you could offer are -

Jungle - Jungle / Loving In Stereo / Volcano (XL)
Snail Mail - Valentine (Matador)
Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B (Rough Trade)
ANOHNI - My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross (Rough Trade)
Oliver Sim - Hideous Bastard (Young)
Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork* (4AD) [*Bizarrely seems to have had its Atmos mix pulled? Was defo in Atmos before...]

And imagine if they started mining the back catalogue to remix into surround?! Some fantastic albums from the likes of...

Radiohead, The Charlatans, The Prodigy, Gary Numan, The Cult, Cocteau Twins, Future Islands (Singles album), Basement Jaxx, Pavement, Badly Drawn Boy, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Stornoway, The Breeders, Cat Power, The xx, Alabama Shakes, Vampire Weekend, Amyl & The Sniffers, Elastica, Liz Phair (Exile In Guyville) and many more...

Last edited:
Isn’t Adele’s catalog now under XL? I always thought 21 would sound great in surround.
It is, think she's always been with them and certainly a massive money spinner... Just not someone I'm that fond of personally. 21 starts off great with Rolling In The Deep and Rumour Has It, but it gets a bit too schmaltzy afterwards for me... Someone Like You is like nails on a chalkboard... 🥹 Just had way too much airplay over here which probably didn't help...

Isn’t Adele’s catalog now under XL? I always thought 21 would sound great in surround.
I've heard that some of her songs have clipped vocals on the multi-tracks! :eek:
I'd be down for some Adele...Rolling In The Deep is one of my favorites.

Tantalising!

A few more you could offer are -

Jungle - Jungle / Loving In Stereo / Volcano (XL)
Snail Mail - Valentine (Matador)
Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B (Rough Trade)
ANOHNI - My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross (Rough Trade)
Oliver Sim - Hideous Bastard (Young)
Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork* (4AD) [*Bizarrely seems to have had its Atmos mix pulled? Was defo in Atmos before...]

And imagine if they started mining the back catalogue to remix into surround?! Some fantastic albums from the likes of...

Radiohead, The Charlatans, The Prodigy, Gary Numan, The Cult, Cocteau Twins, Future Islands (Singles album), Basement Jaxx, Pavement, Badly Drawn Boy, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Stornaway, The Breeders, Cat Power, The xx, Alabama Shakes, Vampire Weekend, Amyl & The Sniffers, Elastica, Liz Phair (Exile In Guyville) and many more...
+1 for Jungle, who I think have released all of their catalogue to Atmos streaming - and pretty decent mixes too - bar their second (and best) album For Ever, which contains Casio, a laid-back soul jam that always reminded me of William DeVaughn's Be Thankful for What You Got.

What do you suggest is the most practical method to play downloaded Dolby Atmos files? I have an anthem processor and Oppo player.

What do you suggest is the most practical method to play downloaded Dolby Atmos files? I have an anthem processor and Oppo player.
You can play them from a USB drive plugged into the Oppo player or over the network from a NAS. Just make sure you search under “video” from the top menu or it won’t see the MKV files.

So, do they want piracy to be an issue? This is astonishingly dumb. (I'm in the US, btw.)
View attachment 103433
This is an even bigger problem . . .
1710879068313.png

Perhaps it’s overwhelming demand for the Spoon record 😁

In all seriousness, I’m told it’s routine maintenance (why this could’t have been done at a later hour, I’m not sure…) and the site will be back ASAP.

I, too, would prefer physical physical releases but I'm more excited about the potential for new contemporary releases from a label like Beggars than anything else that's going on in the surround world (and there's a lot going on now!). I just hope their mixed and mastered well! Making them lossless is a great start!

One of my favorite Atmos mixes of a 'new' rock record, really proud to have it on the site :)

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now-available-in-dolby-atmos-spoons-lucifer-on-the-sofa/

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lucifer-on-the-sofa-spoon-atmos-mkv-mp4/

As mentioned in the article, it's the first in a series of Atmos releases from Beggars Group that we'll be rolling out over the course of this year and perhaps into next (yes, there are that many albums).
More excited by this development than anything offered from Rhino or SDE (and what those 2 labels have done is extraordinary). If memory serves Beggars put out the Pixies and Love and Rockets BRs a few years back!

I never knew this site even existed until yesterday. I would politely suggest the mods move "Streaming Releases" out of "Surround Sound Tech Talk" and into "Surround Music Polls" so lossless streaming can get more exposure and voted on. I would never think to look in "Surround Sound Tech Talk" for streaming releases. Beggars could be up for a separate thread in "Industry Corner" as well, although I agree they might need to release more titles first and prove themselves.

@sjcorne , you can count me as part of the "international interest"-ed people. I never heard of this band before, I listened to the album in streaming and I really liked it!
I am also in for the Pixies. I didn't connect with "In Time New Roman", but _anything else_ of QoTSA will be welcomed too. Great initiative!!
Per our agreement with BGD, we are only authorized to sell in the United States. No one is more unhappy about this than me and I fought against it vehemently during negotiations (which started in May 2023, just to give you an idea of how long these things take), but it was a red line for them. I am hopeful we can revisit the terms of the agreement if they are shown that there is sufficient international interest.

If you are indeed located in the US, you should 100% be able to purchase - I will notify our dev team immediately to see why you're getting that message.

@sjcorne , you can count me as part of the "international interest"-ed people. I never heard of this band before, I listened to the album in streaming and I really liked it!
I am also in for the Pixies. I didn't connect with "In Time New Roman", but _anything else_ of QoTSA will be welcomed too. Great initiative!!
I would count you as someone who should be interested in a VPN.

Back