SQ / QS on cassette tapes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Dunn

I've seen some Angel cassette tapes with the logo in a circle. With their vinyl LPs, that means they are SQ-encoded.

Is it possible that any cassette tapes have been released with matrix surround encoding on the tape?

Maybe I'll try running one of these tapes through an Adobe Audition script and see if I get anything resembling coherent surround sound.

Many have encoded info on them. As discussed in other threads on QQ, it is difficult to properly decode an encoded tape, due to head alignment issues such as azimuth, height, etc. Personally, I'd say don't bother trying to decode them. Any CD release of matrix Quad titles will decode perfectly, so long as it hasn't been remixed or transferred from a 2ch master.

If you record on tape or CD any SQ or QS record, it (the tape or CD) WILL decode correctly if decoded (played) through a proper oriented (SQ or QS) decorder.

If you have not messed with the head adjustments or had the heads properly set by a technician or know how to do it yourself and have the tools to do it. There is no problem.

An SQ or QS encoded recording will usually play/decode just fine on Compact Cassette PROVIDED that the encoded tape is played back on the deck that recorded it. Play it on another deck and all bets are off. Now, late model decks with Dolby S-Type noise reduction WILL play matrixed recordings because Dolby specified very tight standards for decks to have Dolby S NR and they had have adjustable tape head alignment - Pioneer's Dolby S decks did all the alignment automatically. I've heard Dolby S cassette tapes played on a Dolby S deck and they sound basically indistinguishable from a CD, unlike Dolby C which often isn't even compatible with the deck it was made on. Dolby S tapes will also decode well on Dolby B equipped decks.

Back