SRS Surround EQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SRS Labs is the original company that produced Circle Surround, and still does as i understand it, although different decoders have been licensed to various companies. I actually have an early SRS Labs Circle Surround decoder for automobile, and it's also 4 channel output only.

bizmopeen said:
Okay, I give. What's "SRS surround sound"? :confused: That's no decoding format I've ever heard of...

I've read of some music recorded to enhance the processing the Circle Surround performs but it is not an encode-decode system as the various matrix 70's quad formats are.

CS is basically an audio processor designed to work ona stereo source.

The early units are 2 channels in and 2 channels out.

Later ones started the 4 channels out (and more) trend.

I bought a NeReality CS unit, an early one with the 2 in 2 out set-up and ran the output into my Sansui Vario-Matrix decoder. I am still thrilled with the final audio output after a year's listening.

The 2 audio controls on the CS unit allows me great leeway in tailoring the soundfield and my V-M decoder loves the signal fed to it.

Everything I play is fed through my V-M and everything my V-M receives runs through the CS processor first.

For those without the funds for a Tate etc. I consider the CS 2 in 2 out unit the best way to achieve an enhanced surround experience at a low price. The CS unit I bought off eBay was in my home for less than $25.

I also grabbed a Hughes version that doesn't produce as enjoyable of an output. For some reason the Nureality unit works better in conjunction with my V-M decoder.

Obbop said:
I've read of some music recorded to enhance the processing the Circle Surround performs but it is not an encode-decode system as the various matrix 70's quad formats are. CS is basically an audio processor designed to work ona stereo source.

Actually, I think you are refering to the SRS system, which among other things was included on many early stereo televisions to enhance the separation. My old Sony XBR has it. That was a two-in two-out system, but Circle Surround is a true matrix 5.1 channel format ... encode/decode. It is somewhat compatible with Dolby Pro-Logic, in that it is quite suitable for movie playback, but MUCH better with music because it allows full freqency range, and two-channel rear sound. There have been many CS CD releases ... all of the Telarc CDs that are marked Surround Sound are Circle Surround encoded as I understand. I have a Rocktron 5.2.5 CS decoder and it is pretty amazing. CS is also included in receivers from Marantz, Kenwood and others, and in some high-end pre-pros like the Theta Casablanca. Cheers, Mike.

Back