Steely Dan: Everything Must Go

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I mistakenly posted this in the DVD-A news thread:
---------------------------------------------------
Like Gary said, nothing groundbreaking, but Steely Dan is like a comfy old sweater! I wasn't expecting anything different! I think this might be the best sounding disc I have, beating out Sea Change because there is better balance between the fronts and rears. The backing vocals are amazing...a few times it felt like the girls were standing right behind me. Godwhacker is a great song with tasty lyrics! Some great percussive guitar work on a lot of the tracks....not too much center channel from what I could tell, but I didn't really miss it, the sound is very enveloping. I had the same problem as Guy, I played the new Radiohead CD right after this one, and it felt like someone put cotton in my ears!
Another great job by the boys, and another great mix by Elliott Scheiner. Musically, I think the best word to use might be "summer-y". It's a very boppy, toe tapping collection of songs. The video is very funny as well. Get this disc!

Does Becker handle a lot of the guitar solos on this one? It would be nice to hear Larry Carlton on a SD disc again.

Yep, Walter does a lot of the guitar playing, along with Hugh McCracken and another guy who's name escapes me. Walter also does all the bass and sings on one track. Not bad, kinda Randy Newman-ish.

I thought Larry Carlton got all messed up, didn't he get shot in front of his house or something?

Larry Carlton got shot over 10 years ago and fully recovered!! He's released several CD's and is a member of the group FOURPLAY whom I had the pleasure of seeing live last summer!!

Yes Becker handles all the guitar solos and while not bad I did find myself yearning for some LC solos!! His solos had almost become an essential part of any Steely Dan album, highlighted by his solo on KID CHARLEMAGNE!!

Back