Stop Making Sense to get a new 4K theatrical run, courtesy of A24 (with E.T. Thorngren Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleMoustache

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter

Dates, and further info unknown. A24 announced this morning with a fun skit (not! A trailer) on YouTube that they’ll be bringing it back to theaters, and have done a new 4K restoration of the film. Would be interesting to see if they gave it an Atmos remix (their last acquisition/re-release, Darren Aronofsky’s debut feature Pi just got an IMAX re-release on 3/14 (Pi day) in 8K and Atmos, so who knows)

From UltimateClassicRock.com-

Talking Heads' groundbreaking 1984 concert film Stop Making Sense will return to movie theaters worldwide later this year.

A release date for the movie, which will be newly remastered in 4K, has not been announced yet. The band shared the news with a new video showing frontman David Byrne picking up his famous "big suit" from the dry cleaners.

An expanded version of the movie's soundtrack, featuring two tracks not included in previous audio releases, will be released on Aug. 18. "Cites" and "Big Business/I Zimbra" were previously available only on VHS and laserdisc versions of the movie, and as bonus tracks on various DVD and Blu-ray editions.

The Jonathan Demme co-directed Stop Making Sense eschewed standard concert film cliches such as audience reaction shots and close-ups of the musician's fingers during guitar solos. The opening song, "Psycho Killer," is performed solo by Byrne on a bare stage; additional band members and stage decorations are added between songs, culminating in expanded theatrical versions of classic Talking Heads cuts such as "Naive Melody (This Must Be the Place)" and "Once in a Lifetime."

In addition to a limited edition two-LP vinyl reissue, the Stop Making Sense soundtrack will be available digitally in a Dolby Atmos mix done by E.T. Thorngren and Talking Heads guitarist and keyboardist Jerry Harrison. The reissue will include a 28-page booklet with previously unpublished photos and new liner notes by Byrne, Harrison, bassist Tina Weymouth and drummer Chris Frantz.

Talking Heads, 'Stop Making Sense: Deluxe Edition' Track Listing
1. "Psycho Killer"
2. "Heaven"
3. "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel"
4. "Found a Job"
5. "Slippery People"
6. "Cities" *
7. "Burning Down the House"
8. "Life During Wartime"
9. "Making Flippy Floppy"
10. "Swamp"
11. "What a Day That Was"
12. "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)"
13. "Once in a Lifetime"
14. "Big Business / I Zimbra" *
15. "Genius of Love"
16. "Girlfriend is Better"
17. "Take Me to the River"
18. "Crosseyed and Painless"
* previously unreleased

Rhino

Dates, and further info unknown. A24 announced this morning with a fun skit (not! A trailer) on YouTube that they’ll be bringing it back to theaters, and have done a new 4K restoration of the film. Would be interesting to see if they gave it an Atmos remix (their last acquisition/re-release, Darren Aronofsky’s debut feature Pi just got an IMAX re-release on 3/14 (Pi day) in 8K and Atmos, so who knows)

Nicely done on the promo.

I was never a Talking Heads fan back then, but about five years ago or so I watched Stop Making Sense for the first time. I enjoyed it. Really loved Crosseyed and Painless. If it gets a home release with this new version, I’d probably grab it.

So if Stop Making Sense is getting an Atmos mix… that just leaves the assorted bonus tracks and “The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads” getting mixes to have the complete official discography be available in Atmos
Not official, but need a full-on redo of video and music mix for that Rome concert. What an amazing concert that was.

The info given above doesn’t indicate whether the Atmos mix will be on Blu-Ray, download, or stream only. Makes me think that it will just be for streaming.
Also doesn’t indicate whether there will be a 4k Blu-Ray release of the movie after this theatrical run.

We can all hope that the 4K master will be released by A24 - if not, then there are plenty other boutique labels available! We're only talking about the greatest concert film ever made!

I purchased the Second Sight UK blu-ray, half hoping that they would have worked their customary magic on the image, but it is exactly the same, dated, transfer which Palm Pictures released on blu-ray in 2009. I wasn't able to catch the band, while they were performing live, but I drove all the way to Oslo with my friend Bjørn, in his Mum's battered Honda Civic, to catch the theatrical premiere of Stop Making Sense in 1984.

I did see David Byrne's American Utopia in Amsterdam in 2018. Although one of the best concerts I have ever seen, it still pales, compared to Stop Making Sense. I would put Stop Making Sense into my top three desert island films.
IMG_2351.jpeg

We can all hope that the 4K master will be released by A24 - if not, then there are plenty other boutique labels available! We're only talking about the greatest concert film ever made!

I purchased the Second Sight UK blu-ray, half hoping that they would have worked their customary magic on the image, but it is exactly the same, dated, transfer which Palm Pictures released on blu-ray in 2009. I wasn't able to catch the band, while they were performing live, but I drove all the way to Oslo with my friend Bjørn, in his Mum's battered Honda Civic, to catch the theatrical premiere of Stop Making Sense in 1984.

I did see David Byrne's American Utopia in Amsterdam in 2018. Although one of the best concerts I have ever seen, it still pales, compared to Stop Making Sense. I would put Stop Making Sense into my top three desert island films.
View attachment 89732
I only have a small-screen television, so for me, it was the added 5.1 "studio mix" that made the Second Sight Blu-Ray worthwhile.

Good news for a eventual 4K blu ray release. I’ve never owned the blu ray nor seen the entire concert and I hope they’ll include the 2 original 5.1 mixes along with the Atmos. Throw the stereo in there for good measure.
I have to assume at least the stereo if not both 5.1’s will be included for the fact that (according to Wikipedia at least) this is the first film to use 100% digital audio. Keep all the mixes in there for historic preservation

This is my favourite concert release in surround.

If the Atmos mix is to same standard as the recent Atmos album streaming releases this will be outstanding. (Will Rhino do an Atmos lossless re-brick BDA set? I hope so!)

Funny co-incidence. I went out to dinner with a couple friends last night after which
we returned to my place, caught a little buzz, and put on Stop Making Sense concert.
They really don't get any better than this one, it's a gas!
I'd love to lay hands on a BD or UHD with Atmos sound of this one. !!!

Back