Strange extraction with DVD Audio Extractor

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I wanted to get the 6 5.1 mono files from the Paul McCartney DVD of "Fine Line", it was included on the DVD that came with Chaos & Creation in the Backyard. I used DVD Audio Extractor to extract the DTS tracks. When I started the program, it suggested upgrading to the latest version, so I did.

When I extracted the tracks and assembled them in Sound Forge, the playback was "fast", like the sampling rate and/or frequency was wrong. I chose to use the default sampling rate (or keep the sampling rate, whatever the option is), and did it twice with the same result.

I then tried the Dolby Digital track of the same tune and it worked perfectly! This has never happened to me before when extracting DTS.

Did I do something wrong? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Strange.............:mad:@:

Fine Line is also on McCartney Years which includes a whole lot of great dts tracks if worse comes to worse...weird though

Don't know your processing steps of course, but that sounds like you extracted at 44.1kHz and played back at 48kHz. I'm using DVD Audio Extractor version 4.2.1 and on step 2 of 4 is where the output sample rate is selected.

Suppose for a minute you chose 44.1 as your output sample rate. If you also chose to output individual channels as separate files, then when using Soundforge to re-assemble the channels into one track, you would need to open each mono wave into a new file. If your default new file is set at 48kHz sampling rate, this would account for how the sampling rate could be changed from 44.1k to 48k.

That's one scenario that would lead to a sped up version of an extraction. I'm sure there are other ways it can happen. BTW, to change the default new file sample rate, click on File/New rather than the New File icon. Don't know why but File/New and New File are two totally different beasts to Soundforge.

Jon
for extractions purpose you may use many others appz which can de-mux the streams from .vob files. ReJig and IFOEdit first ones which come to mind. both are freeware and would extract audio streams from video much faster than DVD Audio Extractor.

DVD Decrypter in Stream Processing mode is still by far & away the best tool here.
It will also - if you set it up in options - also give you DVD-Lab, Scenarist, DVD Maestro or lots of other forms of Chapter Lists too.
Then decode the DTS to PCM with either the DTS-HD StreamPlayer (renaming to .cpt instead of .dts) and you get the correct rates.

Works perfectly.

Transcode GUI will also take a DTS track and convert it to 6 mono wavs.

Thanks guys. It's really strange, as I've used that program time and time again, and this was the first problem I ever had. I never had to change the settings before, left everything at default, and then this happened. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal anyway. As you guys have said, there are many alternate ways to do this.

Remember as well that AudioMuxer is one of the best swiss army knives you can have in your arsenal.

Back