Suggestions for Record Cleaning

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I will describe how I make sure the record is thoroughly rinsed. After rotating the record numerous times with the detergent, I initially rinse the detergent off but then go back to scrubbing the record again with no detergent present to get into the groove to remove any remaining detergent. Then, I rinse again for a while and if I know the water is hard water, use distilled water as a final rinse.

To dry the record, I just use a lint free towel (dish towel, ideally washed several times) until the surface gets slick, which indicates it's dry. Upon the first playing I use a Discwasher brush just in case there's any dust left. There rarely is and I have never had any problems with surface noise after this procedure.

Doug
After drying use a Swiffer duster for final wipe before playing, it is cheap and effective.

This is on point.

A dry carbon fiber brush for lifting up stray dust (so it doesn't get mashed down into the groove from playing it!) for already clean records. For anything soiled with finger oil or worse, the above.
Nah, when you add in the labor cost of building your own the Canfab I linked above is actually cheaper.

Um, yes. I have seen it and others have too. Carbon fiber is harder than vinyl. Hence scratches. It's simple physics and material properties.

The original carbon fiber brushes were made so the carbon fibers were up, away from the ends of the other fibers contacting the vinyl. Later, the manufacturers got sloppier or users pressed too hard and - ssssccccrrratch.

Doug

One of the biggest lies in all audiophiledom has been that the Discwasher brush forces contaminants down into the groove instead of removing them. This was all started by carbon fiber proponents/manufacturers wanting to destroy the reputation of competition and pushing to make a buck.

Similar to competitors to CD-4 who spread numerous lies about CD-4

Doug

One of the biggest lies in all audiophiledom has been that the Discwasher brush forces contaminants down into the groove instead of removing them. This was all started by carbon fiber proponents/manufacturers wanting to destroy the reputation of competition and pushing to make a buck.

Similar to competitors to CD-4 who spread numerous lies about CD-4

Doug
The reason the Discwasher system isn;t better is because the brush holds contaminants from record to record. It has nothing to do with other types of brushes. Just get a Vacuum RCM like the very inexpensive one I linked above and be done with it. BTW, carbon fiber brushes aren't intended for cleaning, just dusting, like a floor broom vs a wet mop. I've owned dozens of brushes over 40 years and used them literally tens of thousands of times and NEVER had one scratch a record.

The Discwasher brush is to be cleaned between uses. You don't let the contaminants build up. The company explained this in their literature. It is only logic that dictates this.

I have not been referring to actual deep cleaning in my posts. If you use a machine or hand wash LP's you still need to dust them prior to play. If you have managed to use carbon fiber brushes without scratching the vinyl, I guess you were doing it correctly and not letting the carbon fibers drag on the record.

Many users, however, have complained carbon fiber brushes merely spread the dust around as they do not have the directional bristles of the Discwasher brush. I have seen this myself. And, the sometimes recommended sweeping the dust off the record sideways defeats the purpose. The Discwasher brush scoops up the dust and holds it in the fibers. I have used Discwasher brushes since they were introduced and this is true. In fact, with continued use, there will be no dust on records and none appearing on the bristles.

Doug

First, I will describe how I make sure the record is thoroughly rinsed. After rotating the record numerous times with the detergent, I initially rinse the detergent off but then go back to scrubbing the record again with no detergent present to get into the groove to remove any remaining detergent. Then, I rinse again for a while and if I know the water is hard water, use distilled water as a final rinse.

To dry the record, I just use a lint free towel (dish towel, ideally washed several times) until the surface gets slick, which indicates it's dry. Upon the first playing I use a Discwasher brush just in case there's any dust left. There rarely is and I have never had any problems with surface noise after this procedure.

Doug
Years ago I read an article in a hi-fi or electronics magazine that suggested washing your records in the kitchen sink with dish soap. I tried that but as I recall the article said nothing about using distilled water. Well, the hard well water ruined the couple albums that I tried it on. I was always careful about cleaning vinyl after that.

I've always been careful about keeping my records clean by placing them all in poly lined or rice paper sleeves. I used to treat them all with a record preservative, which actually helped to repel dist. I use the Watts Parastat, which has a brush and two felt pads for a quick light cleaning. I also have the Discwasher brush but prefer the Parastat.

As an avid DIYer I've always been intrigued by the idea of constructing a record cleaning machine. I've just never gotten around to trying to build one. Commercial machines are awfully expensive and the more affordable ones look cheap.

One suggestion for really dirty records is to coat them with a layer of wood glue (such as Lapage Bondfast) let it dry then peal away the dried glue layer. I would have to try that on a very dirty record that I don't care about first to see how it works, it just seems a little sketchy to me, but many seem to swear by it!

Wood glue actually works worse on really dirty records. If only grabs the surface dirt that would be easily rinsed away anyhow. That treatment is for records that have been cleaned but haven't responded well.

Usually, records rendered noisy by washing in hard water and allowed to dry, are corrected by rewashing and making sure the rinse is with distilled water. The noise comes from the minerals left on the groove walls, of course, and scrubbing will remove them.

Doug

I have always been a bit leery about the glue method because of the possibility of leaving a film behind from the glue. Has anybody ever microscopically looked at the groove after the glue is removed to see if anything is left behind?

I also want to mention that, once a record is thoroughly cleaned, it should never have to be again, with proper care. It only needs to be dusted before each play.

Doug

Last edited:
One suggestion for really dirty records is to coat them with a layer of wood glue (such as Lapage Bondfast) let it dry then peal away the dried glue layer. I would have to try that on a very dirty record that I don't care about first to see how it works, it just seems a little sketchy to me, but many seem to swear by it!

I've done it to a few records that seemed to be clean but were still noisy. It didn't hurt anything but also didn't help. It's really fun to peel off once it dries, though! You wind up with a "negative" of the record.

Anything that will grab the contaminants and pull them off/remove them. Well, you don't want a maid to help you - or a cat - or a dog.

:D

Doug

Back