Surround sound Car receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rck60s

Does anyone know who makes ( or if they make) a surround sound receiver for the car that will play SACD( 5.1) and DVD-audio ( 5.1) or DTS or Dolby 5.1...I was just wondering as I cannot find any here in the states

There was mention of a new BOSE head unit that is supposed to play any disc you throw at it. I'm told that the results improve greatly if you INSERT the disc....

Someone mentioned that...Is there any info on price or availability

Buy this new Bose DVD-A/SACD player, and get a FREE Ferrari!

What a deal.

At the rate things are going, that might be cheaper than trying to amass a good collection of pop/rock HiRez surround titles from scratch!

Anyone know if the new Cadillac CTS Bose edition has this unit? Also, I know that JVC released a unit that plays DVD-As, are there any others?

Al wondered:

"Does anyone know who makes ( or if they make) a surround sound receiver for the car that will play SACD( 5.1) and DVD-audio ( 5.1) or DTS or Dolby 5.1...I was just wondering as I cannot find any here in the states"

It appears that Alpine has what you are looking for (no native SACD, will probably play CD layer of hybrid disc):

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/series.php?category=AV_HU

I used to sell Alpine products back in the late 70s and early 80s. Good stuff for a reasonable price...

Al wondered:

"Does anyone know who makes ( or if they make) a surround sound receiver for the car that will play SACD( 5.1) and DVD-audio ( 5.1) or DTS or Dolby 5.1...I was just wondering as I cannot find any here in the states"

As noted earlier, the upcoming Bose Car Audio player will handle SACD and DVD-A and DVD Video discs, among others. A very interesting product indeed!

yes it is but like I said in my earlier post it will only be avail. in the ferrari....kind of a waste ...with a car like that who will be able to enjoy surround sound

yes it is but like I said in my earlier post it will only be avail. in the ferrari....kind of a waste ...with a car like that who will be able to enjoy surround sound

Initially it will only be available on that Ferrari model. But Bose has also suggested that it will be available beyond that later on. We'll watch and see what that involves.

For as much money as most of these units cost, I think it's a shame that none of them do HD radio.

If I'm gonna drop that kind of cash on a head unit, it better do HD Radio at this point.

Just read the manual and answered my own Question. This unit will not play Dolby Digital or DTS. SACD or DVD-A.

You read the manual differently than I do. The Owners Manual says it will play multi-channel DVD-V, SACD, and DTS CDs.

On page 19:
"For playback of DVD/CD in multi-channel format (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.)..."

"For playback of the multi-channel areas of an Super Audio CD..."

You can choose 176.4 kHz or 44.1 kHz output for SACDs.

It cannot play DVD-Audio discs, but you may be able to play the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc.

It also has Dolby Pro Logic II for matrix surround from 2-channel sources. It can run a center-channel speaker, or create a phantom center channel.

There is another thread on this site specifically about this Sony head unit.

as long as it will play DTS, and SACD that is all I need...I want surround sound in my car and I do not need DVD-A as long as I can get DTS and DVD-V...Problem is that I cannot find this unit anywhere in the Atlanta area......

If it'll do DTS, I may have to partake. Just had my car broken into last night and my CD/MP3 player stolen. Might as well upgrade while it's apart! ;)

Back