System Upgrade Alert... what would you do?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I’m looking to make some changes and I would like to hear what others have done or are considering doing. I want to add a Multi Channel (MC) digital music server to my system. I’ve tried to do some research into what’s involved, and I am unsure of exactly what is needed and how it all connects. I would hate to buy something only to find it doesn’t do what I expected.

But in the process of looking into all this I feel like I’ve come to a bit of a fork in the road.

There seems to be two directions one can take to build a MC system these days: In terms of the extremes, you can aim toward a high quality MC analog preamp along with sources that can output analog audio ...

OR…

move toward a digital control center and use sources that output digital audio.

At one extreme you can buy a digital front end that offers only digital inputs and no analog inputs at all. It seems like offerings of this type of product are growing.

At the other extreme you can buy a dedicated MC analog control center that has no digital inputs at all, only analog. These offerings are getting few and far between and they always seem to be offered by high end companies and tend to be somewhat expensive. There are no bargain priced MC analog-exclusive preamps.

In between these two extremes is the multitude of devices that try to be both a high quality digital and analog control center, a hybrid of sorts. My old B&K Ref 30 serves this purpose now, but it is an old model. Using its 5.1 analog inputs in direct mode it functions like a decent MC preamp, and using its digital inputs I can decode Dolby 5.1 from satellite TV. But there are no HDMI connections or Hi-Res codecs. So any Hi-Res playback has to come from the Oppo’s analog outputs. I also run an Outlaw ICBM inserted ahead of the power amp for bass management. This makes the vinyl purist in me happy since all my bass management is accomplished in the analog domain and I don’t need to digitize my vinyl playback (that would just be crazy talk).

Enter the problem: How do I plug in a digital music server. There is only one set of 5.1 analog inputs.

I don’t want a switchbox. I don’t need another box to cram into the works along with the resulting increase in spaghetti style analog connectivity. Besides, its time for an upgrade. My B&K is 15 years old with few service options if it breaks down (alas…my favorite and local Hi-Fi manufacturer has closed its doors). I am also missing out on all the digital room correction stuff available today in more sophisticated units.

A possible choice, and one I had been considering and lusting after, is a Parasound Halo P7 which is totally analog. It includes a built in analog bass management solution for stereo sources and has two 7.1 analog inputs. It even includes a decent phono preamp. For the music server I am assuming I could use something like this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8

I’m thinking it plugs into the 2nd set of MC inputs on the Parasound and a PC running JRiver software plugs into it. Thanks, Jim the Oldbe, for the miniDSP link you mentioned in a different post. Those miniDSP devices are interesting and reasonably priced components.

But still, this dosent provide digital bass management for the server or any room correction functions for any of the digital sources. And I would still need to integrate Dolby decoding for broadcasts.

For the same $2000 or so I could also get an Emotiva XMC-1. I think I can run all my digital sources, via HDMI or coax through its D/A converters, and use the direct mode stereo analog input (along with my ICBM) for my Vinyl setup. This also allows me to use modern digital room correction, which I currently do not have. I am also assuming that I can connect a JRiver enabled PC for use as a music server directly via USB.

Am I right on all of this? What are the pittfalls and the inaccuracies in my thinking? The Emotiva or an equivalent model (I’m sure there will be a different recommendation or two) is looking more and more like the more logical route and it can be had for less cost. The only issue I can see is I would need to output SACD as PCM for the Emotiva. No problems with any of the older DTS or DVD-A disks??

I’d like to hear your comments and experiences.

LuvMyQuad, I have TWO Parasound P7 analogue pre amps and although they're transparent and sound incredible I've been having quality control issues with BOTH of them. They sometimes freeze up and I sent one back to Parasound for 'repair' and within a week or so the problem returned.

Unless these 'bugs' have been remedied in future units, I would avoid Parasound P7's for NOW!

LuvMyQuad, I have TWO Parasound P7 analogue pre amps and although they're transparent and sound incredible I've been having quality control issues with BOTH of them. They sometimes freeze up and I sent one back to Parasound for 'repair' and within a week or so the problem returned.

Unless these 'bugs' have been remedied in future units, I would avoid Parasound P7's for NOW!

Thanks for the update. Good to know. Parasound is a reputable company and I'm sure they will make it right. But its still a hassle.

Incidentally, what made you want to go the full-analog route?

I've taken a different approach: (no analog anymore - I do have $1000 of analog cables though - sitting in a box!!)

All by sources have HDMI outputs so everything runs through my AVR (it has HDMI pass-through when off for one input so my cable STB is passed to my HDTV without the AVR on - just in standby).

I have all my audio-only discs on a server (all converted to FLAC in its original bit/sample rates) - remember FLAC is a compressed lossless file format (identical to source). Plenty of easy conversion programs around that all support FLAC.

I have all my music videos in their original file formats or converted to MKV (but always preserving the original video and audio streams in their native format).

I do my serious listening via a media player that bitstreams (via HDMI) digital audio to my AVR (Denon X7200WA). If its FLAC the AVR does the D to A conversion if its Video (DTS HDMA, DD, Atmos etc) the AVR decodes that and uses its D to A. Denon does the amplification. No external D/A for me.

I can playback my media files on my PC (crappy Logitech 5.1 system), decoding is done on the PCs Intel Processor (all recent Intel desktop procs can decode most formats).

My server is a Synology NAS. They come in sizes from a single hard disc to 36 plus. I have a couple of discs full of my music (audio/video) plus backup discs. So its not too expensive to jump in.

My media player is an Intel NUC (tiny Intel i3 PC about 2" x 4" x 4") with network connection and HDMI.

As an added benefit I run Kodi (free media software) and use an Ipad as the remote control. So I can create playlists 'on the fly', listen to pre-made playlists, search for albums/tracks while playing something else etc. I can mix music video and MCH audio in same playlist. Control the volume from my iPad...

Kodi also auto downloads pictures of the current Artist playing and creates a slide show of those while playing the tracks (if my TV is on). It can also display song lyrics automatically, show artist history/other albums, suggest similar artists etc while I'm listening passively.

That has been a lot of work initially, but wow what a great way to enjoy an evening (and my music)!!

In my CT system, I use a Marantz AV8802a, via its 7.1 analog input, for the output of the server/DAC (or via HDMI to bypass the DAC). I use the server for all music sources and with DiracLive EQ. HT sources go direct to the Marantz.

In NY, I have been using the AudioResearch MP1 as the main controller with the server/DAC, an Oppo 105 and the Meridian 861 feeding it.

FWIW, I just received a Parasound P7 to use while the AR is off for R&R.

Using a prepro with a decent 7.1 analog input is a good idea and, imho, the Emotiva seems suitable.

Thanks for the update. Good to know. Parasound is a reputable company and I'm sure they will make it right. But its still a hassle.

Incidentally, what made you want to go the full-analog route?

It was a "purist" attempt to try an ALL analogue system but in retrospect with HDMI being a necessity today...perhaps not such a great approach. Also, I'm one of those exotic cable people and 'quality' RCA interconnects don't come cheaply these days vs. a quality HDMI connector (I Use a Shunyata Research HDMI cable and find it's one of the VERY best). http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139532-shunyata-venom-hdmi-cable.aspx

I think Kal Rubinson's recommendation of utilizing the Emotiva pre/pro might be a sound one although, personally, I have no "history" with Emotiva products.

Like Kal, I'm also using the Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro with the incredible HDMI HD621 interface in my MAIN system and it's about as far away from analogue as it comes. Converts ALL incoming signals to PCM!

Back