SACD Multi-channel via HDMI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Forgive me if this has been covered/answered before (this is a section of QQ I don't visit often). In the early years of blu-ray players & SACD capable CD players, you could only play the multi-channel layers of SACDs through 5.1 or 7.1 analog connections, not HDMI connections. This was a "feature" Sony required for SACD player licensing to prevent digital copying of discs. All of my Oppo's (93, 103 & 203, the first two I bought used) can play multi-channel via HDMI connections.
I was reminded of this when a friend of mine with an older BR player asked me why he could not play MC layers of SACDs and confirmed that his connection was via HDMI.

What changed and when?

I suspect it had something to do with HDCP and allowing DSD bit-streaming...I don't think HDCP had been cracked yet so it was treated as an equally-secure transmission form.

Related to this original question (please correct me if i should post this somewhere else):

I still have a Pionee DV-747a SACD player with SACD output through 6 analog channels only. Recently I bought a Denon AVR-X2800H, which only has digital and HDMI inputs (and stereo analog inputs, not 6 channel analog). Which means I cannot play my SACDs now.
Are there any solutions to this? Does anyone know if there are converters analog=>hdmi available somewhere? I did a quick search and only found digital=>analog converters but not 6-ch analog => hdmi (or TOSlink/Coaxial).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Peter

Last edited:
Related to this original question (please correct me if i should post this somewhere else):

I still have a Sony DV-747a SACD player with SACD output through 6 analog channels only. Recently I bought a Denon AVR-X2800H, which only has digital and HDMI inputs (and stereo analog inputs, not 6 channel analog). Which means I cannot play my SACDs now.
Are there any solutions to this? Does anyone know if there are converters analog=>hdmi available somewhere? I did a quick search and only found digital=>analog converters but not 6-ch analog => hdmi (or TOSlink/Coaxial).

Peter
I assume you mean Pioneer DV-747a?

I do not know of any stand alone converters for 5.1 analog to HDMI, usually this is embedded in a BluRay player or an AVR.

I assume you mean Pioneer DV-747a?

I do not know of any stand alone converters for 5.1 analog to HDMI, usually this is embedded in a BluRay player or an AVR.
Sorry, my mistake. I mean a Pioneer DV-747A indeed. Have edited it in the original post.

I still have a Pionee DV-747a SACD player with SACD output through 6 analog channels only. Recently I bought a Denon AVR-X2800H, which only has digital and HDMI inputs (and stereo analog inputs, not 6 channel analog). Which means I cannot play my SACDs now.

Peter
If someone engineered a rather complicated device to create a digital signal for hdmi from 6 analog inputs, it would cost as much or more than a decent used dvd/sacd player. You'll need a slightly newer sacd player, one that allows for bitstream(?)/sacd over hmdi. I was using an older Oppo player for this purpose until recently getting a new Sony bluray player that also plays sacd.

Peter
Frankly, I suggest you replace the Pioneer. Using an inexpensive 6 channel AD conversion to HDMI will probably give crummy results. Using a studio quality 6 channel AD conversion and getting HDMI from it will be difficult and much more expensive than simply replacing the player (or keeping both).

If someone engineered a rather complicated device to create a digital signal for hdmi from 6 analog inputs, it would cost as much or more than a decent used dvd/sacd player. You'll need a slightly newer sacd player, one that allows for bitstream(?)/sacd over hmdi. I was using an older Oppo player for this purpose until recently getting a new Sony bluray player that also plays sacd.
This was the answer I was afraid of... ;-) Anyway I think you're right.

Frankly, I suggest you replace the Pioneer. Using an inexpensive 6 channel AD conversion to HDMI will probably give crummy results. Using a studio quality 6 channel AD conversion and getting HDMI from it will be difficult and much more expensive than simply replacing the player (or keeping both).
I'm afraid you're right. Thanks

Back