Ted Nugent Free For All / Cat Scratch Fever SACD - experiencing static/scratch sounds; anybody else with same issue?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnizzy

I’ve been listening to the Ted Nugent FFA/CSF SACD and on each layer of the disc (CD, 2Ch SACD, Multi Ch SACD,) there is an audible scratch/static like noise issue on the following track.

Track #12 “Death By Misadventure,”

Starts about the 1:55 track time mark, and happens intermittently until the 2:33 minute mark.

Specifically 1:56, 2:11, and 2:28 for me.

Happens on all SACD/Blu Ray/CD players I have.

Has anybody else experienced, or heard the same static like issue as described above?
For me it is very noticeable when cranked up; as Ted should be !!! : )

Not sure if I should exchange for a new disc, or if it's common to all pressings of the disc.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mine would arrive in a few days. I'll check then. Thanks for the warning. Cheers!

I just put it on and listened to DBM and did not hear anything static-y or anomalous at all.

That's a weird disc because FFA is in surround and stereo, and CSF is in stereo only. I actually have to go into my Sony and change the Music Settings to 2 Channel DSD to even get my player to recognize that CSF is on the disc. Likewise on my OPPO, I have to go to the menu and change the SACD setting to 2 CH before it will even recognize CSF.

However I didn't hear any static when listening to either player.

Thank you Emili, and Bill B for your replies.
Emili, I look forward to your future comments after you have had a moment to listen to the disc.
Bill, thanks for testing on both of your players. Happy to know your disc does not have any audible static/noise.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

I’ve been listening to the Ted Nugent FFA/CSF SACD and on each layer of the disc (CD, 2Ch SACD, Multi Ch SACD,) there is an audible scratch/static like noise issue on the following track.

Starts about the 1:55 track time mark, and happens intermittently until the 2:33 minute mark.

Has anybody else experienced, or heard the same static like issue as described above?

Not sure if I should exchange for a new disc, or if it's common to all pressings of the disc.

Try streaming the track (from Apple/Spotify/etc.) to see if these noises are present there, too. If so, it's probably just part of the song.

Just cranked mine,no issues whatsoever besides the musical mediocrity of some of the tracks
Granted some are killer buts lotso filler :ROFLMAO:

Are you sure you're switching layers properly? Only tracks 1-9 (the Free For All album) are available in multichannel, so whatever you're hearing for track 12 isn't MCH.

The kind of intermittent static you're describing can often be caused by a dirty (or dying) laser assembly on the CD layer, but it definitely wouldn't present the same way for SACD stereo. Normally when SACDs have authoring or data retrieval issues they go silent or skip, like the Jack McDuff/Joey DeFrancesco Concord SACD discussed here.

Just cranked mine,no issues whatsoever besides the musical mediocrity of some of the tracks
Granted some are killer buts lotso filler :ROFLMAO:
I hope the OP gets some resolution to this. On the other hand I can't help but think how humorously ironic it is to get scratching sounds on Cat Scratch Fever.

Thanks to all for your comments, testing, and humor. : )

I don't think it's a dirty lens, as it happens on every device I use, and only with the Ted Nugent FFA/CSF SACD.

I would have thought a lens issue too, as I will admit, my Oppo BDP-105D did have an issue even recognizing the SACD 2-Ch or Multi-Ch layers of this particular Ted Nugent SACD. All of my other SACDs were recognized and played back correctly.
After opening and closing the tray multiple times, it did recognize the Ted Nugent SACD layers once or twice, and then back to CD only.
So yes, I thought the Oppo was the culprit for the static as well.

At that point I went into all kinds of testing with multiple players to see if the static was present when playing back on other devices, or if my Oppo's laser pickup was causing the issue, as it just admittedly had an issue even reading the disc.

In short, I've tested the CD layer on all of my strictly CD compatible players (various Sony, and Yamaha players, a Musical Fidelity, a Denon, and two computer optical drives (LG, ASUS)... All of them produced the same result.

The SACD 2ch*, and CD layers were also tested on various SACD compatible devices ((3) different Sonys one was borrowed, an Onkyo, and an Oppo).(* yes, I stand corrected, the CSF portion of the disc is 2ch only)

I did listen to the same track on other formats I have, such as CD, Vinyl, and Flac download... and none of them have the static.

It's still an enjoyable listen... but when it's at a decent volume, those scratches just jump out at me.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your comments, testing, and humor. : )

I don't think it's a dirty lens, as it happens on every device I use, and only with the Ted Nugent FFA/CSF SACD.

I would have thought a lens issue too, as I will admit, my Oppo BDP-105D did have an issue even recognizing the SACD 2-Ch or Multi-Ch layers of this particular Ted Nugent SACD. All of my other SACDs were recognized and played back correctly.
After opening and closing the tray multiple times, it did recognize the Ted Nugent SACD layers once or twice, and then back to CD only.
So yes, I thought the Oppo was the culprit for the static as well.

At that point I went into all kinds of testing with multiple players to see if the static was present when playing back on other devices, or if my Oppo's laser pickup was causing the issue, as it just admittedly had an issue even reading the disc.

In short, I've tested the CD layer on all of my strictly CD compatible players (various Sony, and Yamaha players, a Musical Fidelity, a Denon, and two computer optical drives (LG, ASUS)... All of them produced the same result.

The SACD 2ch*, and CD layers were also tested on various SACD compatible devices ((3) different Sonys one was borrowed, an Onkyo, and an Oppo).(* yes, I stand corrected, the CSF portion of the disc is 2ch only)

I did listen to the same track on other formats I have, such as CD, Vinyl, and Flac download... and none of them have the static.

It's still an enjoyable listen... but when it's at a decent volume, those scratches just jump out at me.

Thanks again!
I reiterate:

Try streaming the track (from Apple/Spotify/etc.) to see if these noises are present there, too. If so, it's probably just part of the song.

I'm getting the impression that perhaps what you're hearing as "static" is an integral part of the arrangement.

Unfortunately I can only offer more dumb humor. Back in my youth, we had a barber whose name was Max Frieberg. We liked to sing Catch Max Frieberg! Da da da.
I knew a guy who was convinced that Deep Purple's song Smoke On The Water had the lyrics "Oh, cousin Roether", you know as in "Oh, cousin Roether, a fire in the sky....". He believed this in spite of others pointing out the song title.

There was surely some kind of inbreeding involved as the same guy also thought both Hawaii and Alaska were island states. He pointed to the fact that they were both depicted as islands on maps. He thought it was a freak of nature that Alaska had a perfectly straight line on the east side of the state. He didn't believe it was a border.

As I have just opened my package, I have specifically listened to track 12 only and it played fine.
No static or any kind of noise whatsoever.
Bear in mind it is a stereo only track on the Stereo SACD layer, so it should NOT be played using any kind of DSP Surround mode.
Hope you have solved the issue somehow.

Back