The Alan Parsons Symphonic Project Live In Colombia Blu Ray 5.1 DTS HD MA coming June

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone confirm whether this is either region free or region A so it will play in U.S. Blu-ray players? Amazon still has it listed as region B, and Bull Moose also told me a few weeks ago that it is region B so will not play in most U.S. players.

Can anyone confirm whether this is either region free or region A so it will play in U.S. Blu-ray players? Amazon still has it listed as region B, and Bull Moose also told me a few weeks ago that it is region B so will not play in most U.S. players.

Region free:

https://www.facebook.com/alanparsons/posts/10154363857827958

"We apologize for the confusion, but we would like to assure everyone that we have confirmed with the Record Label and Distributor that our USA release of The Alan Parsons Symphonic Project "Live in Colombia" on both Bluray and DVD tomorrow, are in fact playable in all countries with a Region 0 coding. This is an error on Amazon's part in product listing and description detail, and will be corrected shortly. Thank you for your patience and understanding!"

As Bright Side pointed out...the disc is Region Free...I'm playing it right now...all amazon had to do was put a picture of the cover in the ad as it had a big O on the front..indicating region free

003.jpg
004.jpg

Just received mine as well from ImportCD. So, Clint, what are your initial impressions?

It's just background music for me right now as I'm working on something..I just wanted to see if it played correctly...don't have it cranked up so it's hard to evaluate it right now...but I like the content and that is most of the battle...you will probably get a chance to do some critical listening before I do...at the price point it's a no brainer..

I can say that the 2.0 mix is stunning and is an absolute must have. Although Ian Bairnson's unique "electrifying" guitar tone is sorely missed. The stand-in guitarist does well but his tone is muddier than Ian's. The orchestra performs note for note and adds awesome dynamic range to the performance. Every song is executed marvelously, except for "Eye In The Sky" where Alan himself sings. His voice is so meek it sounds like a sing-a-long at a Colsky's favorite West End Pub. :confused: :violin

I lived in Colombia in 2006 & 2007. Prog artists toured South America at that time but avoided Colombia. Its great to see Colombia is back on the map as far as international acts who will perform there. :smokin

You are right about AP's voice...it's like he is talking in a soft tone...BUT I will give him credit for knowing this and using PJ and the other band members to help him on vocals.....I always say "a good man always knows his limitations"...

It's just background music for me right now as I'm working on something..I just wanted to see if it played correctly...don't have it cranked up so it's hard to evaluate it right now...but I like the content and that is most of the battle...you will probably get a chance to do some critical listening before I do...at the price point it's a no brainer..

And the irony: 104 minute HD BD~V with 2/0 & 5/1 for about 10 bucks and Alan wants something like $156 for a remastered Tales of Mystery and Imagination box set.....IMO, Edgar Allen Poe could've bought a LOT of nose candy for $156...back in the day.

Let me just mention that I've listened to...and watched(some) this blu ray concert and it's very entertaining..Parsons doesn't do much..mostly stands there and looks into space...very little emotion.....but his band members and the orchestra and choir make up for it...P.J. Olsson brings a lot of energy and vocals to the mix...Alastair Greene was the unsung hero of this show...his guitar work was impressive and he brought tons of emotion...Todd Cooper brought some much needed "grit" to the mix on sax...and then there was Danny Thompson on drums...he looks like he went to the Dave Grohl school of drummers...just beat the drums as hard and as long as you can and things will sound good...and it works...

I bought this in hopes that they could do one song well...Games People Play...and they did a superb job on it...Alastair really let it loose..and it seemed like the orchestra stepped up their game on that one...it was the last song...if the other songs sounded this emotion filled it would have been awesome...but there is enough on this disc to make it a "fun disc"...and the price is very cheap...it's worth the purchase in my opinion..

And the irony: 104 minute HD BD~V with 2/0 & 5/1 for about 10 bucks and Alan wants something like $156 for a remastered Tales of Mystery and Imagination box set.....IMO, Edgar Allen Poe could've bought a LOT of nose candy for $156!

But then by saying that, you're saying that Alan has complete control over the price of the "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" box set, which is definitely NOT true.
quadtrade, who personally knows Alan, has said that the PledgeMusic site is run by the Woolfson family estate, and Alan has no control over the price that they are asking for the Super Deluxe Edition on their site.
So, by all means, you can wag your finger about the box set's price, but please wag it at the right people.
From what it sounds like, Alan is actually trying his best to make sure there is a more convenient buying option for those of us primarily interested in the surround mix, so please don't wag your finger at him!
Thank you kindly.

But then by saying that, you're saying that Alan has complete control over the price of the "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" box set, which is definitely NOT true.
quadtrade, who personally knows Alan, has said that the PledgeMusic site is run by the Woolfson family estate, and Alan has no control over the price that they are asking for the Super Deluxe Edition on their site.
So, by all means, you can wag your finger about the box set's price, but please wag it at the right people.
From what it sounds like, Alan is actually trying his best to make sure there is a more convenient buying option for those of us primarily interested in the surround mix, so please don't wag your finger at him!
Thank you kindly.

Hopefully, Alan's wish will prevail and we will be privy to a stand alone BD~A with the 5.1 remix. And is it the Woolfson family who does own the rights to Mystery...do you know this for sure? I thought it was Universal Music as evidenced by the 2007 2 disc special RBCD edition of Mystery. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Myst...s+of+mystery+and+imagination&tag=acleint06-21

Hopefully, Alan's wish will prevail and we will be privy to a stand alone BD~A with the 5.1 remix. And is it the Woolfson family who does own the rights to Mystery...do you know this for sure? I thought it was Arista as evidenced by the recent 2 disc special RBCD edition of Mystery.

I never said that the Woolfson family owns the recording rights to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination…"
Universal owns the recording rights. The Woolfson family is simply presiding over the PledgeMusic site.
It's their site, and they can charge more money than the SRP (suggested retail price) if they want for the Super Deluxe Edition (and it looks like they are doing that) but AFAIK, the PledgeMusic site will not be the only site where the Super Deluxe Edition can be purchased, so I think once we get closer to the actual release date, you will see more buying options at better prices. (And we may even get more format options too, which should be good news for most of us!) :)

I never said that the Woolfson family owns the recording rights to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination…"
Universal owns the recording rights. The Woolfson family is simply presiding over the PledgeMusic site.
It's their site, and they can charge more money than the SRP (suggested retail price) if they want for the Super Deluxe Edition (and it looks like they are doing that) but AFAIK, the PledgeMusic site will not be the only site where the Super Deluxe Edition can be purchased, so I think once we get closer to the actual release date, you will see more buying options at better prices. (And we may even get more format options too, which should be good news for most of us!) :)

I amended my original post before you replied, RT to include Universal (NOT Arista). OK, so the Woolfson family is presiding over the PledgeMusic site so does this preclude Universal from doing their own stand alone BD~A release?

I amended my original post before you replied, RT to include Universal (NOT Arista). OK, so the Woolfson family is presiding over the PledgeMusic site so does this preclude Universal from doing their own stand alone BD~A release?

Absolutely not. Universal should still have the final say over what format options are released for "Tales of Mystery…" come December.

This DVD is region free. Not sure why this may be an issue but it is, and now it should not be! Says the source. Looks like a great deal.

My Blu-ray bought fom Amazon UK is marked as "Region 0" so presumably it should play anywhere. The surround mix is nice but the picture quality seems to have the colour drained from it a bit - not sure if this is due to the stage lighting, smoke effects or the NTSC process (but the menu is full colur). I've watched the concert a couple of times but still can't figure out why the picture is not quite right - treated as a Blu-ray audio disc though it sounds fine.

My Blu-ray bought fom Amazon UK is marked as "Region 0" so presumably it should play anywhere. The surround mix is nice but the picture quality seems to have the colour drained from it a bit - not sure if this is due to the stage lighting, smoke effects or the NTSC process (but the menu is full colur). I've watched the concert a couple of times but still can't figure out why the picture is not quite right - treated as a Blu-ray audio disc though it sounds fine.

Would you call the surround mix discrete? Is there more than just audience sound and echo coming from the rears? I haven't yet got around to ordering this one, and no-one has really commented on the surround mix yet.

Would you call the surround mix discrete? Is there more than just audience sound and echo coming from the rears? I haven't yet got around to ordering this one, and no-one has really commented on the surround mix yet.

Yes.

It's a really nice, discrete surround mix with the crowd well in the background (mostly of the front speakers) so they are not given any prominence in the mix. I would describe it as a "middle of the music" mix rather than a "middle of the band" mix as the instrumental placement varies a bit from song to song - drums are fixed in the front channels (mostly centre) and a lot of the keyboards are across the rears for most of the time but the general aim seems to be spread everything around you to give the best feeling for the individual songs. Highly recommended for the audio side.(y)

Absolutely not. Universal should still have the final say over what format options are released for "Tales of Mystery…" come December.
i doubt this. it's looks more like Woolfson trust just had secured a deal with UM in regard of licensing, similar to ones,
practiced by boutique labels and after that Universal has nothing to do with final product, distribution, marketing and pricing.

Back