The First Six QS LP's with their Q8 counterparts.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Didn't know if I should put this in the LP section or Q8 section, so it goes here! Finally completed a little collection: the First Six Command Quad QS LP's with their Q8 counterparts. I'll be honest, collecting the QS LP's was the EASY part. Tony Mottola/ Guitar, Paris was the first one I found at a junk shop in Hawaii on vacation in 2008. The other five came from eBay over the last two weeks - and they are NOT expensive! :) The Q8's have not been easy - especially due in part to my OCD, they must be the blue cartridge/ blue label variant. Anything less is simply unsatisfactory. The first five came from either eBay or junk shops - I think three came from the Gerbino collection few years back. Just recently I scored the "Broadway Basie's Way" Q8. I was much more ecstatic than a person should get over winning an 8-track tape but well.... I can't change who I am.

So, without further a-Deuterium, on with the show!

(Darn camera can't get 'em all in frame!)

Makes me wonder if there was ever another time when these records and tapes were even near each other?

How's the mix on Persuasive Percussion? I'm curious because that album was meant to be a demo of early "ping-pong" stereo in the late '50s. I wonder how many tracks it was originally recorded on.

How's the mix on Persuasive Percussion? I'm curious because that album was meant to be a demo of early "ping-pong" stereo in the late '50s. I wonder how many tracks it was originally recorded on.

Enoch Light was one of those artists who recorded on multitrack film as, even in the 50's, it was a cheaper alternative to multitrack tape. However, that title in particular sounds like the stereo mix up front with mostly some compression and echo in the rears. Anything that appears in Front Left also appears in Back Left. Matter of factly, I would say ALL of these LP's & Tapes are fake Quad. I don't know if they were mixed this way to satisfy early QS-decoder requirements or from lack of access or inability to play back the multitracks; but they are what they are and may help to explain why there was a three-year gap between these releases and proper Quad from multitrack sources. I do find it unusual (if not a little humorous) that all the Command Quad LP's from CQD-40006 and up all feature the blurb on the label "These tracks remixed to Quadraphonic from original multitrack sources" while this set of six LP's does not!

Back