The Official QQ NFL Tailgate Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really not great television to watch. It's actually quite funny that they've swayed enough fans to watch it. It is pure hype. Still, worth keeping tabs on to see what's happening.

It's better than reading posts of QQ members getting shipping notices for their discs ....I guess.
I got a shipping notice from Rhino that Rumours and the Doors are on the way. That's even more exciting than the Jets FINALLY taking an offensive lineman as their first round pick instead of Zach Wilson 2.0.

I got a shipping notice from Rhino that Rumours and the Doors are on the way. That's even more exciting than the Jets FINALLY taking an offensive lineman as their first round pick instead of Zach Wilson 2.0.
Yes shipping threads have their moments :rolleyes:...but for me...knowing how Gos has suffered with the Bears and Illinois in the college ranks ever since I have known him...it appears that the Bears have finally figured out what offense in the modern era is supposed to look like....you just can't draft a QB without any support and you need to have coaches that actually have a plan...not the high school approach to offense that we have seen...

I think of Field of Dreams...only this movie takes place in Illinois...not Iowa....yes there are farms there too(with soybeans)...but the backdrop of this movie isn't a cornfield/baseball diamond ..it's a back yard with a grill and the shadowy figure of a man slumped over in his chair... it is Sunday and this man has endured yet another loss of his beloved Chicago Bears....a man that is the master of his grill...a pioneer of the proper ordering procedure to avoid shipping damage from international music outlets)..why must he suffer...year after year...

Then on Sunday....it happens....he hears the voice'''Ease his pain"....the pain that has haunted him suddenly is reversed...there is a hope...he sees the light(at the end of the tunnel)....he can envision Sunday's full of hope....not dread.....now grilling isn't his only source of pride...

Great to hear from you @Clint Eastwood . I do check to make sure that you are visiting the forum from time to time...which lets us know that you are OK. :)

As for the Chicago teams:

- Last World Series Win: 2016 Cubs; 2005 White Sox
- Last Bears Super Bowl Win: 1986
- Last Bulls NBA Championship: 1998
- Last Blackhawks Stanley Cup: 2015 (2013 and 2010)

So it hasn't been too bad for GOS and the Chicago fans.

It's Ricky's (@cbmmm3 ) Lions that have really suffered: Last NFL championship was in 1957. :(

And @JohnN Maple Leafs: Last Stanley Cup was in 1967. :(

NFL Draft: Record 275,000 fans swarm downtown Detroit to witness first round​

Honestly, I have probably 1/100th of the width & depth of sports knowledge compared to the regulars on this thread. So the spectacle of the NFL Draft kinda just washes over me. But a spectacle it is. When it was in KC last year our Union Station was a beautiful back drop for the stage & people once again were talking about football & Kansas City. Forbes said 312,000 attended the multi-day event & $164.3 million was generated because of that. How do they judge this? I dunno. Even if they are off, by say, 10% that's still a lot.

Because of a good friend & former co-worker, I have a pretty positive connection to the city. But it's been fun reading & learning about the event in Detroit local news. Before today I didn't even know what Campus Martius was.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...fl-draft-2024-in-detroit-updates/73430278007/

So the spotlight is on Detroit & so much interest in the Lions. Perhaps this will be the year of the cat.

And good hearing from @Clint Eastwood! How are things going on the Space Station???

Last edited:
Honestly, I have probably 1/100th of the width & depth of sports knowledge compared to the regulars on this thread. So the spectacle of the NFL Draft kinda just washes over me. But a spectacle it is.
I haven't checked, but I'm sure that people can bet on which team takes which player; also on which player is selected in which round, in which position, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't understand the pick since they already had good wrs🤔????
Maybe the old 'best available athlete' thing,.......
Keenan Allen will be 32 tomorrow...the deal is basically a one year contract for the Bears...it was a safety net for Chicago in case they couldn't get the WR they wanted....plus he was rated higher than #9 in most mock drafts...so the value is there...

But I think the new regime in Chicago is trying to erase the embarrassment of how pathetic the offense has been for decades....it is almost like they thought the 85 Bears type of team is relevant in the NFL today....they had a talented QB in Fields...but they had no plan on offense and no support...it was up to Fields to run in a self preservation mode...

With all the improvements on the overall team...this QB will have a great support system...that is the good news for the Bears...BUT the bad news for them is the division they are in is much stronger now....the Lions are already one of the best teams in the NFL and the young Packers are back..

With the projected improvement of the Bears....I think the NFC North is better than the NFC East.....this will be the last year for Dallas to be competitive in the regular season....

Reactions: GOS
Great to hear from you @Clint Eastwood . I do check to make sure that you are visiting the forum from time to time...which lets us know that you are OK. :)

As for the Chicago teams:

- Last World Series Win: 2016 Cubs; 2005 White Sox
- Last Bears Super Bowl Win: 1986
- Last Bulls NBA Championship: 1998
- Last Blackhawks Stanley Cup: 2015 (2013 and 2010)

So it hasn't been too bad for GOS and the Chicago fans.

It's Ricky's (@cbmmm3 ) Lions that have really suffered: Last NFL championship was in 1957. :(

And @JohnN Maple Leafs: Last Stanley Cup was in 1967. :(
I'm curious to see what will happen to the NFL in the future....it appears that the business model will collapse....how can you keep raising the salary cap...giving individual players 100 million dollar guaranteed contracts....will it be like society....no middle class...so there will be a few high priced players and then the balance of your team is comprised of what?....cheap players.....if this salary escalation continues will the games be pay per view only? If not...how could fans actually go to games...I don't think the primary networks will continue to pay the huge network fees for these packages to cover the NFL

I'm interested in some thoughts on this business model...is there a breaking point for this salary escalation?

I'm curious to see what will happen to the NFL in the future....it appears that the business model will collapse....how can you keep raising the salary cap...giving individual players 100 million dollar guaranteed contracts....will it be like society....no middle class...so there will be a few high priced players and then the balance of your team is comprised of what?....cheap players.....if this salary escalation continues will the games be pay per view only? If not...how could fans actually go to games...I don't think the primary networks will continue to pay the huge network fees for these packages to cover the NFL

I'm interested in some thoughts on this business model...is there a breaking point for this salary escalation?

Unfortunately, I think that the time will come when a household will have to pay for every game that they watch. We are so addicted to the NFL that they are probably depending on that future model. They even have playoff game exclusives already such as with Amazon Crime and Peecock. In my mind, that is just "phase I" of the royal screwing to come.

Keenan Allen will be 32 tomorrow...the deal is basically a one year contract for the Bears...it was a safety net for Chicago in case they couldn't get the WR they wanted....plus he was rated higher than #9 in most mock drafts...so the value is there...

But I think the new regime in Chicago is trying to erase the embarrassment of how pathetic the offense has been for decades....it is almost like they thought the 85 Bears type of team is relevant in the NFL today....they had a talented QB in Fields...but they had no plan on offense and no support...it was up to Fields to run in a self preservation mode...

With all the improvements on the overall team...this QB will have a great support system...that is the good news for the Bears...BUT the bad news for them is the division they are in is much stronger now....the Lions are already one of the best teams in the NFL and the young Packers are back..

With the projected improvement of the Bears....I think the NFC North is better than the NFC East.....this will be the last year for Dallas to be competitive in the regular season....
hey Clint
good to see you

The NFC North will be brutal this year. I predict JJ will start at QB for Minny and shock many.
Of course , the Lions will be winning the Super Bowl, but its going to be a tough road to get there.

RickyPicks is back btw ( he was in rehab ) and he is shouting over my shoulder about the NFC North....he sez, Lions eek it out for the division, Green Bay and Minny in a tie for second only 2 games behind the Lions. Bears 4th...too much new, will take a year for them to gel

Yes, be gentle to @cbmmm3. We finally have him talked 'off the ledge' where he was teetering on just a few short years ago.
But with all the blue koolaid he's been ingesting, anything could happen😒

Last edited:
Back