The only connectionthat HIREZ MLTICH hs with the original performance is that the not

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermwilson

Hi,
I just finished reading a review in December's Sound & Vision about the mltich treatment of "The Flaming Lips" Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, dvd-a 5.1 where the descriptin of the wildly inventive mix is heralded as being the possible savior of dvd-a.

This supports JonUrban's earlier post and "BILLBOARDS" (thinking out loud) of the revival of recorded music connected to mltich.

The review continues to describe the drums in "Flight Test" the first piece, where the drums start moving around you in a clockwise fashion.

Elliot Scheiner and co producer Dave Fridmann have perhaps been listening to either Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" or '"The Best Of Mickey Hart".
In any case, I own and enjoy the latter two and as perhaps as Billboard rightly guesses, if it wern't for dvd-a mltich I would probably never have heard either of these albums.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if one of the steadfast goals of recorded music has been to been to bring the listener closer to the original performance, it went out the window with many of these mltich mixes.

I'm not really a purist, it's just that the rules have changed and I'm wondering, (if it hasn't happened already) at what point do they have the creative licence to change the order of the notes.

Peter m.

Last edited:
petermwilson said:
I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if one of the steadfast goals of recorded music has been to been to bring the listener closer to the original performance, it went out the window with many of these mltich mixes.
QUOTE]

It really depends on who you ask, but I don't think that's been the case for a long time...when you start to bring multitracking and studio trickery into the mix, it's less about approximating an "original performance", and more about creating an interesting sonic work of art. Case in point, there's no way the Beatles could have performed "Sgt. Pepper" back in 1967...in any event, I don't think multichannel is either a savior or a death-knell, merely another tool in the arsenal of the creative musician.

Hi Joe,
In "The Beatles Anthology" Paul mentions that it would have been technically impossible to perform SP live and that it was meant to be exactly what it is, a studio creation without apology, and Your absolutly right about "who you ask" if were going to suggest that there are rules.
The goal however has always been the same and that's "create a sound that people want to listen to so much that they are willing to buy it."

As I've said a gazillion times before to me its all about the music and how I relate to it. I'm not important enough to take a position on how someone else's music should be delivered to my ears. but I do have an opinion on whether I like it or not.

Last night on the American Music Awards, Fleetwood Mac performed from Hamburg. If the song they played was from their new (made for mltich dvd-a) Say You Will, I didn't recognize it and I wonder how much of that album they can take on the road and then have the music buying public pick up the dvd-a after witnessing a performance and somewhat repeating their experience.
I guess here is where the 2ch purists say "I told you so" and have an excellent point as well as hopefully the availability of a hirez 2 ch portion.

Anyway, I think that pretty soon no matter who you ask will say "If there ever were rules their gone now"

Peter m.

Back