The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one just came up for us here - Robyn Hitchcock at a small venue up in Santa Fe. Sunday show so it'll be a nice day to have lunch up there, shop around a bit, and an easy 45 minute drive home after the show.

I've got tickets to see Robyn in April. He never disappoints. His music could be amazing in surround!

I've got tickets to see Robyn in April. He never disappoints. His music could be amazing in surround!

I saw him a few times in the 80's with The Egyptians and though I kept up with buying most of the albums I always seemed to miss the live shows in my areas for one reason or another. Show we'll be at is March 31...looking forward to it!

Terrific show by the Jerry Douglas Band @ City Winery - December 29th, 2017, supporting the new 'What If' album that includes a cool cover of Hey Joe.

Jerry Douglas.jpg

Jerry Douglas2.jpg
Jerry Douglas3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm much more patient and curious about music today than when I was younger and appreciating the classics more fully now than back in its day. This was a delightful Hot Tuna show @City Winery Nashville on January 11th, 2018. When they walked back out after an intermission I exclaimed "Swagger and Nuance!" Jack quickly adopted a 'who, me?' self-referential point-at-his-lapels posture, looking full Steve Buschemi! Didn't get that in my photos. :)

Hot Tuna1.jpg

Hot Tuna.jpg
Hot Tuna2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd seen Al Stewart solo at City Winery in NYC (when high school friend Cindy Lee Berryhill opened for him) a couple years ago, this was a chance to see him with full band (that also functioned as the opener). This show was at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CA on Jan 18th, 2018 with my best friend. It's hard to get good photos there so we sat in the back, concentrating on our drinks and laughs. Al's sidekick with the wireless sax was on hand to walk through the crowd.

Al Stewart.jpg

Last edited:
Five days after Al Stewart, John Hiatt played at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CA on Jan 23rd, 2018. This time my friend Nick joined me and we were about in the middle of the standing crowd. Slide guitar ace Sonny Landreth was on hand for this tour that including most of Slow Turning, which is my overall favorite Hiatt album. They played the material beautifully and John told some of his trademark funny stories along the way. Again difficult to get good photos there.

John Hiatt.jpg

Yes my wife does attend shows with me if 1) the music is in her wheelhouse and 2) it's a Fri or Sat night as she gets up early. She joined me for this Snarky Puppy show @ Marathon Music Stage in Nashville on Feb 16th, 2018. As some of you might be aware, this band born of a Texas college music class, morphs with new players coming into the band and their sound changes often. I really fell for the opening act FORQ, which is actually a side project of Snarky Puppy bassist Michael League (also collaborating with David Crosby as of late). Since Michael was playing in Snarky Puppy this night, the bass duties were handled ably by Kevin Scott. After the show, I bought all of the current FORQ CDs from their website.

FORQ opening
Forq.jpg

Snarky Puppy - previous guitarist (on Culcha Vulcha album) was moody great; this new guitarist brought a more up-front edgy element
Snarky1.jpg

This young fellow really struggled on his first trumpet solo yet seriously nailed it the rest of the night!
Snarky2.jpg

I first saw Robin Trower @ Golden Hall in San Diego in May 1975. Local hero Bill Lordan had just taken over the drum chair and they were supporting For Earth Below. Since the release of the previous Bridge of Sighs smash hit album the year before the size of his audience had grown considerably. Now we fast forward to his current day shows; smaller venues once again, yet no less fiery guitar playing. Like the gig down in Chattanooga, TN last year, a great little rock duo named Strange Vine from Fresno, CA opened the show. It was amazing what two men could do; the drummer would also play a Fender Rhodes piano type keyboard with one hand at times while drumming with the rest of his body! The other fellow plays some volcanic slide guitar and they both sing on top of that. They had a CD EP that I bought at this Nashville gig at the Marathon Music venue on March 16th, 2018. Robin Trower's group came out and got the crowd going immediately. They did play some great newer material and of course played the monster hits that were FM radio staples for years. Robin seemed at ease and you could really see him getting into it during some epic soloing. The younger rhythm section ably supported his every move.

Strange Vine.jpg

Trower1.jpg

Trower2.jpg

Trower3.jpg
Trower4.jpg

Last edited:
Eric Johnson is one of the greatest all-round guitarists operating just under the radar. Starting with The Electromagnets in his native Texas, he has been making great music for decades. His peak commercial album was 1990's Ah Via Musicom. Having seen Eric Johnson several times over the years, I knew it would be a great show then became aware they'd be playing that entire album sealed the deal. On March 21st, 2018 he graced the stage @ City Winery in Nashville with musical neighbor from Austin, Arielle opening and also joining in on the evening's finale.

Eric1.jpg

Eric2.jpg

Arielle.jpg
Arielle Eric.jpg

Eric Johnson is one of the greatest all-round guitarists operating just under the radar. Starting with The Electromagnets in his native Texas, he has been making great music for decades. His peak commercial album was 1990's Ah Via Musicom. Having seen Eric Johnson several times over the years, I knew it would be a great show then became aware they'd be playing that entire album sealed the deal. On March 21st, 2018 he graced the stage @ City Winery in Nashville with musical neighbor from Austin, Arielle opening and also joining in on the evening's finale.

View attachment 37815

View attachment 37816
View attachment 37817 View attachment 37818
I have his Ah Via album, I didn't realise he was still gigging! Has he ever gigged in the UK?

2019 North American King Crimson tour dates have been announced:

9/3: L.A.
9/5: Oakland
9/6: Oakland
9/8: Denver
9/10: Chicago
9/12: D.C
9/14: Toronto
9/17: Montreal
9/19: Boston
9/21: NYC
9/23: Philadelphia