The SugarCube all-in-one vinyl noise removal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

Came across this new device on the net this is not a new idea but with todays tech, what do you think about it`s hype

http://www.sweetvinyl.com/

Well, it obviously has AD and DA built in. So their click detection is done digitally.
$2000 for 2 channels of AD and DA with only unbalanced connections and no gain staging control? And probably not much control over the digital signal processing that they use to remove clicks?

Yeah... nope!

I'd buy Apogee converters or better and do the AD transfer myself. Then use iZotope RX and clean up any damage artifacts (assuming one could not locate an undamaged copy of said vinyl). Remove the clicks/pops with care and attention to detail so as not to remove any content with them! Then store the cleaned files in my digital archive and play them that way.

But I'd try to hunt down an undamaged copy on Ebay before putting in that effort!

The real question is, can you buy two and use them for the front and rear outputs of a CD-4 Demodulator...

Assuming the CD~4 demodulator has 4 outputs, I cannot see why not.....but then if you're going to insert a Surround Master into the equation you're talking about a shitload of RCA in/out cables [and they better be of reasonable quality or else why bother]......and seeing that the SUGARCUBE @ MusicDirect is ineligible for further discounts you're looking at a hefty price tag of $4K for the SUGARCUBES alone ......... probably WAY [WAY] more than the average TT/tone arm/cartridge combo!

There's an Audio Store down in Vancouver that had one of these on display. When the owner was giving me the guided tour, he pointed out this tremendous little gadget.
He even did a demonstration where he scratched an LP with his keys (I could barely watch - nails on a chalkboard type deal) and when that LP was played back, you could barely tell there was several enormous gouges in the record.

I did ask about CD-4 compatibility and some more involved questions about the unit, but he simply wasn't as "up" on the unit as you'd expect. It is a good unit, I can testify to that, but for the price.... eeeeh.... you can find a better copy of the record you'd want plus a disc washer - hell, even one of those ultrasonic record bath's for a quarter of what this would cost.

You could go whole hog and get 2 channels of Apogee AD and DA converters (eg Duet) and the iZotope RX suite for under $500. That's pro quality AD & DA conversion and the best digital restoration suite available. If it's for a rare album that you truly can't find in better shape and/or the price is just stupid, you wouldn't want to trust an 'on the fly' unit like this anyway.

Since the resurgence of vinyl it was only a matter of time before all the "gadgets" emerged...I wonder what you are going to "record" with the SC-2?

I'll just patiently await for these Matrixed/CD~4 Vinyl records to be released as multichannel SACDs in SUPERIOR resolution [yeah, right ......]!

The SUGARCUBES are rich boy toys for fanatics!

Hi. All

As I said this is not a new idea it came out about 30 od years ago but the analog device had some side affects with todays digital tech sky's the limit.
Its like the lazer turn table that came out about the same time the idea no ware on the vinyl is what every body would love to have but it did not catch on and it came when vinyl was on the way out, but I think there is a very small company in japan how still make a lazer turn table ichive institutes buy them for preserving old and rare LPs and people how has a fat wallet.
BBQ...

PS. Its like anything if the BIG companies don't take up these good ideas and it`s left to nitch companies the price will inevitably be high.
Just think if there was a lazer turntable with this sugarcube tech all in one and was priced RIGHT, would you buy such a device.

Last edited:
Back