The Thorns self-titled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dprokopy

Didn't see this one over on the "Poll" thread, so I figured I'd post about it here. Picked this one up as part of my order of cheap Sony discs. Had been eyeing this album since it came out, after reading many many great reviews for it, but had never bothered to pick it up. At any rate, I'm glad I did. Great album, and very strong (yet tasteful) surround mix.

For those who aren't familiar, The Thorns is a trio consisting of Matthew Sweet, Shawn Mullins and Pete Droge. The album is VERY reminiscent of CSN (particularly their later-Seventies work, I found). You can check them out on their official website: The Thorns

dprokopy said:
Didn't see this one over on the "Poll" thread, so I figured I'd post about it here. Picked this one up as part of my order of cheap Sony discs. Had been eyeing this album since it came out, after reading many many great reviews for it, but had never bothered to pick it up. At any rate, I'm glad I did. Great album, and very strong (yet tasteful) surround mix.

For those who aren't familiar, The Thorns is a trio consisting of Matthew Sweet, Shawn Mullins and Pete Droge. The album is VERY reminiscent of CSN (particularly their later-Seventies work, I found). You can check them out on their official website: The Thorns
Really? I think the mix is poo. Sometimes it's almost non existent! The overall sound is more compressed than a waffle. Musically it's an 8 ! ...mix, it's a 3! IMHO of course!

Last edited:
daved64 said:
Really? I think the mix is poo. Sometimes it's almost non existent! The overall sound is more compressed than a waffle. Musically it's an 8 ! ...mix, it's a 3! IMHO of course!
Well, it wasn't a real "excessive" mix, to be sure. I thought it was rather tastefully done, though. Mostly acoustic guitars in the rears.

Then again, heck, I liked the Norah Jones mix, so what's that tell ya? :D

dprokopy said:
Then again, heck, I liked the Norah Jones mix, so what's that tell ya? :D

Very informative. Tells me we have little in common. ;-)

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Very informative. Tells me we have little in common. ;-)
I guess for some albums, a less rear-intensive (how's that for a phrase?) mix tends to work for me. Some stuff (Flaming Lips, Polyphonic Spree) screams for lotsa stuff happening all over. Other stuff (more straightforward rock stuff), to me, works better mostly in the fronts, with some tasteful "coloring" in the rears. But that's just me.

Hey, at least we both liked the music. (y)

daved64 said:

Musically I would rate it even higher at a 9. But you are right the surround is really poor and it is severely compressed to my ears. I would rate the SACD really no better than the CD.

dprokopy said:
I guess for some albums, a less rear-intensive (how's that for a phrase?) mix tends to work for me. Some stuff (Flaming Lips, Polyphonic Spree) screams for lotsa stuff happening all over. Other stuff (more straightforward rock stuff), to me, works better mostly in the fronts, with some tasteful "coloring" in the rears. But that's just me.

I was referring to the music as well. Hard to care too much about the mix when the music doesn't entertain.

Kal (who has disposed of all of those including 2 copies of Polyphonic Spree)

Kal Rubinson said:
I was referring to the music as well. Hard to care too much about the mix when the music doesn't entertain.

Kal (who has disposed of all of those including 2 copies of Polyphonic Spree)
Yeah.....I can't bear to listen to those classical pieces that have been done to death. ;)

dprokopy said:

My biggest fault is with the harmonies. They begged to be spread around, but I have a feeling a lot of them were done CSNY style with one microphone. Still, some of the guitars could have been spread around more.

daved64 said:
Yeah.....I can't bear to listen to those classical pieces that have been done to death. ;)

Point taken, although I do listen to other than classical.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Point taken, although I do listen to other than classical.

Kal

There's always Bucky! I listen to Classical and all this other stuff as well including Polyphonic Spree. I love all kinds of music when it is done right.

Guy Robinson said:
There's always Bucky! I listen to Classical and all this other stuff as well including Polyphonic Spree. I love all kinds of music when it is done right.

I could say the same except the definition of "when it is done right" varies from person to person. I am grateful to get lots of discs without asking and, frankly, I play everything at least a bit. Of the classical stuff, I probably keep about 90%. Of the rest, about 10%. Of course, if I let my wife (or anyone else) choose, the proportions would be very different.

I am just happy that there is enough of what I like available and still being released. Hope you can say the same.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
I am just happy that there is enough of what I like available and still being released. Hope you can say the same.
Kal

Well since my "range" appears to be wider there is even more coming out for me to enjoy. :)

Back