Thoughts on an "old" P. Gabriel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss9001

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Just got around to getting the Security SACD. Several weeks ago, I was listening to my original CD through both QS Synth and Dolby PLIIx; the CD sounds great in both but I'd still give the nod to QS for overall separation. Afterwards, I thought it was time to check out the stereo only SACD.

Interesting difference in listening experience...
On the SACD, Gabriel's vocals to me sounded a tad clearer. All the sound textures seemed more smooth. Stereo imaging was top notch, although so was the CD.

BUT, when I played the SACD through either QS or PLIIx, the soundfield just seemed to be missing something. The surround channels were NOT as active as from the CD.:confused: With the CD, the level was either higher or there just wasn't as much extraction taking place. I was really surprised and starting to A/B several songs with several formats: QS, SQ, PLIIx, and even Neo6. In each song with each format, the CD won out over the SACD.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any explanation? Could the engineers have stripped out some out-of-phase ambient clues in the SACD mix????

Although I'm pleased with the SACD, I was expecting nice quad synth effects from it and no enchilada.:(

This one should have been a multichannel release.

ss9001

Last edited:
It should have been multichannel but you have to admit that the SACD sounds fantastic even though it is just stereo. The drums on "Lay Your Hands On Me" for instance have a dynamic feel that is not even close to the CD which pales in comparison.

Are you running the CD through analogue or digital cables? That may be the difference if you are running it throught digital cables compared to analogue for the SACD.

Odd to say the least. I suspect it's probably down to several things; for example the different EQ used; the noise characteristics of SACD and CD etc.
I doubt the engineers will have stripped away out of phase information though.

Possibly the leads will have something to do with it, or rather, what happens at each end, for I'm a notorious cable sceptic on the basis that no conductor (metallic) introduces non-linear distortion. Fact. It would take monumental incompetance to design a bad digital lead (or an analogue one for that matter, though there's plenty of incorrectly designed ones about at daft prices: I saw an analogue pair that were basically tubes filled with mercury[!!!] for a mere £8000 the other day, I kid thee not), so it won't be that: it shouldn't in itself make a scrap of difference if it's digital or analogue, for electrons are electrons to a piece of wire. On the other hand, the DACs used are different, and I suspect this is where the major difference lies. I doubt we'll ever know for certain though, with it being such a subjective issue.

Only my DVD player has PLII & it only works when sending it through a digital cable, it will not work on things through the analogue outs. My mistake for thinking receivers would do the same.

discman said:
Are you running the CD through analogue or digital cables? That may be the difference if you are running it throught digital cables compared to analogue for the SACD.

Let me clarify something on my comparison. When playing a CD using the Sansui, I use a late model top-of-line Pioneer Elite lasersdisc player's analog outputs to the Sansui QRX receiver, thru the Sansui's QS decoder & preamp, and into a Pioneer Elite 59TXi receiver's multichannnel analog inputs.

SACDs & DVD-A's are played on a top-of-line Pio 59AVi universal player using ILink to the Pio receiver. The 59AVi should have a better CD section than the DVL-91 LD player. Playing a SACD, I have 1 digital I-Link cable to the Pio rec.

When listening to both CD & SACD in stereo, I used the 59 universal player thru ILink so the receiver's DACs and DSP was used for both. In stereo, the audible difference between the 2 was subtle to my ears, slightly better dynamics, slightly more detail and smoother vocals.

The difference between the SACD and CD using Dolby PLIIx was not only different but HUGE. The surround channels just were not that present with the SACD, while the CD produced very active surrounds, with discrete-like front to back and left to right separation. As stated B4, playing the CD with the Sansui's QS (and the more complex signal path) was even better than PLIIx. I was quite surprised.

I was almost ready to take the SACD back and save $15, but the wrapper was already off and it was better in stereo.

That's why I was asking if anyone here noticed this as well.

ss9001

Last edited:
Back