Time/Pitch correction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
What do you guys use for this that does not "crap up" the sound?

Thanks

I use Nuendo. I use the lowest setting to get the pitch right and then use the KPEX setting to do the actual re-pitch.

Yep.
Me too - that MPEX algorithm is awesome. Set to Poly mode, and make sure that the Formant box is checked.
I have been using this for a while now, and it really works well.

Yep.
Me too - that MPEX algorithm is awesome. Set to Poly mode, and make sure that the Formant box is checked.
I have been using this for a while now, and it really works well.

OOOps... I meant MPEX.... KPEX was a movie:rolleyes: and then there is K-FED but that's another story...

Also leave the time correction square blank. This will assure that as you raise or lower the pitch the wav will get longer or shorter much like pitching a turntable.

Now I have a question...

In Nuendo 2 you can check or uncheck the time correction box and the MPEX setting still remains. In Nuendo 3 if you check the time correction box MPEX and formant and POLY settings disappear. I have been using Nuendo 2 but if there is a way to use N3 and still keep the time of the file correct (longer for a pitch down - shorter for a pitch up) that would probably be best... yes?

Now I have a question...

In Nuendo 2 you can check or uncheck the time correction box and the MPEX setting still remains. In Nuendo 3 if you check the time correction box MPEX and formant and POLY settings disappear. I have been using Nuendo 2 but if there is a way to use N3 and still keep the time of the file correct (longer for a pitch down - shorter for a pitch up) that would probably be best... yes?

Hi Bob.
I don't understand the problem here, so needto ask exactly what you did to find a "time correction" box as I cannot see this.
See attached screenshot for what I am getting here.
To get there, right-click the audio file (in the pool or the arrange woindow, makes no difference) and go to "Process/TimeStretch"

Attachments

• mpex_n3.JPG
    mpex_n3.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 106
Adobe Audition does the same thing equally well or better, and with a lot less work. Just go into the Time and Pitch dialog box and select ONE AT A TIME. The artifacting noises people report is from one of three things:

1. Trying to pick up or drop the key or tempo too far from the original.
2. Selecting a tempo AND key change at the same time.
3. having either of those two be too opposite of each other like 3-flats tempo but 3-sharps key.

One really important thing to remember about this.
If you are stretching a Quad mix, then you *must* use an interleaved file.
Otherwise you will introduce phasing problems.
We found this out the hard way when we had to printmaster a 5.1 mix I did for a movie. I'd never done this before so had no idea at all, and tried to do the stretch from 25fps to 24fps using the 6 mono WAV files independantly. The phasing was noticeable.
Re-ran as a 5.1 interleave, and there were no issues at all.

AFAIK, Audition cannot do a quad or surround interleave, but it can do a stereo one - which is only any use if it is an SQ or QS matrix that is undecoded.

Back