TONIGHT: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 7pm- 10pm: SPECIAL GRAND OPENING EVENT: LIVE QUADRAPHONIC RECORDING, Oakland, CA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Quad Friends, My name is Daniel Peters and I've put together a collection of just about every consumer audio visual device ever invented. I created the Dead Media Center mostly as a resource for artists and performers who want to view and research obsolete media, even obscure media like wire recorders, CED video disks, 16" records, magic lantern slide projectors, etc. I'm especially fond of Quadraphonic and CD4 sound systems. This Saturday I'm celebrating the grand opening of the Dead Media Center by having a live, open to the public, recording session at The Dome in Oakland California. Our sound engineer will be using a 1973 (I think) Teac (or Tascam, I keep forgetting which) 3440s reel to reel four channel deck to record a local 4 piece jazz band called Dream Kitchen. It's a total Nerd-O-Rama event, but if you live in the Bay Area and you are interested, please swing by, watch the recording and visit the Dead Media Center. www.deadmediacenter.org

Sorry, got excited when I saw the title.
Wrong Dead, Wrong Oakland.

Good luck with your event.

Do you want any Edison Diamond Discs donated?
I could let you have a few of mine , I have no way to play them.

1695169585211.png

1695169557196.png

Hi Quad Friends, My name is Daniel Peters and I've put together a collection of just about every consumer audio visual device ever invented. I created the Dead Media Center mostly as a resource for artists and performers who want to view and research obsolete media, even obscure media like wire recorders, CED video disks, 16" records, magic lantern slide projectors, etc. I'm especially fond of Quadraphonic and CD4 sound systems. This Saturday I'm celebrating the grand opening of the Dead Media Center by having a live, open to the public, recording session at The Dome in Oakland California. Our sound engineer will be using a 1973 (I think) Teac (or Tascam, I keep forgetting which) 3440s reel to reel four channel deck to record a local 4 piece jazz band called Dream Kitchen. It's a total Nerd-O-Rama event, but if you live in the Bay Area and you are interested, please swing by, watch the recording and visit the Dead Media Center. www.deadmediacenter.org
Good concept, like that. But the site navigation is unusable. If I click on the "Laserdisc Deck " that shows 22 entries nothing happens. Same for the others I've checked.

At any rate the live event sounds tons of fun. Living in Kansas I shan't be there. Looking forward to follow up how it goes. Best of luck!

I'm not fond of terms like "obsolete" or "dead" media especially when referring to anything Quadraphonic. Historic Media might be a better term. It is nice that such a center does exist however. I hope it does well and now I feel very old!
Yes, media tech rarely dies, it just goes into hibernation. Look at the analog LP revival. Looking towards to the AM crystal radio renaissance.

The original streaming media.

Last edited:
I'm not fond of terms like "obsolete" or "dead" media especially when referring to anything Quadraphonic. Historic Media might be a better term. It is nice that such a center does exist however. I hope it does well and now I feel very old!
I mostly agree with you. Calling it Dead Media is more of a gimmicky way of branding the resource centre, it's not the way I feel about it. I'm excited to make brand new professional quality Quadraphonic recordings of contemporary music.

I will have to split my time on Saturday between the California Audio Show down the street in Emeryville and the Dead Media Center.

VU meters are coming back. Check out Yamaha's 50 pound receiver's meters....

g022RN2KASL-F.jpg
Indeed a nice looking unit & at 145 WPC/4 ohms not bad on power. I like the front panel controls as opposed to needing a remote for every function. With LP phono pre-amp. I another post I suggested the use of 2, stereo integrated amps as an alternative to vintage for 4.0 sound. This is even better with a subwoof out if one wants to use it.

However a super quick check shows this is a 4K product. Not 4K video but $4K. Ouch!

So, the time for this Event is

7pm-10pm Tonight.​

Saturday 23, 2023​

951 62nd Street,
Oakland, California.

I can’t make it there tonight, but try to make it another time.

Back