Top BR's to get for sound-music titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I'm new to the BR crowd and was wondering from those that have had BR for a while what would you rate as the best ones to get for sound(best surround titles).
I only have 4 so far and can only comment on 2 as haven't gotten to the other 2 yet.

Elton at 60-Video-top notch and sound is pretty good. Video at 10 and sound about a 8.
Iron Maiden Flight 666-Video top notch but sound would rate low. Video 10 Sound-5. To much crowd noise mixed in,vocals buried and music sounds brickwalled to me, not enough seperation. A big let down for the surround mix for me.

Have Rush Snakes and Arrows and Led Zepp-Song Remains the Same to get to next.

I didn't know the Iron Maiden title even exists but the rest of the titles you mention I own and would recommend. Last I checked several Image Entertainment concert Blu-ray discs were available for $7.99 at Amazon.com incluing Roy Orbison "Black and White Night" which is a favorite of mine.

Chris

I have to say the I am generally disappointed in the use of surround for the Blu Ray music titles to date with the exception of a few titles that were originally mixed for DVD (Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night" is notable) - nothing else AFAIK as discrete as Eliot Scheiner's exceptional live concert work.

That having been said, there are several titles I would recommend that even though they are primarily "concert style surround mixes"-audience and "room" in the rears, the 5.1 DTS HD MA codec can be quite engrossing. In order of preference;

1. Return To Forever "Returns - Live At Montreux 2008"
2. Jeff Beck "Performing This Week Live at Ronnie Scott's"
3. Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire "Live At the Greek Theatre"
4. k.d. Lang "Live In London with the BBC Concert Orchestra"
5. Stevie Wonder "Live At Last"
6. Diana Krall "Live In Rio"
7. Jethro Tull "Live In Montreux 2003"
8. Quincy Jones "75th Birthday Celebration "Live At Montreux"

I remain hopeful that one day we'll get to hear some really ear popping surround work on Blu Ray.

I didn't know the Iron Maiden title even exists but the rest of the titles you mention I own and would recommend. Last I checked several Image Entertainment concert Blu-ray discs were available for $7.99 at Amazon.com incluing Roy Orbison "Black and White Night" which is a favorite of mine.

Chris

Looks like price has gone up(12.49 now) unless I'm missing something. I have the Roy Orbison in Dvd, can't think that surround would be much better in BR or is it?
Is the Heart in Seattle worth getting as i saw the show on HD NET, show looked good but surround was very weak but wasn't sure if that is a cable sound problem.
Does someone have this one in BR and let me know if surround is any good?

Looks like price has gone up(12.49 now) unless I'm missing something. I have the Roy Orbison in Dvd, can't think that surround would be much better in BR or is it?
Is the Heart in Seattle worth getting as i saw the show on HD NET, show looked good but surround was very weak but wasn't sure if that is a cable sound problem.
Does someone have this one in BR and let me know if surround is any good?

Yes, "Black and White Night" did go up to $12.49. I think the DVD-V is excellent and the Blu-ray version even better but I would think purchasing concerts you don't have is a better choice, especially when the DVD-V is so good. I don't think the Heart disc is even close to as good as the Roy Orbison disc, I have only played it once. Almost all other Blu-ray concert discs I own I like better.

Chris

There's a Blu-Ray disc I found at Sam's called "LEGENDS". I don't have it here (loaned to a new local Oppo owner! :D), but it has Eric Clapton on it. It cost about $12 as I recall. It has a fantastic audio track. Well worth it if you like the blues/rock type of music.

Back