Toshiba Announces End of HD-DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Well, it's official now. See Toshiba's announcement on the news wire at http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20080219005651&newsLang=en

>>February 19, 2008 03:00 AM Eastern Time

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses
Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba’s commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

Contacts

Toshiba Corporation
Keisuke Ohmori, +81-3-3457-2105
Corporate Communications Office
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/contact/media.htm
or
Weber Shandwick for Toshiba
Dane Estes, +1-425-452-5400
[email protected] <<

No announcement regarding plans for Blu-ray. I am sure Toshiba knows the margins are going to be slim and may not even get involved since there are about a dozen manufacturers already. HD DVD wasn't the focus of this announcement really, other than admitting the obvious, HD DVD was a huge money loser. Toshiba has huge plans for other businesses and the Toshiba stock price shows a 6% gain. Goldman Sachs indicated estimated losses of $370,000,000 to $470,000,000 a year for Toshiba to continue the HD DVD business.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iTHHXJdHiSuq8n1753HbYdPYHbKwD8UT848O0

Chris

Why would anyone want to buy a Toshiba BD player, unless it was real cheap? I doubt they want to lose any more money by making cheap Blu's. At least now maybe more folks will make the leap and more titles will come out.

Boy, I can't ever remember a manufacturer/format get slammed like this ever. This will make an interesting thesis for some college student.

You throw enough good money after bad with no hope of recovery, and you will eventually go out of business ... 4.0 GPA! ;)

It's not the "good money" that was thrown that would be more interesting to read about! ;)

Why would anyone want to buy a Toshiba BD player, unless it was real cheap? I doubt they want to lose any more money by making cheap Blu's. At least now maybe more folks will make the leap and more titles will come out.

Boy, I can't ever remember a manufacturer/format get slammed like this ever. This will make an interesting thesis for some college student.

Toshiba built some really nice HD DVD players, but unless the company can equal the quality and offer Blu-ray players at a bargain price and make money, it makes no sense to try. I fully expect Toshiba to sit on the sidelines with Blu-ray now and just accept the DVD player licensing fees that will come with each Blu-ray player. It may be at some point some Blu-ray players will be available without DVD playback to save a little money, but I don't expect that any time soon.

Chris

This has been an amazingly quick demise, not unlike a house of cards collapsing to the floor once it really got started.

I never thought HD-DVD really put up any kind of realistic fight. The mighty Blu Ray didn't so much squash them like bugs; in fact they voluntarily jumped into tanks of Raid! Everyone is relieved that it is over, perhaps Toshiba more than anyone.

Toshiba built some really nice HD DVD players, but unless the company can equal the quality and offer Blu-ray players at a bargain price and make money, it makes no sense to try. I fully expect Toshiba to sit on the sidelines with Blu-ray now and just accept the DVD player licensing fees that will come with each Blu-ray player. It may be at some point some Blu-ray players will be available without DVD playback to save a little money, but I don't expect that any time soon.

Chris

Toshiba seems to be taking this quite hard from their comments in the press today. Very interesting.

From what's been posted on line, I don't expect to see Toshiba Blu-Ray players any time soon!

From Engadget:
"In the Q&A session following Toshiba's HD DVD dumping event in Japan, Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation made a bit of a surprise announcement. While it remains committed to standard DVD, they have "no plan at all at this moment" to take up the Blu-ray format. He also stated that Tosh has no plans for a next-next gen format at all. Perhaps they are just licking their wounds until HD downloads become a reality."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/toshiba-no-plans-to-adopt-blu-ray/

With so many in the marketplace waiting until the format war was over to commit, it made sense that someone had to blink. And you could be sure it wouldn't be any consortium whose membership included Sony.

EVerybody paid everybody else. That's business on that level. It's not unusual and will happen over and over again. Although in the short term this may have effected some folks (who bought HD-DVD), in the long run and looking towards the future, the "single format" deal is worth whatever suffering and cash that was spent so that we only have to deal with a single player for future video. I think that the future is bright for Blu now, and by Christmas it will be all the rage. I just hope they don't screw it up by keeping the prices high or raising them.

Will movies exclusive to HD-DVD become available soon on BR?

Probably. Since the HD masters are already prepared, it should not take a lot of effort to create BD discs from them.

I would say that for BD to really take off, the studios should pump out some seriously desirable titles that will make people who don't have a player really really want to get a player. The sooner the better. Now is the time to strike!

That's how the market for this type of thing grows. (Of course, that's what we all said about the DSOTM SACD! :mad:@:)

I read on some other forum that Sony paid WB 40 million to jump the HD ship.

That would have been a bargain - given that Toshiba paid Paramount over $100 Million to move to HD-DVD last year!

The bottom line is that with new formats marketing payments and subsidies are a fact of life. That includes, by the way, payments to record labels during the '70s Quad Era.

Cool! I'll get $50 because I bought my XA2 from them. This is great because there is no way I would trade that sucker in as it's the best HD player of its time. Now it will be interesting to see what they have planned for "trading in" the HD-DVD movies. There are some that I would consider dumping, while others I think would be worth keeping due to the "extra features" that may or may not appear on any subsequent BD release.

Good link, Chris!

Back