Toshiba SY-404 CD4 demodulator

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radioheadrox

I was in a local Cash Converters today and spotted one of these. Although my JVC 4DD5 is at least 'mostly working,' it clearly still had some problems. I took a risk and bought this Toshiba SY-404 demodulator and surprise surprise, it works with no splatty sounds and great separation using my Grado Green (and sounds much better than my JVC 4DD-5... that unit has some problems in the muting/demodulation circuits; I was getting very splatty/sandpapery playback).

So, does anybody have any information about this unit? I've searched the internet and have found no mention of one of these. I can post some pictures if you guys would like.

Thanks,

James

Yes, please do post pictures, and also if you feel like it open up the unit and tell me the numbers on the IC's inside. Also, does the unit have manual or automatic carrier level? I try and collect a sample of every demodulator produced, and was not aware of this model. I recently picked up one that I knew existed but I never found, a Magnavox CD-4 demodulator from their short lived MX division. Take a picture of the main board inside the unit to post as well, so we can determine which chipset and style it was patterned after. Thanks, Nick

I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance (I'm gonna be busy for the next day or so). The unit has manual carrier level. I have had it open and 4 of the ICs are Toshiba TA7122P ICs (these exact ICs are in my JVC 4DD5). There are probably others as well, I'll take a closer look when I open it again for pictures.

It also has separate phono inputs for moving magnet and semi-conductor cartridges.

I'll post some pics soon,

James

Attachments

• demodulating.jpg
    demodulating.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 359
Thank you for the excellent pictures, they along with your information answer much about that units design. Thank you for taking the time to snap the pictures and post them. I checked in a few Hi-Fi buyers guides this week, and saw that it was listed for sale in the USA. I just never ran into that model around here. Most sold were Marantz, Panasonic, JVC, and the SH-400 Technics. Layfayette and Claricon units turned up also, but otherwise I never saw some of the others during the era when they were current. Sincerely, Nick

Quad First said:
Thank you for the excellent pictures, they along with your information answer much about that units design. Thank you for taking the time to snap the pictures and post them. I checked in a few Hi-Fi buyers guides this week, and saw that it was listed for sale in the USA. I just never ran into that model around here. Most sold were Marantz, Panasonic, JVC, and the SH-400 Technics. Layfayette and Claricon units turned up also, but otherwise I never saw some of the others during the era when they were current. Sincerely, Nick

No problem Nick. Just out of curiousity, did you come across the list price of this demodulator?

James

Hi,
You can enjoy CD-4 playback perfectly by using this Toshiba C404 Electret Condenser Cartridge.

Attachments

• DSCF0070.JPG
    DSCF0070.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 306
A great big blank in the data base regarding this and most Toshiba quad goodies.

Sniff.

I do show an eBay selling price of $73 awhile back.

Toshiba didn't advertise much and the reviewrs in the audio magazines apparently shunned the brand for some reason.

Sniff

Hi fellows,

I own a SY-404 since the seventies and used it for tracking CD-4 records
with an Aurex (Toshiba) Cartridge C-404 x (Shibata) via the CC (Condenser
Cartridge) input. The C-404 was top-of-the-line of Toshiba`s condenser
electret phono pickups at that time (later only topped by the C-400). I have the full set of manuals (user, service, etc.) and an advert. Due to business
I had a close connetion to the audio-people at Toshiba during the seventies.

This is why I own a lot of Toshiba specs for amps and other goodies form the
seventies, although my heart did beat for other brands. However - Toshiba
was and is one of the leading manufacturers of Transistors and Integrated
Circuits - that was a big benefit for their rank of audio-products at that time.
It may well be the basic circuit of the SY-404 is similar to the JVC. To me it
seems Toshiba only added the circuit for their CC cartridge line, by conncting
the output simply to the input of the MM input. From there on the SY-404
may be a JVC in truth. But this is just a guess, I never checked it out really.
The only thing I remember is, the level of noise was a bit higher by using the
CC input stage than it was by using the MM input. This may result from the internal converting of the CC output to the low-voltage MM input.

Anyway - it really is a very rare find today. If someone has interest in a copy of the specs I will try my best to scan it. Will be better as black/white copy, hopefully. Just let me know.

Hi, I recently located one of these demodulators for my collection. Shown is the unit being prepared for shipment to me. It is still in its original carton, sitting on top of it is a Victor Japan (JVC) CD4-10 demodulator. I am assuming that the Toshiba will come with the original owners manual, but if not, I would appreciate your scanning of that manual. Also if you have the service manual and/or schematics for the unit, those would be most apprecaited as well. I recall seeing this unit in a US Hi-Fi magazine's annual roundup of equipment, I will look tomorrow in my quad files, then scan and post the article. I am sure the article also showed the original suggested list price when it was sold in the USA.

Hi Sansuisony,
since a few days I have a Toshiba SY-404, but without documents. PLEASE, can you send me a copy of the specs and whatever you have from the Toshiba?
Ik got already a 4-channel amplifier, a Philops GP422 pickup catridge and some quadraphonic LP's. So I hope to create a good set-up of all equipment, but have no experience or good documentaion how to do it yet. Thanks a lot: Jos (From the Netherlands in Europe). I have more condensor-cartridges (accuphase AC3), but do not know if they are usable for quadraphonic purrposes.

Did anyone ever manage to get hold of a copy of the service manual, and willing to share?

Back