Toys in the Attic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryW

Picked up Aerosmith's first multichannel release, and it's not bad. Ain't great, but not bad. As far as sonics go, "Toys" has never sounded better. Compared to other SACD sonics, it is not spectacular. The surround mix is serviceable, active and discrete. I was not overwhelmed by this disc, but I wasn't underwhelmed either. I guess I was just sufficiently "whelmed". I think the biggest problem I had with this disc is that I listened to it after the "Sympathy for the Devil" disc. That was spectacular and in comparison "Toys" came off a little flat. If you are an Aerosmith fan I would say that this is a "must-buy", if you are one who can take em or leave em, then I would put this disc in the same category, though "Toys" is arguably their best album. I will listen to the disc again tonight and modify my opinion if need be, however I will state that in my opinion the "Sympathy" disc is a "must-buy" for everyone with SACD surround capabilities.

Last edited:
If you live in an area with a Fry's Electronics, you can pick up this SACD for $9.99. For that price, it makes it that much better.

As to the disc, I think 'Sweet Emotion' is the best track and is demo quality for surround sacd on a classic rock track.

Enjoy

sacd29 said:
If you live in an area with a Fry's Electronics, you can pick up this SACD for $9.99. For that price, it makes it that much better.

As to the disc, I think 'Sweet Emotion' is the best track and is demo quality for surround sacd on a classic rock track.

Enjoy

Does anyone know if this uses the original quad mix? I'm sure someone is up for A/Bing this...

If the chap was merely "whelmed" I doubt it could be the same effective and musically flattering Q8 mix I heard many times back in the day.

It may be like the Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune SACD MC mix that is alternately revealing then a bit aggravating. Hope not...

bizmopeen said:
Does anyone know if this uses the original quad mix? I'm sure someone is up for A/Bing this...

My understanding is that it is a new 5.1 Surround Mix.

This disc is outstanding! It blows away the BOC sacd. It really get's cooking on Walk This Way, and doesn't let up! To me, it sounds just like a classic rock sacd should. Light in the rears, and LOT'S of guitar up front. I kept turning this thing up as it played, and I'm surprised the neighbors didn't complain. Also, my sub never sounded better with any of my other rock sacd's. If you have the Aerosmith Greatest sacd, and was not to happy with it, ( like me ) you will be very happy with this one.

King63 said:
This disc is outstanding! It blows away the BOC sacd. It really get's cooking on Walk This Way, and doesn't let up! To me, it sounds just like a classic rock sacd should. Light in the rears, and LOT'S of guitar up front. I kept turning this thing up as it played, and I'm surprised the neighbors didn't complain. Also, my sub never sounded better with any of my other rock sacd's. If you have the Aerosmith Greatest sacd, and was not to happy with it, ( like me ) you will be very happy with this one.

Agreed, it's a lot of fun in SACD Surround !

I heard a preview of "Walk This Way" from the SACD awhile back at an AES Conference and wasn't disappointed when I got to hear the finished product earlier today. Recommended for Aerosmith and Rock Fans.

Back