Tried the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L with the McIntosh MX950 system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIBY

I thought what the hell and went over to my Jeep dealer to try the new Grand Cherokee L with V8 and Mcintosh system.

Set the EQ to center and shut off surround mode. My source was a Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z via balanced 4.4mm jack to aux. Played .DSF native DSD 64 test songs from SACD rips.

I didn't even know there was a Aux jack until I showed up. Only other high end system I know of on the market would be the Acura ELS 3d. Everyone else has gone to usb only sadly. Basically only two suvs on the market that have been released in the last 5 years.

only 2017/18 Volvo V90/S90 with bowers & wilkins, Jagular XJ with meridian/3D sound system, Lexus ES/ LS/ LC Mark levinson, and Genesis G80/G90 2017-2019 are the only sedans that have Aux input.

My impression of the system was it was bass heavy and lacked detail and clarity. I had to EQ to flatten the tuning to a more reference level.

download.jpg

Outside of the brief audio playback due to the annoyingly talkative salesman. I think I maybe got 3 minutes.

The Jeep is much better built platform than the Acura MDX. I'd hope so since Stelantis spent $1 billion dollars on the development and design. A true RWD platform and a real V8 engine with offroad capability make this a win. Not counting being able to tow over 6,000 pounds

The new Acura MDX type S is going to cost $60K plus which is a joke compared to the jeep. Even then the two row grand cherokee is going to be a few grand over the Acura RDX. Which is a no brainer since both the MDX and RDX are front wheel drive platforms.

I thought what the hell and went over to my Jeep dealer to try the new Grand Cherokee L with V8 and Mcintosh system.

Set the EQ to center and shut off surround mode. My source was a Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z via balanced 4.4mm jack to aux. Played .DSF native DSD 64 test songs from SACD rips.

I didn't even know there was a Aux jack until I showed up. Only other high end system I know of on the market would be the Acura ELS 3d. Everyone else has gone to usb only sadly. Basically only two suvs on the market that have been released in the last 5 years.

only 2017/18 Volvo V90/S90 with bowers & wilkins, Jagular XJ with meridian/3D sound system, Lexus ES/ LS/ LC Mark levinson, and Genesis G80/G90 2017-2019 are the only sedans that have Aux input.

My impression of the system was it was bass heavy and lacked detail and clarity. I had to EQ to flatten the tuning to a more reference level.

View attachment 73277

But LOVE those Trademark McIntosh pale blue VU meters! VERY classy touch!

I have a 2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. The sound system is Alpine branded. It does has an Aux port, but I never use it.

I filled out a PDF wish list with my Jeep dealer for the 2022 Grand Cherokee L, can't even get a price yet. I am only interested in the two row. I don't like the 3 row seating.

I filled out a PDF wish list with my Jeep dealer for the 2022 Grand Cherokee L, can't even get a price yet. I am only interested in the two row. I don't like the 3 row seating.
I have no use for the 3rd row. My last vehicle was a 3 row Traverse. I never used the extra seating and the extra length of the vehicle causes some issues when parking in my garage.

Awesome HiFi
But I'd rather listen to a Grand Cherokee with the 707 HP Hellcat Hemi with a set of exhaust dumps installed.
Nice to see that for 2022 they still haven't caved to PC pressure and changed the Cherokee name. What BS

I now have my eye on a Grand Cherokee 2023 as a EV Hybrid for my daily driver. Still will have the McIntosh. My understanding a Hybrid EV is different than say a Prius Hybrid that goes back and forth between electric and gas. The Hybrid EV is electric only until you empty the battery and then switches to gas and is charge at home.
The new Grand Cherokee will have a smaller engine 3.6 but turbo charged so tends to balance out.
The one that I ordered with the 5.7 Hemi, I did not like so I will try again in 2023.

Reactions: GOS
One thing I hate about the UConnect system found in the Jeep/Chrysler vehicles is that it HAD surround support and they removed it. Now the only surround mode available is some upmixing. Real surround doesn't get read properly

Agreed on the UConnect. Fortunately for me 2021 Challenger, my UConnect at least has worked perfect for how it was intended.
My biggest complaint is the back up screen. I have a 2017 Ford Escape and the back up screen is way better than the 2021 UConnect.
My surround sound setting was there but when pulled apart the dash there was no center speaker.
I have a surround sound setting also in the Ford.
I don't use it, it is kind of weird. My 2021 Challenger true 5.1 surround build that I have been working on for at least 6 months might get finished next week?
THIS LINK ON QQ

One thing I hate about the UConnect system found in the Jeep/Chrysler vehicles is that it HAD surround support and they removed it. Now the only surround mode available is some upmixing. Real surround doesn't get read properly
My lady has had Chryslers for 10+ years now, maybe longer. Either 300s or Chargers, All had Uconnect. Once they dumped the disc players they went to SD cards and then eventually to USB inputs. None ever played anything in discrete surround. Hell, until a few years ago, they wouldn't even play flac files. So if what you say is true, it have only been available on premium badged systems or something. What sources are you saying used to play in surround?

My lady has had Chryslers for 10+ years now, maybe longer. Either 300s or Chargers, All had Uconnect. Once they dumped the disc players they went to SD cards and then eventually to USB inputs. None ever played anything in discrete surround. Hell, until a few years ago, they wouldn't even play flac files. So if what you say is true, it have only been available on premium badged systems or something. What sources are you saying used to play in surround?
I could have sworn it was around the time when FLAC support was added. It worked for a bit, then they broke it or removed it somehow.
I could very well be wrong but that's what I remember.

I could have sworn it was around the time when FLAC support was added. It worked for a bit, then they broke it or removed it somehow.
I could very well be wrong but that's what I remember.
My Jeep and her Charger are the first generation I know of to play Flac. In both vehicles, there is a surround mode, but it isn't discreet surround. It extracts a faux surround field from a stereo source.

My 2021 Challenger plays all stereo FLAC, via FAT32 USB stick, including up to 24/192. Does not play any compressed version of a dsf file.
It will play a FLAC 5.1 or 4.0 up to 24/96, but downmixes to stereo.

I’ve been driving Jeep Grand Cherokee’s for a decade now and really like the standard stereo system that’s installed. Curious about this upgraded McIntosh sound system on the Grand Cherokee L’s.

Back