Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at that manual on line. It's clear as mud. It spends most of the time talking about the recording software. Even though I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary with the pre, what are you using for a ground wire? Tiny gauge is preferable. If you have one around, a long telephone cord is a good choice. Hook that up and see if it makes a difference.

I just looked at that manual on line. It's clear as mud. It spends most of the time talking about the recording software. Even though I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary with the pre, what are you using for a ground wire? Tiny gauge is preferable. If you have one around, a long telephone cord is a good choice. Hook that up and see if it makes a difference.
LOL! The ground wire came with the TT. So, it's permanently attached to the RCA cable...yes, it's very tiny gauge. Sorry, been sidetracked. I'm cleaning up my audio room and have shit laying everywhere...

LOL! The ground wire came with the TT. So, it's permanently attached to the RCA cable...yes, it's very tiny gauge. Sorry, been sidetracked. I'm cleaning up my audio room and have shit laying everywhere...
Did you add length to the ground wire when you added the cable and moved the table?

Is it smelling bad in there?

Reactions: GOS
Is the turntable powered from the same outlet strip as the receiver?

If not, a simple experiment might be to run a good heavy-gauge extension cord to your turntable from the same strip as your the AVR.
[To ensure the power cord grounds are referenced to the same electrical point, not looping around the room from a different outlet with other loads.]

No, in fact, I'm now wondering if I left the ground un-attached when I added the longer cables. Sorry, I did this some time back and I'm just recollecting what I did. I'm asking all these questions because I'm rearranging my room and would love to move the TT.

Gene, I don't know if you'd consider a turntable shelf but it needs some wall space and would isolate your TT from the subs. Here's some info from music direct: https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/rega-wall-mount-for-rega-turntables

Here's another for PRO~JECT Turntables: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/pro-ject-wallmount-1-wall-shelf

Here's a verified purchaser's review:
andrew b.
Verified Buyer
***** 5 stars

11/08/18
simple and effective

For a simple shelf this thing really works finally I can use my subwoofer without the needle dancing. Should have done this long ago I tried everything else until wall mounting did the trick. thanks andyb

Last edited:
This time I gotta strongly agree with Ralphie on a tweak. A turntable shelf mounted to the wall can do wonders for even low fi turntables. And it will make a merely good table sound absolutely great. If you are serious about vinyl and you have the room, a shelf is the way to go. (y)(y)(y)

This time I gotta strongly agree with Ralphie on a tweak. A turntable shelf mounted to the wall can do wonders for even low fi turntables. And it will make a merely good table sound absolutely great. If you are serious about vinyl and you have the room, a shelf is the way to go. (y)(y)(y)

Just this ONE TIME, LuvMyQUAD?

Just make sure, Gene, Mrs. Gos doesn't use the shelf for knick knacks!:eek:

Gene, I don't know if you'd consider a turntable shelf but it needs some wall space and would isolate your TT from the subs. Here's some info from music direct: https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/rega-wall-mount-for-rega-turntables

Here's another for PRO~JECT Turntables: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/pro-ject-wallmount-1-wall-shelf

Here's a verified purchaser's review:
andrew b.
Verified Buyer
***** 5 stars

11/08/18
simple and effective

For a simple shelf this thing really works finally I can use my subwoofer without the needle dancing. Should have done this long ago I tried everything else until wall mounting did the trick. thanks andyb
Yes, I've been looking at that...for quite some time. I just can't get myself to pull the trigger. None of my buddies have one, so I have nothing to compare to.

I do have the room, actually......

I do have the room, actually......

Then, whattaya waiting for?:unsure:

c2bbcd7c3f487f31a4ee75c3a592adf9.jpg

MY GLASS WAS HALF FULL until I emptied it!

Last edited:
I also highly recommend a turntable shelf, but I didn't buy one, I made one. I got a piece of butcher's block at a thrift for $20 and some heavy duty L-brackets at Home Depot for like $8 more. I used rubber grommets through the mounting holes to A) provide further isolation and B) allow for fine tuning of the leveling of the shelf. Before I did this I was very susceptible to foot falls, now the whole family can dance to the tunes with no issues.

JVC4.jpg

I also highly recommend a turntable shelf, but I didn't buy one, I made one. I got a piece of butcher's block at a thrift for $20 and some heavy duty L-brackets at Home Depot for like $8 more. I used rubber grommets through the mounting holes to A) provide further isolation and B) allow for fine tuning of the leveling of the shelf. Before I did this I was very susceptible to foot falls, now the whole family can dance to the tunes with no issues.

JVC4.jpg

And a beautiful shelf it is, markshan ... and the important thing ..... it works!

Back