UHJ four channel?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found Stereo Lab software but Ambisonics is only included in the "Audiophile" version.

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_Ambisonic_software
Found Stereo Lab software but Ambisonics is only included in the "Audiophile" version.

UHJ isn’t really used much by professionals these days, more by home users, now higher order full ambisonics is pretty much fully developed and in use. I found a VST for UHJ but I have not investigated its functionality (proprietary/closed source section but free to use. Ironbridge Software):

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_Ambisonic_software

Hi Mark. This list is probably the least out of date I could find that has a good listing of ambi material and I admit I don’t often look at it as much these days. Meridian should be added if possible. Do you know whether anyone has charge of the article/list now?
Martin Leese created the Ambisonic FAQ and his email is on that page. I have not corresponded with him in a while but see he is still active on the sursound email list from time to time. You might want to try and reach him to see if he is interested in doing an update.
If I was needing an ambi decoder I would certainly look at an earlier model Meridian as they can be affordable compared to recent models for the average joe.

Minim AD series are very good. Meridian make them these days but the current ones are costly. I’d recommend used Meridian units (the 565, 568.2, G61 series and G68 series). Meridian ones are probably the best as the digital processing matrices are extremely accurately aligned.

The 568.2 is probably both the easiest to find and at a reasonable price. The G series are the most flexible, but still quite expensive, and can be set up via PC/Windoze (or in Mac OS using something like Parallels) using Meridian’s configuration program. Otherwise, setup is through a wizard on the units’ displays.

If you don’t have anything against software decoders and the computer route then I think these may be around as plug-ins (VSTs, AUs etc). I will have to rummage around a bit…

I've also had a Meridian 561 on the list of possible units to buy used. I've got nothing against software decodes, I've just never done any ripping or had a computer integrated in my system. I still play everything off of the source medium.

I've also had a Meridian 561 on the list of possible units to buy used. I've got nothing against software decodes, I've just never done any ripping or had a computer integrated in my system. I still play everything off of the source medium.

The 561 looks good, too. I’d have to check on whether it’s still supported by the configuration program. I know the 565 is not.
Martin Leese created the Ambisonic FAQ and his email is on that page. I have not corresponded with him in a while but see he is still active on the sursound email list from time to time. You might want to try and reach him to see if he is interested in doing an update.
If I was needing an ambi decoder I would certainly look at an earlier model Meridian as they can be affordable compared to recent models for the average joe.

As I lurk on the surround mailing list, I will try to see if he has said anything about looking after the page.

Side note. It’s interesting that ambisonics is in the stereophile section, from which it might be inferred that it is considered by the software author to be of enhanced fidelity (over stereo?) or something, of which I would agree.

Back