Unintentional Quad? (Funkadelic)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopperCharles

I've noticed that some stereo albums have pretty decent separation when played in Regular Matrix on my (non-logic) Pioneer QX4000. To the point where certain instruments play in specific channels. Often drums are at the rear, for instance. Vocals are usually right behind my head, and guitars will change position often.

Is this just a happy circumstance? Or is this by design of the QS/RM decoder? I find if I switch to SQ mode the separation often disappears, although all channels get slightly brighter in SQ mode.

Now, one of the coolest records I have with unintentional quad is the reissue of Funkadelic's "Electric Spanking of War Babies." It sounds great, instruments and voices are in different speakers, and frankly it sounds more discrete than many of my actual quadraphonic albums. Has anyone else had a similar experience with better (logic) equipment?

Charles.

I've noticed that some stereo albums have pretty decent separation when played in Regular Matrix on my (non-logic) Pioneer QX4000. To the point where certain instruments play in specific channels. Often drums are at the rear, for instance. Vocals are usually right behind my head, and guitars will change position often.

Is this just a happy circumstance? Or is this by design of the QS/RM decoder? I find if I switch to SQ mode the separation often disappears, although all channels get slightly brighter in SQ mode.

Now, one of the coolest records I have with unintentional quad is the reissue of Funkadelic's "Electric Spanking of War Babies." It sounds great, instruments and voices are in different speakers, and frankly it sounds more discrete than many of my actual quadraphonic albums. Has anyone else had a similar experience with better (logic) equipment?

Charles.

There are a lot of those happy coincidences. Check out Stereo Sounding Good In Quad on the forum;
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?28-Stereo-Sounding-Good-in-Quad

QS/RM decoders tend to be the best for synthesizing Quad. SQ decoders tend to yield results that are fair at best when synthesizing. The Vario-Matrix circuit on my Sansui is my preference, followed by Vari-Matrix on my Marantz. The RM circuitry on my Sony SQD-2020 is my third choice. All do a nice job. Which synthesizer yields the best results is somewhat dependent on the software. I prefer these vintage synthesizers to the circuitry in my modern equipment.

Although SQ isn't the best synthesizer, a full-logic or Tate decoder with SQ software is my preference over any QS decoder with QS software. Tate owners often laud its' synthesizing capabilities. As repeatedly mentioned in other threads, non-logic SQ decoders are near useless.

Hah, "software". I have a pre-logic decoder in my Pioneer QX-4000, and even there it's quite noticeable when an album really plays well in quad.

Charles.

Quad began with simple, passive circuitry (no rear amp) circuitry to take advantage of phase information on stereo records, with two rear speakers added.
$(KGrHqJ,!nQE-)+U3lF4BPzT)bB(kQ~~60_35.JPG

By software, I was referring to LP's, CD's & tapes.

Charles.

Have you heard about Electric Ladyland?;)

Back