Wallflowers - Collected - BestBuy Exclusive DTS DVD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys,

I found this thread on stevehoffman:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-compilations-of-their-singles-in-5-1.235005/

Somebody mentions the Wallflowers:

The Wallflowers partnered up with Best Buy to release a DVD to accompany their greatest hits CD "Collected". It has all of the videos they released between 1996-2005 in 5.1 and 5.1 DTS along with a stereo track.

Holy sh*t this made my heart skip a beat. Does anybody have this DVD and can you comment on the mix?

I received it on Friday. Can't agree with tlake. It sounds like they put all the audio in the center channel. The other 5 channels are dressing at best. Hardly noticeable. The CD itself is a nice Wallflowers overview, although I have 2 of their 4 albums already and plan to get the "Red Letter Days" SACD (great mix), which will make "Collected" pretty much redundant. Will probably sell it again at some point.

So for Wallflowers in 5.1, there's really only the above SACD. Apart from what, seek out the "Wallflowers Collected Live" bootleg. Now that's a real treat.

I'd never heard of this either! .. but their "Red Letter Days" SACD is excellent and well worth getting! the "Rebel Sweetheart" DualDisc on the other hand, terrible surround mix...!

Bummer, I also ordered this and now am regretting having placed the order....ah well, it was only about $12.00 after all.

I received it on Friday. Can't agree with tlake. It sounds like they put all the audio in the center channel. The other 5 channels are dressing at best. Hardly noticeable. The CD itself is a nice Wallflowers overview, although I have 2 of their 4 albums already and plan to get the "Red Letter Days" SACD (great mix), which will make "Collected" pretty much redundant. Will probably sell it again at some point.

So for Wallflowers in 5.1, there's really only the above SACD. Apart from what, seek out the "Wallflowers Collected Live" bootleg. Now that's a real treat.

I'd never heard of this either! .. but their "Red Letter Days" SACD is excellent and well worth getting! the "Rebel Sweetheart" DualDisc on the other hand, terrible surround mix...!

Agreed. One of only three Surround releases I sold again after buying. Shame, the album is great.

Hey GabeL, you're lucky, I paid 30 to get it to Canada. :) The Wallflowers are worth the investment to me, tho. Can you post back here when you get "Collected"? Perhaps it's just my perception... I will give it another shot or two. But the first time I heard it, I popped in Gabriel's "Play" afterwards cos I wondered if my sound system was finally completely broken...

Agreed. One of only three Surround releases I sold again after buying. Shame, the album is great.

Hey GabeL, can you post back here when you get "Collected"? Perhaps it's just my perception... I will give it another shot or two. But the first time I heard it, I popped in Gabriel's "Play" afterwards cos I wondered if my sound system was finally completely broken...

it is a great shame, the album's a good'un. just out of interest, what were the other 2 you sold straight away? Silverline's by any chance!? :eek:

Nah... Never had any Silverline titles. It was "Peace Sells" by Megadeth and "A Hangover you don't Deserve" by Bowling for Soup. They both really suck (again, great albums, so wasted opportunities).

Nah... Never had any Silverline titles. It was "Peace Sells" by Megadeth and "A Hangover you don't Deserve" by Bowling for Soup. They both really suck (again, great albums, so wasted opportunities).

There are a few (literally a "few") decent Silverline's.. but you're right to avoid, they're mostly only good for using for replacement narrow hinged broken DVDA cases! :eek:

ah, the Megadeth.. I agree an album worthy of much better treatment.. the sound quality sucks too.. its also (yet another!) one where the Hi-Rez stereo through PLII works out better than the 5.1 mix.

Regards Silverline - Ziroq, Rambient, Styx, Curse of Blondie, BJ Cole - Trouble in Paradise, Tipper all have excellent mixes...to name a few..

Regards Silverline - Ziroq, Rambient, Styx, Curse of Blondie, BJ Cole - Trouble in Paradise, Tipper all have excellent mixes...to name a few..

Fair play, I've a few of those and they are indeed keepers! :eek:

I'd add "Josh One/Narrow Path" and "Yellow Note - We Love Everybody You're Next" and "Motörhead - Ace of Spades" to that Silverline keepers list, they're all excellent in surround too.. oh and there's an Aaron Neville Silverline DVDA (name escapes me right now.. is it "Believe"..!?) that doesn't suck either.

I certainly will :)

Hey GabeL, you're lucky, I paid 30 to get it to Canada. :) The Wallflowers are worth the investment to me, tho. Can you post back here when you get "Collected"? Perhaps it's just my perception... I will give it another shot or two. But the first time I heard it, I popped in Gabriel's "Play" afterwards cos I wondered if my sound system was finally completely broken...

Any chance for adding a poll for this release? I think the lowest scoring entries are just as important (if not more important) than the high scoring entries. I got pretty excited when I saw The Wallflowers - Collected DVD in surround, but this discussion saved me a lot of time and money.

Latest posts

Back