Quad LP/Tape Poll Walsh, Joe: The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Q8/QS LP of Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'd love for D-V to do this (and all the other ABC quads) but I'm pretty sure all the quad masters went up in the UMG fire. There probably was a safety copy, and it most likely was stored right next to the master tape in the same location so it's not much use - if labels are storing tapes as UMG apparently was storing all this stuff, they're certainly not going to have the foresight to store the originals and backups in two separate locations.

The unfortunate thing for the ABC quads is that they had very limited international distribution - some of them were issued as QS LPs in Japan, which is a dead end because the US label would've just sent vinyl stampers, and not discrete master tapes. The only other place they were issued was as Q8s here in Canada - I did some detective work a few years back (because of my previously stated desire for D-V to do these, I wanted to give Mike avenues to explore for tapes) and in Canada they were produced by the Canadian arm of GRT Tapes, which went bankrupt in 1977 or 1978, and manufactured by Cinram (who later went on to be Canada's biggest manufacturer of CDs). Cinram went bankrupt in the mid-2010s and is now owned by Technicolor.

It's not impossible that those ABC quad safety copies sent to Cinram 50 years ago might exist somewhere deep in their archives, but I suspect they were either destroyed at some point or returned to GRT or ABC - I'd love to be proven wrong though, and I'd love even more to be paid by a record label to solve the mystery because in my opinion it's a job that' s more than worth doing.

As for a remix from the mutlis, it would certainly be a possibility if the label was interested. Supposedly the warehouse that burned in 2008 "only" stored mixed masters and not multitrack tapes - there may be some truth to this as Rufus and Chaka Khan's 'Tell Me Something Good', a song from the same label recorded around the same time was one of the early Atmos streaming-exclusive remixes. Mike's got all the gear (not to mention the know-how) to fully replicate this quad mix (not to mention improving it, starting with the missing guitar on Rocky Mountain Way) but as I say, it's a non-starter until UMG are interested in letting him do this kind of thing.

I'd love for D-V to do this (and all the other ABC quads) but I'm pretty sure all the quad masters went up in the UMG fire. There probably was a safety copy, and it most likely was stored right next to the master tape in the same location so it's not much use - if labels are storing tapes as UMG apparently was storing all this stuff, they're certainly not going to have the foresight to store the originals and backups in two separate locations.

The unfortunate thing for the ABC quads is that they had very limited international distribution - some of them were issued as QS LPs in Japan, which is a dead end because the US label would've just sent vinyl stampers, and not discrete master tapes. The only other place they were issued was as Q8s here in Canada - I did some detective work a few years back (because of my previously stated desire for D-V to do these, I wanted to give Mike avenues to explore for tapes) and in Canada they were produced by the Canadian arm of GRT Tapes, which went bankrupt in 1977 or 1978, and manufactured by Cinram (who later went on to be Canada's biggest manufacturer of CDs). Cinram went bankrupt in the mid-2010s and is now owned by Technicolor.

It's not impossible that those ABC quad safety copies sent to Cinram 50 years ago might exist somewhere deep in their archives, but I suspect they were either destroyed at some point or returned to GRT or ABC - I'd love to be proven wrong though, and I'd love even more to be paid by a record label to solve the mystery because in my opinion it's a job that' s more than worth doing.

As for a remix from the mutlis, it would certainly be a possibility if the label was interested. Supposedly the warehouse that burned in 2008 "only" stored mixed masters and not multitrack tapes - there may be some truth to this as Rufus and Chaka Khan's 'Tell Me Something Good', a song from the same label recorded around the same time was one of the early Atmos streaming-exclusive remixes. Mike's got all the gear (not to mention the know-how) to fully replicate this quad mix (not to mention improving it, starting with the missing guitar on Rocky Mountain Way) but as I say, it's a non-starter until UMG are interested in letting him do this kind of thing.
It's my understanding that all the tapes of Jim Croce are in the hands of his widow. Those could be an option if someone were to contact her.

Grew up with the LP in stereo, got to see The James Gang reunited twice, at the State Theater and the Beachland Ballroom.
I found a DTS CD conversion of this, but I can't take a guess based on this what the original sounds like, it's all pitched up a step and a half, and sounds dull and lifeless.

Back