We need more artists like Donald Fagen

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
How about a muiltichannel "cheer" for Donald Fagan and Walter Becker.
These guys are firmly on the surround sound bandwagon, and we are the benificiaries!

Most of their recorded output is available in surround:

Can't Buy A Thrill (QS,Q8)
Coutndown to Extasy (QS,Q8)
Pretzel Logic (QS, Q8)

Katie Lied (none)
The Royal Scam (none)
Aja (none - attempted but masters are lost)
Gaucho (DTS, SACD)
The Nightfly (DVD-A)
Kamakiraid (DVD-A)
Two Against Nature (DVD-A)
Everything Must Go (DVD-A)

Maybe someday they will find the "AJA" tapes, but until they do, crank up those DVD-As, and look forward to the Gaucho SACD.

Too bad more artists were not as pro-active.

:-jon

JonUrban said:
How about a muiltichannel "cheer" for Donald Fagan and Walter Becker.
Too bad more artists were not as pro-active.

:-jon

What's odd to me is that in a recent interview, the SD 5.1 mixes were treated more as a necessary marketing exercise in their minds rather than heartfelt convictions for the format.

Twenty Year's absence?! I've seen them twice in the UK in the last 7 years! And they're not even coming this time!

On the subject of the comment in the interview - I don't think Walter's tongue could have been further in his cheek there...

Hi,
These guys have always been cutting edge tech wise.
I don't know if 1972's Can't Buy A Thrill is sceduled for "the treatment"

Lots of people have seemed to discover the DTS version of "Gaucho" since it was put in a super jewel case, but I've had this disc since mid 2000.
I'll take a gander when the dvd-a comes out but probably won't buy it since the dts version is more than ample.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi,
Lots of people have seemed to discover the DTS version of "Gaucho" since it was put in a super jewel case, but I've had this disc since mid 2000.
I'll take a gander when the dvd-a comes out but probably won't buy it since the dts version is more than ample.

Peter m.

FYI... it will be an SACD with a completely new mix by Elliott Scheiner.

Wow, Bob,
Your right, I read the piece at HFR and apparantly it was them that was approached.

Aside from the RedBook "Can't Buy a Thrill", the DTS version of Gaucho, I also own the 2 dvd-a discs that came out recently and enjoy them both.

If as is predicted a large part of their catalogue will be given the treatment, I wonder if it will come down to or already has become a bidding war between the two camps.

Now that there doing an sacd I will have to invest. I have no particular preference for well done discs, but it's just too tempting to compare the Steely Dan sound in both formats, albeit not the same disc.
There's talk of putting dts layers on sacd's. Could this be one of them?

Peter m.

Back